P4 2.8 (511) Prescott Temp. and Upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECE0105

In the zone
Hi,

I have a P4 2.8 (511) Prescott with an Intel D101GGc Motherboard.

I happened to see a lot of Dust on the Heatsink Assembly of the processor. I removed it and cleaned it using a Brush....

After putting it back in, I checked the temperature in the BIOS and find that it is 62degrees C.

Is it Normal, or should I clean the processor and put some more paste on it. Please lemme know the correct procedure to do it and can I also put the paste on my RAM, (Just for the heck of it)... Cos, I don't use ACs and the my Cabinet has only two small Fans, on the side panel, just above the processor.

Also, would it be worthwhile to upgrade to a Pentium D processor, the highest which I believe is the 950 with 3.40 GHz and 800 MHz FSB. Or the P4 D-820, cos this retails for around 5,000 in Hyderabad.

My Motherboard Revision is AAD35788-309

What would be the estimated cost of upgrading Only the Processor, I have a PC32000 512MB RAM(Running in Single Channel).

I am not looking at a full upgrade, since I have bought this rig in April this year and Do not wish to spend much, but I still feel that the computer runs quite slow.

assasin

Banned
The temp is quite normal.if u wanna upgrade den buy Pentium D 950 but it wont do u much good.Jst wait 4 few more mnths & upgrade to C2D.

OP
ECE0105

ECE0105

In the zone
Thanks for the response, could u lemme know how much my present Rig could go for and the best config that I can buy after spending a max of 10k...

assasin

Banned
Dont sell ur whole rig,just sell the proccy + mobo + RAM.For dat u'll get a max of Rs6000.
C2D E6300 = Rs.9200
Intel D965RY = Rs.6800 or Asus P5B DLX = Rs.11000
Ram: 512 = Rs.3200 & 1GB = Rs5800

AMD Athlon X2 3800+ & Asus M2N-MX = Rs.12600.

If u cant buy the C2D config,u can buy the AMD.It'll give u far better performance dan ur present rig.

OP
ECE0105

ECE0105

In the zone
Woah !!!!!!

This is way outta my budget. I guess I can go for the AMD, but Will my RAM suffice, cos the prices of RAM are increasing by the day....
Last week, I find the price of Hynix 512 MB (PC3200) for 2,900.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Dood the temp is not normal.....62 IDle!!!!....Man it should be 62-65 @full load........Your processor must be touching 80 at load....

assasin

Banned
A Prescott doing 62 C at idle is not dat bad.My previous rig (Pentium D) used to idle at 60 -64 C.

@ECE0105 Even if u buy AMD u'll hav to buy new ram cuz u'll need DDR2 ram

OP
ECE0105

ECE0105

In the zone
I think the temp thing got fixed....

Just checked and it is idling at around 57 deg. Which I hope is fine.

@ assasin, cud u lemme know which is the fastest DDR2 RAM avl. in the market...

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
@ assasin : Dood, the pentium D has 2 Prescotts glued to gether....It can even take 80degs....Smithfeild...core understand...

For Prescott.....65 at load is recommended....

, cud u lemme know which is the fastest DDR2 RAM avl. in the market...
Cellshock...1GHz @4-4-4 !!!! ..2GB kit costs 25k...I think..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom