P 3400i or the Touch Viva? Is it really worth!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpoon

Journeyman
While browsing through GSM arena (*www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone2=2527&idPhone1=1885) & comparing both the 3400 i & the Viva, I have found that the Viva scores only on 3 points.

1. More of Rom/Ram.
2. Win Mob 6.1
3. Touch Flo.

But, the 3400 i also has all the rest features as the Viva!! I have the following queries:

1. Is there a huge difference in performance, by just doubling up the Ram/ Rom in Viva?
2. Is Wind Mob 5 so bad, than version 6.1?
3. The stylus is there, why so much hue & cry about the Touch Flo?

Moreover, the price difference is a cool 6,000 bucks.

Can somebidy please throw some light on the queries & let's make a buying decision.

Wish you a Vey Happy New Year.

azzu

AJJU
1. Is there a huge difference in performance, by just doubling up the Ram/ Rom in Viva?
Yes Large Amount of Perfomance Diff
multi tasking Perfomance Boosts
2. Is Wind Mob 5 so bad, than version 6.1?
Not so Bad But many bugs rectified and New featrures added
i saw it Its just Cool i dont know Moore about it
And viva has Wlan
i wud buy viva (if i hav Money ;) )
but if u can live with little slow perfomance and win5.1(u can Upgrade to 6.0 Head to XDA forum) and also WLAN
u can get the P3400i

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
TF2D (or Manila) is a great way to escape from the dreadful interaction with the atrociously bad default WinMo UI. There's a reason why SE (XPanels), HTC (TF2D and TF3D), Samsung (TouchWiz) and the others are investing so much into building a shell on top of WinMo.
TF2D isn't buttery smooth on a phone with 64MB RAM.

x3060

A LOTR fan
well am using spb mobileshell, its great, like touch flo, oh well, you can get it in xda-forums , so dont just bother to buy a phone just for that.you can install by yourself.

and more ram is always a good sign.

OP
H

harpoon

Journeyman
Well thanks!!! X3060, can u pls clarify a bit more on the spb ( what's the full form?) mobile shell? Is is that u r using a device something like the 3400i, which can be upgraded through the XDA forums?

tech_cheetah

Journeyman
I have a P3400i, and have overclocked it from 201MHz to 247MHz.
Its performance is now acceptable.
I would suggest you to go for P3400i, if
1) You don't need WiFi in mobile
2) You can manage without running multiple applications
simultaneosly on mobile, or can tolerate sluggishness
while running multiple applications.
I have not tested Viva, but I think 6k is too much a price gap.
And yes .. P3400i has WM6

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
Few things.

I own HTC Gene. There are two models. The old model is HTC P3400 which has Windows Mobile 5. HTC P3400i is the newer one with Windows Mobile 6.
Most probably, you'll get P3400i as the older is not produced anymore.

You can update the ones with 6.1 version. Head over to XDA-Devs Forum for that.

What I have done with my Gene (P3400i)?
1. Loaded SPB Mobile Shell
2. Loaded PointUI Home
3. Loaded Opera Mobile 9.5
4. Loaded Skype

Loaded HomeScreen ++ plugin for Today Screen.
Used HomeScreen ++ plugin to overclock the CPU to 247 MHz from the default 201. Then enabled CPU-Scaler so that the CPU scales down to the specified 150 MHz when not under load from the 247 Mhz overclock; and step up to 260 when CPU is under heavy load.

And I have not needed anything after that! I have not even flashed to newer WM 6.1.
Though yeah, flashing to newer WM6.1 is recommended if you want better performance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
@harpoon. What are your needs? What do you plan to do with the mobile phone?
A price difference of Rs 6000 between Gene and Viva is not justified!
If you need WLAN, get the HTC Touch for 12k-13k.

If you do a lot of texting and calling; I suggest you not to buy a WiMo phone altogether.

Last edited:
OP
H

harpoon

Journeyman
Thank you all very much. Well, Iron Man Forever, my priority is calls & texting; however, actually, I was thinking if I could check my mails on the move. So what do you suggest?? Do I go for the 3400 i, or something else? Also, since I have to travel a lot, the Touch do not have FM, which I love.

All suggestions & help needed & welcome.

Wish you & all your family members a very happy & prosperous New Year.

x3060

A LOTR fan
happy new year to you too mate :)

*forum.xda-developers.com/
*forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=260
*forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=408

this is all you need :), enjoy

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
harpoon said:
Thank you all very much. Well, Iron Man Forever, my priority is calls & texting; however, actually, I was thinking if I could check my mails on the move. So what do you suggest?? Do I go for the 3400 i, or something else? Also, since I have to travel a lot, the Touch do not have FM, which I love.

All suggestions & help needed & welcome.
Mails are handled flawlessly by HTC Gene, courtesy "Outlook". Unfortunately FM is not there.
Listen; this is a PDA, a device you use to keep notes, organise tasks, small-scale web browsing and view mails on the move.
I personally would not be happy if I had to use the HTC Gene for calling and texting. I use it just like a PDA and it does the work I have Motorola W230 for Calls, SMS, and FM.
But yeah, the prospect of carrying 2 phones is not the most comfortable; if I could change things, I'd go for Nokia 5320XM instead of both of the phones I have.
Wish you & all your family members a very happy & prosperous New Year.
Same to you mate, happy new year.

sude

Tech'ing life seriously!!
dear harpoon
p3400i is undoubtedly one of the best looking low budget pda fone. BUT... is that all....
friend let me disclose one fact.. it has a lot of hardware and Software issues... and to ur utter surprise there are NO rehabilation to the problems... Even replacing the handset doesnt help...

check these links:

*www.htcwiki.com/thread/2159768/PROBLEM+!!!+in+HTC+P3400i+IMPORTANT+!!!?t=anon

*www.google.co.in/search?hl=en&clie...official&q=problems++htc+p3400i&start=10&sa=N

*www.google.co.in/search?hl=en&clie...ems+OR+Software++htc+p3400i&btnG=Search&meta=

*www.mobiletopsoft.com/board/2362/htc-p3400i-pda-phone-released-in-asia.html

please consider these links b4 buying ur phone....
let us kno ur decision.

-SUDE

OP
H

harpoon

Journeyman
O.K.Guys!! Thanks a lot!!! Sude, your information was gr8. From all your suggestions, I have decided not to buy the HTC touch models!! In that case, I would definitely prefer the following:

1. Touch screen based phone.
2. A decent 2.5 MP camera with flash.
3. FM.
4. Expandable memory.
5. Good sound/music quality.
6. E-mail on the move.( web browsing is not important).

Looking forward once again for all your help & suggestions.

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
^^^^ i've used the HTC Touch and i wud suggest u not to buy it.
1>Cam is crap.Only Omnia has a gud cam amongst Win Mos.
2>Sound quality is worse than Nokia.also u'll need to search for a miniUSB to 3.5mm converter to use gud ear phones.
3>Phone is slow overall & i'm talking bout the Elfin model not the Elf.

if u hafta go Win Mo then get the Samsung SGH i780.its a hell lot better than HTC Touch.it has 2.5" touch screen and full qwerty keypad with optical tracker pad.
procy is a gud 624MHz and 128MB of ram.so no worries when multitasking.u can install 3rd part apps to enable TF2D on it.also u'll be getting a 4GB microSD card bundled with the fone.

OP
H

harpoon

Journeyman
Thanks; Can you please suggest other sets with my specs, but no Nokia model pleaseee!

1. Touch screen based phone.
2. A decent 2.5 MP camera with flash.
3. FM.
4. Expandable memory.
5. Good sound/music quality.
6. E-mail on the move.( web browsing is not important).

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
why not Nokia?
the 5800XM is a very gud fone.
3.2" touchscreen,3.2MP Carl Zeiss optics cam with dual led flash,gr8 audio quality,8GB microSD card bundled with fone etc.

u can also give the Samsung SGH-F480 (TouchWiz) a try.it has a 5MP cam and costs 18k (approx).though it doesnt multitasking in true essence of the term.

SE G900i is also a gud fone.price is near 20k.its also a touchscreen fone with a 5MP cam.it runs Symbian UIQ os and supports full multitasking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom