Overclocking XFX 8600GT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

go4saket

Hi Guys!

I am absolutely new in the field of overclocking. My system config is as follows:

WinXP Pro SP3
Abit IP35-E Mobo,C2Q 6600,2GB DDR2 667 Mhz.RAM,XFX 8600GT Gfx ,Seagate 250+80GB HDD,Sony DVD RW,500w SMPS,19" Viewsonic VX922 TFT,Cordless Keyboard Mouse,Altec Lancing 2:1 Speakers.

I want to overclock my 8600GT to the max possible, obviously keeping it safe. As it is not company Overclocked, its basic values are as follows:

GPU Clock: 540 MHz
Memory: 700 MHz.

Results in FarCry2 (1280*1024, High Settings, Anti-Aliasing Off)
FPS: 28
Temp: 64 Degrees

I tried to overclock it using RivaTuner and set the values to:

GPU Clock: 660 MHz
Memory: 835 MHz.

Results in FarCry2 (1280*1024, High Settings, Anti-Aliasing Off)
FPS: 33
Temp: 70 Degrees

After about 10 Min, my computer freezed. So I brought back Memory to 700 MHz keeping all the rest same. Now I got the same FPS and my computer was running smoothly.

What I want to know here is, what does GPU Clock & Memory do and which is moe important in terms of performance. Moreover, as I am not using any special cooling unit, how far can I push my GPU safely. Is there any other and better way to overclock the GPU. Lastly, what is the maximum temp. I should consider safe. and as my fan speed is stuck at 30%, should I increase that too...

Thanks in advance.

I tried overclocking only the GPU Clock keeping the Memory intact. Here are the results that I got from 3DMark06 Pro...

Resolution : 1280x1024
Anti-Aliasing: None
Filtering: Optimal
Tests : All

GPU Clock @ 540 MHz Memory @ 700 MHz Score 5045
GPU Clock @ 680 MHz Memory @ 700 MHz Score 5685
GPU Clock @ 700 MHz Memory @ 700 MHz Score 5751

I didnt overclock any further as I wasnt sure if its going to damage my GPU as it reached a temp of 70 Degrees.

So, can I go ahead safely. What about Memory. Should I overclock it also and if yes, whats a safe value...

Last edited:

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Ohh u hav been ocing coreclock, but not memory, start by increasing to 750MHz and see.

Then go to 780MHz. Now, run the game for 30 mins.

Then see if stable.
Yes? Go for 800Mhz. Where ever u go unstable, downclock atleast 20-25Mhz and walla.

And try OCing ur CPU, that will help a LOOOOTTT

See this guide if u wanna:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96442

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Better not touch memory for OC'ing. If it burns, you need to throw away the card. It's far more sensitive than GP.

comp@ddict

Oh!kk

Well, my gfx card is more better OCer on memory side so tht's y thought so, well, give a 50Mhz up, tht won't harm I guess.

bodyquest

Träît¤r$_¥ll_$üffêr
Better not touch memory for OC'ing. If it burns, you need to throw away the card. It's far more sensitive than GP.
i can confirm that....
...i ran my voltmoded xfx 8600 gt ddr3 at 890 gpu\ 900x2:D mhz memory for 15 days

.....after that all f**ked up and now running them undrclock i.e. 720 \ 651x2:!::D...besically what it used to do was that it hanged with characteristic memory artieffect.........|||| like that..lol.....my gfx core[gpu] is fine btw.....still does 750 lol...

was cooled by DIY water [42c-55c]:cool:

currently cooled by moded intel hsf [46c-57c]

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
yes. Memory is very sensitive and you better keep it safe. If you want to OC your card, get the OC edition like Palit sonic cards or cards with dual slot cooler.

Aamir_x64

Broken In
Use riva tunner latest version and driver from xfx (178.13 stable) and overclock it to 580 and 740 with ease and change the speed of fan to 80%. Works fine, tested with my xfx 8600gt. Also if u can get some external fans. And always check the temp in nv control panek. Enjoy!

comp@ddict

ANd save profile and another to basic, so that when u r not gaming, u can quickly underclock, and save on fan sound and speed, gpu clocks and life of gpu overall!

OP
go4saket

go4saket

Resolution : 1280x1024
Anti-Aliasing: None
Filtering: Optimal
Tests : All

GPU Clock @ 700 MHz Memory @ 800 MHz Score 6082

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom