Overclock Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
I have an ASUS A7V8X-MX mobo and an AMD 2400+ processor the problem is that I am unable to overclock my CPU.
There is no mention in the bios of clock speed neither did I got any software with it.
I have already overclocked my RAM from 266FSB to 333FSB and my ASUS 5700 RAMDAC 100Mhz more than usual.
I dont have any over heating issues as I have a total of 6 fans including 1 on G-card, 1 on CPU and 1 in SMPS.
And also Pls. suggest me how much should I overclock from 2Ghz to :?: :?: :?: :?:

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
asus A7V8X - MX has maximum FSB of 333 , so its not overclocked , but normal . i think u can't go higher than that . this is stated in the M/B manual .

regarding ur GPU , a gamer here might be able to enlighten u .

darklord

Cyborg Agent
YOu have DIP switches for that mobo.So thats the only way up.
If you want to OC more,you can try going for another mobo.
I have a A7N8X-Deluxe board for sale if you are interested.

OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
klinux said:-
asus A7V8X - MX has maximum FSB of 333 , so its not overclocked , but normal

Hey bro, I was talking about the speed of my RAM yar!!!
I have 512 MB's of DDR RAM of speed 266 which I run at 333, now have you got it.

Oh yes I wanted to know how to overclock my CPU i.e. PROCESSOR and not my RAM or G-card as I have already overclocked them.!!!

But still Thanks.

OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
darklord said:-
YOu have DIP switches for that mobo.So thats the only way up. If you want to OC more,you can try going for another mobo. I have a A7N8X-Deluxe board for sale if you are interested.

Hey thanks for replying but as you have mentioned about the DIP swithces on my mobo,
well yes I have tried them, when ever I try to increase them from 133 to 166 the system wont start at all i.e. no display no processing.

Do you know any software to do it.
and also at what price are you selling it(A7N8X-Deluxe) and tell me its detailed confiuration.

Thanks!!!!

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
two things. First the VX series clocks dont inc by much ie a bad over clocker. Second the 2400+ dont OC at all as they are multiplier locked. Either get the Barton series or the Athlon mobile series. The bartons can be oced to a certain extent and the athlon mobile series comes completely unlocked. Mine is the barton and I can mx OC it to 2.3 ghz from 1.9 ghz it wont go above that. And my mobo is the A7N8X-E deluxe.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
how did u manage to run the RAM alone at 333 . isnt the speed of the ram and processor dependant on FSB . it was last time i checked . if u used the dip switches , which is the only way to run on that m/b , then u are either running it at 100 , 133 or 166 ie 200 , 266 , 333 . this also changes the speed ur running ur processor .

OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
icecoolz said:-
two things. First the VX series clocks dont inc by much ie a bad over clocker. Second the 2400+ dont OC at all as they are multiplier locked. Either get the Barton series or the Athlon mobile series. The bartons can be oced to a certain extent and the athlon mobile series comes completely unlocked. Mine is the barton and I can mx OC it to 2.3 ghz from 1.9 ghz it wont go above that. And my mobo is the A7N8X-E deluxe.

OK so can you tell the prices of these processors( Barton series or the Athlon mobile series).

THANKS !!!!

OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
klinux Said :-
how did u manage to run the RAM alone at 333 . isnt the speed of the ram and processor dependant on FSB . it was last time i checked . if u used the dip switches , which is the only way to run on that m/b , then u are either running it at 100 , 133 or 166 ie 200 , 266 , 333 . this also changes the speed ur running ur processor .

In the bios of my mobo there are options for "CPU speed" but it is locked but anoher option "DRAM clock" is not locked .
It has got 3 options 266, 333 and By SPD.
If it is run on "By SPD" my RAM runs on the speed 266. But I run it on 333.
Now have you got it klinux :!:

But still Thanks for checking in !!!

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Unfortunately athlon mobile processors are not available in India. You can get them from abroad. The prices start at 80$ US. The Barton series might be difficult to procure as they have stopped production. Its available from 4000 onwards.

Dude. check your CPU speed and ur RAM speed using cpu-z (google it. Its freeware). RAM cannot be overclocked as you mention. You can change the CL timings for your RAM unless you have HyperX RAM modules which will enable the changes. 266 mhz sounds like its Hynix RAM. No way will that run at 333 mhz. Just setting it at the BIOS does not mean it is actually running at that speed. Cpu-Z will tell you if it is or not.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
SPD as in Serial Presence Detect ?? u have a 266 mhz ram right ! and running at 333mhz ? could u please tell me what speed is shown for ur ram in apps like sisoft sandra or everest home edition . u can even run a benchmark where u can compare it with other modules . kurious to know the speed of the ram

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
klinux:

The just becos he sets it to run at higher speeds doesnt mean he can run it at that speed. It mostly will not be. If the RAM itself doenst support it then how ?

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
icecoolz said:
klinux:
The just becos he sets it to run at higher speeds doesnt mean he can run it at that speed. It mostly will not be. If the RAM itself doenst support it then how ?

u asking me this question ??? i actually wanna know how his system is running stable after overclocking a 266 to 333 mhz , thats why i asked him to check out his previous post . i was wondering If it doesnt serve any purpose to overclock ram alone , other than heating the ram ;) , why would he want to do it . i just tried it on a friends pc who uses his config and ram , when i changed the dram settings to make it run at 333mhz it wouldnt boot . so i had to clear the cmos to set it up again .

@rachit : btw which brand of RAM are u using

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
No I wasnt asking you the question. It was supposed to be rhetorical !! The RAM cannot run at that speed unless its the RAM that I mentioned. If its a 266 MHZ then its most likely to be HYNIX. The fact that he set ti to 333 mhz and it booted up may have something to wit the RAM still running at 266 mhz since thats the max it can run at. Its like Multiplier in CPU in my case. It wouldnt go beyound 11.5 x no matter how high I set it to.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
ok oops , on my part :) . kurious abt ur rig now . ur OCing ur sys with water cooling stuff and all right and running a 1.9ghz @ 2.3ghz as in ur siggy . does the speed of the ram stay the same at 400mhz or is that increased too . another q is does the water cooling decrease the overall m/b temperature too , which can be checked with asus probe or everest . ?

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
actually I dont use water cooling. I got a SilentChill Copper Cooler solution for AMD K7. Its air based as you can see. And the temp is quite stable even during intensive gaming at aroun 50C. Well the speed of the RAM is pretty much the same. As per what CPU-Z says mine is running 197 mhz since its in dual channel this will be 394 mhz. So its pretty much running at 400 mhz.
My RAM CL timings are 3-2-2-6 (I think will verify this). If I go any lower the system wont even boot up. I have Kingston PC3200 2*256.

I am not comfortable with water cooling as of yet. So thats why I am using the SilentChill one. And the SilentChill one is also compatible with the AMD64 systems so;)

OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
Hey Everybody I think you are not understanding,
I dont know about what the speed of my RAM is mentioned in my OS or any other software (CPU-Z) but the only thing I know for shure is that I got better perfomance after doing this ( 3D marks 2001 SE scores from around 12500 to around 12800).

Well Yes it is 512 MB's Corsair HYNIX DDR RAM.

Well about the heating problems I think you havent read that I have a total of 6 FANS in my Cabinat.

Well as you all have mentioned that there is no way to OC my CPU as it is locked from the BIOS so isent there any software to do it????

And finally I dont think I have to clear any more doubts!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes and thank you for so many replys. :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom