Oscar Nominations Announced...TCCOBB leads with 13 nomination, SM got 10...

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Slumdog Millionaire were the big leaders at the announcement of this year's Academy Awards, receiving 13 and 10 nominations, respectively.

Both films are up for the Best Picture award, as well as director and screenplay honors, and will compete for the top honor against Milk, which received eight nominations, and Frost/Nixon and The Reader, both of which were nominated for five awards. The Reader, a holocaust drama starring Kate Winslet, was the surprise of the announcements, snagging a Best Picture nod (seemingly away from The Dark Knight) as well as director, adapted screenplay and Best Actress for Winslet. It had been widely speculated that Winslet would be submitted in the supporting actress category for The Reader and lead actress for Revolutionary Road (which only nabbed three nominations), as she was at the Golden Globes, where she won for both films. The other big surprise of the nominations was the absence of The Dark Knight from any major categories save an expected Best Supporting Actor nod for Heath Ledger (who died exactly one year ago), though the box office hit did get eight nominations in all, mostly in technical categories.

Brad Pitt received his second Oscar nomination for Benjamin Button, and will go up in the Best Actor category opposite Richard Jenkins (The Visitor), Frank Langella (Frost/Nixon), Sean Penn (Milk) and Golden Globe winner Mickey Rourke (The Wrestler). Winslet will compete opposite two actresses from independent films, Anne Hathaway (Rachel Getting Married) and Melissa Leo (Frozen River), and two previous winners, Angelina Jolie (Changeling) and Meryl Streep (Doubt), who received her 15th nomination. The supporting nominations were pretty much as expected, with the surprise of Michael Shannon up for Revolutionary Road; other supporting actor nominees include Ledger, Josh Brolin (Milk), Philip Seymour Hoffman (Doubt), and Robert Downey Jr. (Tropic Thunder). Doubt also received two supporting actress nominations for Amy Adams and Viola Davis; the other contenders are Penelope Cruz (Vicky Cristina Barcelona), Taraji P. Henson (Benjamin Button) and Marisa Tomei (The Wrestler). In what's usually a rare feat, all five Best Picture nominees had corresponding director nods. And the Best Animated Feature nominees were Bolt, Kung Fu Panda and WALL-E (which received six nominations overall, including original screenplay); expected animated nominee Waltz with Bashir was left out of that race, but the Israeli film did receive a nomination for Best Foreign Language film, as did The Baader Meinhof Complex (Germany), The Class (France), Departures (Japan) and Revanche (Austria).

See the entire list of nominees here. The Academy Awards will be handed out Sunday, February 22nd in Los Angeles at the Kodak Theater. Visit IMDb's Road to the Oscars for more awards coverage.

Source

Complete list of Nominations: Click Here

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
SM is supposed to be a good movie but rediff is giving contradicting reviews.

*www.rediff.com/movies/2009/jan/09review-slumdog-millionaire-raja.htm
*www.rediff.com/movies/2009/jan/09review-slumdog-millionaire-sumit.htm

I am also looking forward to seeing this, I think today it is released in India. Congratulations to the SM team, let's hope they win at least a couple of Oscars, and not be a disappointment at Kodak Theater like 'Lagaan'.

OP
eggman

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
^^It is a good movie, but not THAT good...atleast by bollywood std

oh BTW, Do not read RAJA SEN's review, they are crap (Tashan , U ME Hum in his Top 10 list and No Jodha Akbar........lol)

Last edited:

red_devil

Back!
^^ yeah what eggy said is right... SM is good.. atleast the first half is good but the second half made me feel that I was watching some bollywood chick flick...

btw, anyone watched Frost/Nixon and MILK and DOUBT ? i heard about these movies only yesterday while i was watching the nominations on TV...

OP
eggman

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
^^Frost Nixon is good....so Is milk...................Doubt is even Better than THe Reader, which I have no idea how was nominated for Best Picture considering it got very mixed review

swordfish

Somebody stop me...
benjamin button is good..
I was expecting revolutionary road somewhere.. :(
AR raheman deserves the award.. but not SM

joey_182

Jack Sparrow
Benjamin shd get atleast for direction nd actor and ya for best movie too :)...
SM for adapted screenplay and original score

but i was shocked not to see TDK in best movie cat.
but this award shd go to benjamin or MILK...amanzingly brialliant movies i ever came across.
both deserve this award equally in my concern.

cyborg47

Technomancer
i dont think SM should get the Oscar, TCCOBB?...mann it was a brilliant movie and brad pitt's acting was excellent...he really deserves on oscar. i actually hated SM, in a scene where the jamal guides the american couple, and gets caught, he says "this is real India"...What the ****???

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
i dont think SM should get the Oscar, TCCOBB?...mann it was a brilliant movie and brad pitt's acting was excellent...he really deserves on oscar. i actually hated SM, in a scene where the jamal guides the american couple, and gets caught, he says "this is real India"...What the ****???
I loled at this is real Amerika :D:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom