OS upgrade Help

abhisek1989

Broken In
Hello Friends, right now I am using windows 7 32bit OS and I want to upgrade it to windows 7 64 bit, I have 1 TB HDD in with there are 9 partition and in drive "C" the OS is installed, "D" I have installed some software and "E" some games and I now that there is no way to upgrade it without formatting, so I want to know how should I back up my data, Internet bookmark and tab pages, and there are lots more thing which is stored in my Drive "C" and should I have to format other 2 drive also in which I have installed software and games. Please suggest me the right and easy way:-?

To backup user data, copy the c>windows>users>your username folder. Yes you will have to format the partitio containing softwarer and games as they wont work without a reinstall

Vignesh B

Youngling
As harshil has already stated you can backup your data from the your username folder.
For all the browser related data like bookmarks, tabs etc, Firefox, chrome have the sync option. You can use it to sync your data to the cloud and it will be available wherever you go. ;)

OP
A

abhisek1989

Broken In
I am not able to upgrade my system, can anyone help me out, as I am trying to boot the system with OS DVD after the "windows is loading file" done staring windows screen appear the system getting restart and again I have to repeat the same process but windows is not getting install. can anyone tell what can be the problem.

OP
A

abhisek1989

Broken In
i have tried 2-3 different dvd, but same thing happening, and I have tried to install the OS in Vmare its getting installed there.... only not able replace my current OS.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
probably the setup is corrupt or dvd drive may be not working properly...
get a good running iso of windows (check the comments section of where it is availabe ;-) ) & install it via usb pen drive.

Are you using the "upgrade" option while installing or are you performing a clean installation?

Are you using the "upgrade" option while installing or are you performing a clean installation?

OP
A

abhisek1989

Broken In
after this option win 7 file loading.png as soon the starting windows screen come the system restart win 7 startup.png

OP
A

abhisek1989

Broken In
I have tried both the UEFI enable and disable mode in bios, but nothing happening. even i tried to reinstall the 32bit its also not happening.

There are two primary partitions there, not sure but they could be the issue. BTW you can use a WinXP installation disk first to format the partition containing win 7, then install win 7 on it.

ok, will it let me install win 7 after installing the win xp, as currently i am not able to install the OS
I'm not asking you ton install WIn XP first. i'm asking to use the Win XP installation disk just to format the partition containing Win 7. Then after the partition has been formated, install win 7 on it.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
problem is not with 2 primary partitions(a hdd can have 4 primary partitions) but the system letter Z assigned to windows 7 100mb system reserved partition.right click this partition & select change drive letter & path option to remove the letter Z assigned to this partition.

OP
A

abhisek1989

Broken In
i have formatted the parttion with the win xp cd but now also same problem coming. Now i have to use my cell phone to post and view this. Plz help me

Top Bottom