Which OS Should I take for this configuration

AMD Sempron Processor LE 1250
1 GB RAM
512 MB Geforce 7200
160 GB Hard disk
Asus M2N68AM Motherboard

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
Get a dual-boot system with Linux (Ubuntu or OpenSUSE) and Windows XP. Or just Windows/Linux. Your call.

I'd recommend Windows XP and Linux dual boot.

Install Ubuntu Linux if you want it simple or if you wanna get it real fast then get geeky and install Arch Linux.

I'd highly recommend you Windows XP and Ubuntu dual boot though.

yippee

lost in my world
Suse is heavily bloated. It'll kill the rig mentioned above. Fedora is too geeky for newbies to Linux.
like i said before in other threads my first linux experience was on fedora and i still use fedora and i don't believe that any one have to be a geek to use linux most of the commands are available online if you do some google search and repos take care of installing all the needed apps so i dont find a reason why people mention it all the time that os like fedora is hard for newbies....:?:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Which OS Should I take for this configuration

AMD Sempron Processor LE 1250
1 GB RAM
512 MB Geforce 7200
160 GB Hard disk
Asus M2N68AM Motherboard

This like asking what kind of dress will I wear today. Its not what you will wear that's important, but rather what you are wearing it for. Whats your purpose? To just browse any OS will do go get some light ones. Anything upto Win XP or any non bloated Distro should be fine. IN my opinion if you have no reason to install Linux just install Windows XP unless you prefer some interaction with a new OS.

By the way Fedora really isn't made for geeks. I recently tried it on a machine and had fun with it. Im not sure what the latest Ubuntu requirements but I think this system should be more than enough. Actually I think it would be more than enough for any distrop to be frank.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Will Linux do
I got to work heavily on Word, Excel, Access
Visual Basic, and Photoshop
You could easily use Openoffice.org for your office needs unless you relyon using Advanced Macros or Formulae etc.. However VB is going to be a problem . You could refer to Mono though.

Also some gaming for tp
Refer to Cedega , Wine etc. However I would suggest installing XP unless you need or prefer to learn how to use Linux.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@prateek, for your needs, I think XP is the best bet

1) Install XP
2) Download a 30day trial of vmware
3) install linux on vmware
4) Try openoffice and try to install Visual studio using wine. (not that easy though)
5) if everything works out well on linux, make it a dual boot xp+linux.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
4) Try openoffice and try to install Visual studio using wine. (not that easy though)
VS 2002 - 2008 doesn't work with Wine as shown here . Which is why i said you might have to try Mono. Either way if you really don't care about using Linux just use XP and it should fit you needs more than enough. I haven't tried Linux on VmWare on XP before and that with 1 GB of Memory so no sure if it would be more sluggish than usual.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
Just use XP. Try Linux once you have all your programs up and running under XP, so that you can fall back on it in case you realize that Linux does not suit your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom