OS problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

krisjr

In the zone
hi,
well my fren has just loaded XP.he had 98SE before.its ter in his c drive and xp is in d drive.now what happens is, 98SE doesnt detect cd rom..but in XP,all works fine...what cud be the problem..also tel me if he wanna keep only XP as a single os,how shud he go about deleting win98 all together...

Plz hurry mates,he is in realy hurry...
tx in advance..

krishnathelord

In the zone
as of deleting the 98 installatin set the xp installation default and timer at 0 that would lead to no os choice choice while booting

theraven

Technomancer
format partition containin win 98
or the folder of win 98 if its on the same drive as xp
then edit boot.ini in ur c:\
and remove the line for win 98
simple ;)

[edit]
oops my bad
if its on a diff partition .. do not format c:\
u need the system and boot files from there :D

OP
K

krisjr

In the zone
hey its confusing man..plz be clear..if i format c drive,i will lose my boot files rt.so i do i do it...

@krishna:i dont want to keep 98 altogether..i will hav to make those changes in BIOS rt

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
krisjr said:
hey its confusing man..plz be clear..if i format c drive,i will lose my boot files rt.so i do i do it...

@krishna:i dont want to keep 98 altogether..i will hav to make those changes in BIOS rt

Yes you may loose the system files. Instead format the D: drive and reinstall XP as new OS over 98.

Better still format both C and D drives and install XP as fresh OS using 98 startup floppy disk.

geek_rohit

In the zone
Since you don't want Win98 then just install XP. If you don't have any imp data on your system then format both the C & D partitions and then have a clean install of WinXP. If there is some imp data then put all that in D drive and then format the C drive and then install WinXP. And for cleaning the D drive delete all the directories and files apart from your data. Also since you would have formatted the C drive you won't see an option for OS selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom