os in linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikunj

Broken In
i want to install linux , but i dont know which is the os in the linux i have heard about red hat , ubuntu, fedora core, gnome, etc but i dont know which is os and which is better. pls help me and from which site i can get it.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
It is not called os it is called as distro, short for distribution. Anyways that confusion will be solved on it's own as you go on using linux.
Well all the major ones are good for newbies. You can go for any recent distro like Fedora Core 6, Ubuntu 6.06 or 6.10, OpenSuse 10.2, Mandriva 2007. There are a few others too which you can use but the ones I mentioned above have bigger community so you can get more help and documentation on them.
It's your choice for which one you want to choose.

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
@Nikunj, for a beginner SUSE is the best.
It is the most easy to install, easy to work upon and easy to Learn Distro.
You sud go for it.

mehulved

@satyamy if you want to learn linux for time pass, start with knoppix live cd or DVD, if you can get it. You need not install it on your computer. So, it will not harm your computer at all and it will give you a really good experience with linux.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
I agree with tech_your_future, go for knoppix first and if you like it and want to continue, install one. I am currently using knoppix 5, installed on my pc through the CD. It's good, now I am planning to upgrade to OpenSuSE10.2. It looks good.

Aditya

satyamy

Alive Again...
tech_your_future said:
@satyamy if you want to learn linux for time pass, start with knoppix live cd or DVD, if you can get it. You need not install it on your computer. So, it will not harm your computer at all and it will give you a really good experience with linux.
ok
thanks
if i could get the cd i'll surely do this
by the way which version for 1st time.........?

mehulved

The latest version is 5.0.1. I had a couple of DVD's of it, but it seems all have gone bad. Maybe tuxfan still has one with him and might offer you.
Here's a mirror from which you can download knoppix *www.artfiles.org/knoppix/
And this is the link to the home page of knoppix *www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom