Orkut not working with ZAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

reachrishikh

Broken In
My Orkut seems to be working only in read-only more of late. I cannot post scraps, send messages, post anything in message boards, accept or send friend requests, change my settings or do pretty much anything in Orkut that requires clicking, other than opening links. I can only view everything in read-only mode.

A few other people also told me that they were facing this problem, so till recently, I thought it was some fault on the Orkut server side.
But a few days ago I figured out that the conflicting application seems to be my firewall - Zone Alarm Pro, and I think I also started facing this problem since around the same time I started using ZAP a month ago. I have tested it and my theory seems to be correct. I can instantly start 'writing' to Orkut the moment I switch off the firewall.

Anyone else facing this same problem? Or atleast heard of it before?
And are there any solutions to it?
I think that maybe I could set a specific firewall rule for the Orkut IP address set to allow all traffic on that IP, but I tried doing a reverse IP lookup on Orkut, and couldn't find anything. I think Orkut the website uses one (or more) of Google's registered IP addresses, since a reverse IP lookup for Google throws 4 different large IP ranges.

Anybody knows a way out of this?

Last edited:
OP
R

reachrishikh

Broken In
Earlier I couldn't. Now I can. Thanks.

Although, I don't use the Identity Protection feature, so I don't think that will help. I've got it turned off.
Thanks for pointing that feature out though. I'll try adding Orkut to the 'Site List' tab of the 'Privacy' button.
I'll just fiddle around with granting Orkut permissions in both these places though, and see what works. And I think I don't even need the IP to give Orkut special firewall rules. I can directly enter the URL as well, ZAP has that feature.

*edit*
Nope, ZAP doesn't seem to accept 'orkut.co.in', it does accept 'orkut.com' though. But with the recent changes Orkut doled out means that people logging into it from India are redirected to the .co.in domain.

Last edited:
OP
R

reachrishikh

Broken In
Allright, I have managed to add all orkut domains (orkut.com, and orkut.co.in) to all the lists in ZAP to permit, but I still face the same problem. I have to shut down the firewall each time I want to use Orkut, and then restart it when I'm done. This is getting to be quite a drag.

Also, it seems the firewall itself is problematic. It makes my system hang often these days, an affliction that has never affected me in the past, even when I used to use bloatware like NIS.
Also, it seems with either Nod32 or ZAP or both running on my system, I can't switch users any more, because the minute a second user logs in, the system hangs.

Anyone know about this or what to do with this? Or should I ditch ZAP and switch to a better firewall?

Krazy Bluez

Banned to Spam
^^ why don't you use comodo ??? I am using it for past 6 months and it works like a charm for me, find it at here

OP
R

reachrishikh

Broken In
Nope, I wanted to try out Jetico, because I've heard Jetico and ZAP perform better in the Firewall leak test over all other firewalls.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17544

But it seems that Jetico is even more harmful than ZAP, since ZAP atleast only ever made my computer lag and hang a little, while switching users, but Jetico gives me an outright BSOD as soon as we try to switch users.

Krazy Bluez, does your Commodo pass the leaktest completely?

*start of second post, made more than a day later, automerged by forum bot*
So I guess this thread should solve all my ZAP problems as well.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92668

I wonder why no one mentioned it to me above. This is indeed one of the most unknowledgeble and unhelpful boards I've ever been to!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom