Opera is gonna re-invent the web today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indyan

Here Since 2003
"...we have the right to refuse to post, edit, or deliver submitted User Generated Content. We reserve the right to remove User Generated Content for any reason, but we are not responsible for any failure or delay in removing such material. We reserve the right to block any user's access to any content, web site or web page in our sole discretion. Opera Software ASA reserves the right to terminate your account if you use your account privileges to unlawfully transmit copyrighted material without a license, valid defense or fair use privilege to do so...Opera Software ASA may at it's discretion, block certain web sites or domains and re-route you to other pages. By accepting these Terms of Use, You hereby consent to this."

That file sharing function? Don't point it at your MP3 collection. Furthermore, how un-Democratic is that? Unite is supposed to free you from the cloud, but Opera gets to hold their finger over the red button?

You go this quote from DownloadSquad's crappy post. Didn't you?
I replied there and will also reply here.

Its meant only for blocking illegal file sharing. Opera doesn't want Unite to become sorta P2P to share copyrighted material.
They don't monitor what you upload, unless the receive a report. In that case they will go ahead and check out your content. If its illegal they will give you a warning. If you are caught the 2nd time you would be banned.
Obviously Opera needs to have a provision like this to prevent illegal use. So share your MP3's, but don't broadcast it to the world. Don't go ahead and post on a warez forum your Opera Unite link. Also note the but we are not responsible for any failure or delay in removing such material clause. That does tell you that Opera isn't actually very interested in censoring content. They just want to play it safe, just in case someone starts misusing this service and they receive a complaint from say MPAA.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
LOL. Reinvent the web?? Very Funny. Everyone says this these days. MS, Apple, Mozilla and now Opera.
okay, I actually thought of trying Opera Unite first before replying to you. Now I finally got time to try it and it is really a new way of sharing things from your computer.

Opera Unite is an easy & hassle-free way for people like me, who actually run a LAMP/WAMP server to share files etc. with other people during IRC conversation or with friends.

Go here: www.operaunite.com & *dev.opera.com/articles/view/opera-unite-developer-primer/ for more information.

Liverpool_fan said:
<LFC_fan> Inspite of these many features Opera never feels slow and bloated... AMAZING
:)

opera unite services:

Media Player: Access your complete home music library from wherever you are
File Transfer: A simple and safe way to share files directly from your computer
Fridge: A fun place for people to leave notes on your computer.
web server: Host your Web sites running from your own computer
Photo Sharing: Share your personal photos with friends around the world without the need to upload them.
The Lounge: Invite your friends to a chat in The Lounge hosted on your computer.

Dear Opera: Ever heard of Browser Extentions (Firefox)????
Can any extension in Firefox help you share files from your home PC? just like a Webserver?? Imagine, you are in your office and you want to get a file from your PC. Using Opera unite, you can easily transfer it to your workstation in your office from the PC in your home. Security is also taken care of with the use of a password. :)

What I'm discussing about is a feature which I found useful. Infact there are many more which you have yourself mentioned. :)

Last edited:

Ecko

Wandering In Tecno Land
Opera always come up with innovative features ......!!!
Its has no match in Innovation ;)

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
EDIT: My bad Heckt these links should be underlined. :???:

@desiibond:
Er. Actually you have to enable each of the service before using it. And if Opera does not feel bloaty inspite of the features why should they make its features as seperate extensions. :|

@ico:
;)

Last edited:

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
I think many companies say Re-Discover.
Re-invent ? ROFL, its funny. WEB will be WEB. I don't see any fundamental changes in the way web works by Opera !
Do they even have a research department ? To bring out real break through in technology /

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ Opera Unite might be of no use for you, but for me it is of great use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom