OpenSolaris 2008.05 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
*www.imgx.org/pfiles/7479/opensolaris_logo_trans.png​

From dorm room to boardroom. OpenSolaris has everything you need to take your brilliant idea, build a prototype, test it, deploy it, and run it on production servers -- out of a loft, or across your enterprise. And when your application goes viral, you won't have to throw hardware at the problem, or switch to a different OS. OpenSolaris is industrial strength and built to scale from the get go. The live CD makes it simple to boot to a fully functional desktop environment, including Firefox and Thunderbird. Try it without fear -- our instant rollback feature works like a giant undo button, so your system is always protected, and you'll never lose work. And, you can load OpenSolaris 2008.05 easily in a variety of virtualization technologies including the open source VirtualBox hypervisor.

OpenSolaris 2008.5, the new distribution based on the OpenSolaris operating system, has been released into the wild. This release follows the conventions set by many of the popular Linux distributions, such as being based on a single live CD with installer, but also adds a load of OpenSolaris-specific features such as ZFS, DTrace, Containers, and a new package management system, IPS. OpenSolaris 2008.5 is the fruit of Project Indiana.

*www.imgx.org/pthumbs/large/7480/Screenshot.png​

When Sun started the process of open sourcing Solaris 10 about three years ago, it sufficed to have a website dedicated to programmers. OpenSolaris.org was the place where OpenSolaris was being built, and for a while, according to Dan Roberts, director of product management for Solaris and OpenSolaris at Sun, this worked out just fine. However, later on, people expected something else on OpenSolaris.org: a distribution. "They were looking for something that they could understand, that they could deploy, that they could use."

*www.imgx.org/pthumbs/small/7481/Screenshot-1.png *www.imgx.org/pthumbs/small/7482/Screenshot-2.png *www.imgx.org/pthumbs/small/7483/Screenshot-3.png

Home Page : OpenSolaris
Download : OpenSolaris
Order Free Cd : *www2.sun.de/dct/forms/reg_us_2307_228_0.jsp
Discover Solaris : OpenSolaris

unni

In the zone
I haven't used any Solaris or FreeBSD distros. This looks neat. I must download. :)

ThinkFree

Technomancer
I had tried to install the earlier version but couldn't install it . Got some error message. Hope I would be able to install it. Thanks for the information

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I still prefer Solaris 10 over opensolaris. Isn't opensolaris a stripped down version of solaris OS?

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Yeah, Open Solaris is a stripped down version of Solaris. I have used Solaris in my
office. If you want to learn to learn UNIX. You must get started with Solaris or Open Solaris.
Checkout the Features of Solaris OS : *www.sun.com/software/solaris/features.jsp

One feature I liked so much in Solaris is dTrace, To know more about 'dTrace'
checkout this link : *www.sun.com/2004-0518/feature/

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
One huge advantage with solaris is it's stability. I see lots of servers in my office that have uptime of 1yr+. There are also couple of build servers, on which 300-400 gcc's and make's will be running 24/7 for years and still they never crash.

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
It has some cool features, like reverting to an earlier state after some type misconfiguration or corruption. The snapshot feature of ZFS makes it almost instant. It has no office packages installed by default. Also there is some kind on Auto-Magic feature for network configuration. Package management is also easier and fully GUI based. Exploring for more features...

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I am downloading it. Thinking of shrinking my linux partition to accomodate it. Two things that allure me to OpenSolaris are dTrace and ZFS. I want to see what they are all about.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Yeah, Open Solaris is a stripped down version of Solaris.
I think it's a cutting-edge version of solaris , with latest features for the community to test out which can then be integrated into the Enterprise Version(Solaris 11 or 10.x) .

Works much like Fedora does for Redhat or OpenSuse works for Novell .

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Oh I think I found something to get my hands dirty until Fedora 9 is released. Never tried this before, downloading.

unni

In the zone
Offtopic:
Will there be Fedora 9? I read some time earlier that RedHat is going to stay away from desktop market!

Pat

Beyond Smart
'OpenSolaris Arrives Just to Die?'

Practical Technology believes that "OpenSolaris has finally been released just in time to die".

praka123

left this forum longback
bad luck for open solaris(I liked this OS).for,their community OSS experiment flopped.it failed to attract more devels. :|

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
But Solaris surely have some advanced features which, I think, can be useful for Linux community (their licensing method might be a problem here).

praka123

left this forum longback
yeah.esp dtrace,proc tools.

Tried Opensolaris cd(live session),it takes ages to finish booting Gnome :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom