Open Suse Some Problem Yaar

Status
Not open for further replies.

100.dx

NBC(Next Bill Candinate)
Hey I Install Open Suse Distributed By Digit This Month
When I Change My Wallpaper It Gives A White Wallpaper On My Desktop Whats The Problem
And I Wana Increase Boot Time Only 5 Seconds Suse Automatically Started I Wana Increase Time When I Computer Started I Dont Get Much To Choose Windows Aur Linux Plz Tell
And How Can Ii Configure My Modem In Open Suse

bharat_r

In the zone
The answer for ur 2nd & 3rd question is YaST.
YaSt is the control center of Suse(like control panel of Windows).

Go to YaST->System->Boot Loader
Go to the Boot Loader Installation tab.Click on Boot Loader Options.Change the timeout to the desired value.
(See screenshots)

*img452.imageshack.us/img452/57/snapshot1yy5.th.jpg

Or you can also make Windows as ur default OS.Just select windows,move it up & click on Set as Default.

*img452.imageshack.us/img452/2950/snapshot2py6.th.jpg

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
On searching Net connection on Open Suse I found so may thread, but I am unable to solve my problem. Hence I decided to write in this thread instead of creating new thread.

I have installed Open Suse 10.3 from this month Digit DVD, just for leaning and take test of New OS. Now my most prefered thing is Net Connection, which I am unable to configure.

I have a BSNL BB conection through DSL Modem (LAN). Modem Model : Utstarcom(UT300R2U). Now what is the step by step procedure to configure the DSL connection. I tried my best to configure the DSL, but all are in vain.
After configuring it shows a icon at the status bar which indicated that "net connection is wired through eth0), but the icon is not glowing also not open any web sites.
Thanks is advance.

{{EXPERIMENT MAKES A PERSON EXPERT)
Dont know who says that.

praka123

left this forum longback
need to use "yast" manager to configure pppoe connxn.then use kinternet shortcut for dialer.pls move this thread to opensource section.the solution is somewhere in oss section given by @nucleuscore.

MOD please move to OSS section.

100.dx said:
When I Change My Wallpaper It Gives A White Wallpaper On My Desktop Whats The Problem
And I Wana Increase Boot Time Only 5 Seconds Suse Automatically Started I Wana Increase Time When I Computer Started I Dont Get Much To Choose Windows Aur Linux Plz Tell
you need to edit lilo/grub conffiles to increase waiting to boot seconds.
internal modems may not work in Linux as they are made for windows or "winmodems".
reg white screen,whats ya configuration.are ur graphics driver detected and installed.that all matters.

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
skghosh44 said:
I think u dont know the answer. If u know the answer please provide the thread link here.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72409

Just remember to set your lan card to DHCP, and tick the enable device control for non root user via KInternet

100.dx said:

To configure your boot manager
1. Open yast
2. System->boot loader
3. Select your default os and click set as default
4. Click on boot loader installation tab, and in that click on boot loader options, the last entry there is the countdown in seconds

Make you changes, click ok, finish

If you want me to attempt to fix your problem with your wallpaper you will have to type in English. I cannot follow what your problem exactly is. Its very irritating to decipher bad posts, as if I have nothing better to do in my life. Its not fashionable to type with spelling mistakes.

Last edited:

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
NucleusKore said:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72409
@ NucleusKore

I think you have not got my point. I have asked for "How to access windows OS DRIVE/FOLDER/FILES ETC" in Linus Open SUSE 1.03. What we can access automatically in Ubuntu/Kubuntu OS.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
skghosh44 said:
I think you have not got my point. I have asked for "How to access windows OS DRIVE/FOLDER/FILES ETC" in Linus Open SUSE 1.03. What we can access automatically in Ubuntu/Kubuntu OS.

Now I get your point, it would have really helped if you did not club your query in this thread. SuSe mounts all partitions at install, however, if you went for manual partitioning, then it would not have done anything automatically. Anyway, you will have to mount the windows partitions. The base filesystem is root or /, on which everything is mounted. Your home directory for example is mounted on root so that its location would read as /home. So you will have to specify a mount point, say /windows and mount your windows partitions there

1. Open Yast

2. Click Partitioner

*img149.imageshack.us/img149/5714/01ad5.th.jpg

3. You will get a warning, read it and click yes

*img229.imageshack.us/img229/8624/02bs3.th.jpg

4. Now you will see the fstab entries in partitioner. I have enclosed mine as an example. You will have to know which are your windows partitions, they will be ntfs or vfat.

*img149.imageshack.us/img149/6186/03gr5.th.jpg

5. Select the partition and click edit

*img229.imageshack.us/img229/6238/04qe9.th.jpg

6. This is what you'll see. The mount point has to be specified in the lower right hand corner

*img66.imageshack.us/img66/5613/05qt8.th.jpg

7. Click fstab options to configure further. As I have installed the ntfs-3g driver, mount as read only has not been ticked. Mountable by user has been ticked so that you do not have to become root and mount it every time you want to work on the drive.

*img229.imageshack.us/img229/1004/06yg0.th.jpg

8. After setting everything click ok, apply, finish

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
@NucleusKore

Nice presentation, thnaks.

As per your guidelines while I was trying to do the same, I was unable to do the same, because the "fstab" is disable by default.
What is the wrong, I cant understand, I seek your help.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
That's funny. Do one thing. Press Alt+F2, type konsole and press enter. Type the following

cat /etc/fstab

and press enter. You will have to now provide me the output, there are two ways of doing it.

1. Select all text with your mouse, click Edit->Copy, and paste the output here

OR

2. Now in konsole, click Session->print screen-> and from that drop down list select pdf and click print

You will find the output in a file named print.pdf in your home folder. Copy paste those contents here.

Here is an example of mine:
Code:
neville@linux-nucleuskore:~> cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>

proc    /proc   proc    defaults        0       0
sysfs   /sys    sysfs   noauto  0       0
usbfs   /proc/bus/usb   usbfs   noauto  0       0
devpts  /dev/pts        devpts  mode=0620,gid=5 0       0
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD1600AABS-_WD-WMAP93914663-part8 /       ext3    acl,user_xattr  1       1
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD1600AABS-_WD-WMAP93914663-part7 /ubuntu ext3    defaults        1       2
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD1600AABS-_WD-WMAP93914663-part1 /windows/C      ntfs-3g defaults,user,users,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0       0
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD1600AABS-_WD-WMAP93914663-part5 /windows/D      ntfs-3g defaults,user,users,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0       0
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD1600AABS-_WD-WMAP93914663-part9 /windows/E      ntfs-3g defaults,user,users,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0       0
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD1600AABS-_WD-WMAP93914663-part6 swap    swap    defaults        0       0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug       debugfs noauto  0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy   auto    noauto,user,sync        0       0

neville@linux-nucleuskore:~>

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
Please note I have during installation I have selected the GNOME desktop.

Here is the output of cat/etc/fstab

skg@skg:~> cat /etc/fstab
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST380215A_9QZ1RTM3-part11 / ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 1
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST380215A_9QZ1RTM3-part9 swap swap defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs noauto 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto noauto,user,sync 0 0

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Could you give me a screen shot of partitioner as in my third picture in the above post so that I can see all the partitions. As part 9 is swap and 11 is root, and you do not have a separate home partition, there should be another 5 or 6 partitions to mount.

If you find that difficult do the following:
1.Open Konsole or Xterm
2.Type su, press enter and become root
3.Give the following command at prompt

fdisk /dev/sda

and press enter.

*img444.imageshack.us/img444/7813/snapshot2tc2.th.png

4.Then type p (to print the partition table) and press enter

*img89.imageshack.us/img89/696/snapshot3xo8.th.png

5.Then type q (to quit without saving changes)

6.Post the output here

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
As desired here is the screenshot

*www.imagehosting.com/out.php/t1365592_Screenshot.png

*www.imagehosting.com/out.php/t1365591_Screenshot1.png

NucleusKore

TheSaint
1. Make two new mount points in root. Open a shell, become superuser by su
2. cd /
3. For example,
mkdir windows
mkdir other

4.You will have to add the following lines to your /etc/fstab file.

/dev/sda1 /windows/C vfat defaults,user,users,umask=0002 0 0
/dev/sda5 /windows/D vfat defaults,user,users,umask=0002 0 0
/dev/sda6 /windows/E vfat defaults,user,users,umask=0002 0 0
/dev/sda7 /windows/F vfat defaults,user,users,umask=0002 0 0
/dev/sda8 /windows/G vfat defaults,user,users,umask=0002 0 0

And an optional
/dev/sda10 /other ext3 defaults 1 2

For that, better rename your old fstab file to something like old_fstab and note down the name somewhere, don't delete the file.
Copy paste its contents to an empty text file and add the above lines, and save it as fstab in etc folder. Note that unlike windows, no file extension is required here.
Reboot and check if you can see everything in your filesystem.

Post edited, see again

Last edited:

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
As per your direction I have done everything but all are in vain. Still I am not able to access the drive/folder/ file etc.
I have make 2 dir viz. Windows and Other which are shown at Filesystems/windows, but the folder is empty.
Here is the screen shot of the edited file /etc/fstab
*www.imagehosting.com/out.php/t1365858_Screenshot2.png

praka123

left this forum longback
Code:
/dev/sda1 /windows/C vfat defaults 0 0
^^^
@skghosh44:Sir,do as above for all windows partitions.make sure of the words being small or capital accdngly as its needed in linux.it will work though the permissions are for root to write.also make sure u have made those directories.as root in a terminal:
Code:
cd /
then
Code:
mkdir windows;cd windows
then
Code:
mkdir C D E F G
now,
Code:
mount -a
^^^check for any error messages,note that down if any and post here.
after mount -a ,open nautilus file manager and browse to /windows dir to see whether it is mounted or not.
edit for "other" dir,
Code:
 mkdir /other

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom