Open Source : Share & Flourish

Status
Not open for further replies.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use Linux as my primary OS ahead of Windows.

Windows is only there for a little bit of gaming and performing firmware upgrades to my mobile or taking back-up. :)

Edit:
Many of my friends have also started using Linux when they saw me using. They may not be using it as their primary OS, but they do realize the advantages offered by Linux.
eg. my friend had an ancient old scanner and he was not able to find it's driver. I installed Ubuntu in his computer, and the scanner worked perfectly fine with XSane.

Last edited:

prateekajfa

Right off the assembly line
Your ideas on open source are highly appreciable and I myself have tried it , but to be honest for the fun of it and the knowledge every experience and by far the most the satisfaction(for having been able to do it) of installing linux as a standalone,multiboot,live or through vmware brought along with it.
But now that u are talking about ditching windows and using just linux,I have a question for you.
I enjoy playing games like Crysis,CoD4 etc on my system,use nero and use software like guitar pro and Norton 360 on my windows....keeping all this in mind will it be prudent on my part to switch to linux for reasons far extended beyond fun and be in the pragmatic horizon of mine.
RSVP
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
Your ideas on open source are highly appreciable and I myself have tried it , but to be honest for the fun of it and the knowledge every experience and by far the most the satisfaction(for having been able to do it) of installing linux as a standalone,multiboot,live or through vmware brought along with it.
But now that u are talking about ditching windows and using just linux,I have a question for you.
I enjoy playing games like Crysis,CoD4 etc on my system,use nero and use software like guitar pro and Norton 360 on my windows....keeping all this in mind will it be prudent on my part to switch to linux for reasons far extended beyond fun and be in the pragmatic horizon of mine.
RSVP[/"...what dont kills you make you more strong"QUOTE]

Last edited:
OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
^Offcourse you shouldn't switch to Linux if you need some softwares/games which run better on native windows.
Earlier I use to game but not now, so it doesn't matter if I use Linux.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
For me, the aspect of using linux/unix and windows is entirely different.

I am like a split personality for these.

Work:

I am clearcase admin. I just hate windows at work. I curse it every hour. I curse it when a user says that he/she is having issue with clearcase and using windows. 99% of the time, I use the classic command line interface and linux GUI.

But I have to use windows because there are many apps that work only on windows.

Home:

I am a gamer and watch TV everyday using tv tuner card. I tried lot of times to make atleast the TV tuner to work. Even bought a new tv tuner but I was left cursing linux fo notbeing able to provide the one application that can drive TV tuner card that has as standard philips chip on it. Forget about gaming. This meant that I could not use linux at home.

maybe, in the future, when I stop gaming and when I buy a separate TV, I may give Linux a second try at home.

But for now and next few years, it's windows at home and linux/solaris at work.

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Same with me desiibond. Currently my home PC has been dead so for timebeing on sister's laptop which runs on Windows Vista. My home PC had Fedora & Ubuntu in dual boot which I enjoyed using in tandem.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Good Post, The nutshell is User should be given power of choice rather than blindly enforcing an OS on him/her. but its not often the case; like here in India; windows is literally forced on all laptop buyers. you just can't buy a decent laptop without windows.

I am not saying that every laptop should be bundled with Linux instead; but atleast user should be given a Alternative.

A Power of choice! a chance to choose

But no, it does not happen due to Monoply of M$

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
^^ Yes, 100 % true, user should be given the choice whether to install Linux or Windows. He/she can also dual boot, like me. If I want to surf, I use Linux and if GAME, then Windows.

Hey, anybody noticed this. I think my internet works fast in Ubuntu as compared to Windows XP. Somebody here noticed this ? Or is it just me ?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
now that I have to do a project on LAMP, I will be extensively using linux at home too.

currently downloading RHEL 5.

What do you guys say? is this the best distro for LAMP (full fledged forum using phpbb)

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@saqib_khan - It's not just for you but I too can experience the fast internet speeds under Linux. I think it is due to freedom from those updaters which run automatically under windows.

@desiibond - No idea. But RHEL 5 should do fine. I have heard CENT OS to be good to be set up as a server. Maybe you can try that. Both are based on RPM.

Rahim

Married!
^The developers work around a kernel and add and modify/tweak/delete application arounf it. That is why we find so many flavors of GNU/Linux. But all of them use a kernel.

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
While old members have gone into oblivion or banned ;) new members continue to register. So its important that regulars at this section continue to create new interesting threads on open source/Linux. I am also thinking about starting few intresting threads so that we have a few new converts and this section lives on.

BTW I have stopped dual booting almost a year back and never looked back. Never felt the need! Ubuntu FTW!

foss_12345

Hello Linux lovers out thr !!!

I m new on this Digit forum. My Linux story was quite interesting. Let me share that.

I had my final year engineering exam paper after 3 days. I went to college library to study as that day thr was some function in my home. I never used my collge library that too often. wen I was studying, I saw Linux For You magazine there. Until that point I just knew about Linux that it is a kind of Unix system just like Solaris. When I read it I astonished to see many users thanking LFY magazine for giving Ubuntu in their last issue. It was quite interesting experience.
That night I surfed web only for Linux. and OMG !! Its an entirely new world out thr. I came to know these terms for first time - distro, GNU, GNOME, KDE, ...etc.
Next day I brought LFY mag having Mandriva 2008! And I started loving Linux thereafter - forever!!!

By the way I didn't fail in that paper :mrgreen: LOL

pls share ur Linux story also. It wd be interesting to read.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Welcome to the Open Source World. May the Force be with You.
pls share ur Linux story also. It wd be interesting to read.
My story is pretty much still on this forum . Its been quite a while though but my conversion to using a Linux system should be in this section :)

Krow

Crowman
Nice story. Mine is that, I was told about Ubuntu by my friend, non forum member. I tried it and slowly I reached here. Now I log in to Windows rarely, for games or for Photoshop, etc. All this in the past 3 months. Now I am a Mint user, soon-to-be distrohopper.

foss_12345

in these 2 yrs small Linux journey, I used OpenSUSE 10.2 for few weeks; otherwise I hv used Mandriva 2008 and Fedora 9 for a considerable long time - dual booted with 'that' OS.
I m planning to buy laptop in few days. just a silly questn. Will Installing / uninstalling mulitple distros affect the laptop? On my desktop sometimes I installed 3-4 distros in a single day; I never cared ;). But with laptop I guess I can't do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom