Open Source : Share & Flourish

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaithy

In the zone
Well . if I am telling my FOSS story it may taken several pages so I'll wrote in instalments ..
Part 1
In 1992 I saw the first computer in my office..my job require enter data in the Lotus 123, sort ,prepare form report.. so only thing i know was DOS , Lotus 123 and wordstar.. Later we convert this to win95,98 and 2000 so I never felt need a PC for personal use because at that time software as well as hardware cost on the higher side (thanks to wintel combine) on 2003 I bought my first PC(with my savings in GPF) installed with XP.. within six months, I got the first taste of 'being win user'--a virus infected system, with the hard disk gone to'buzzzzz'..
luckily as the system come with warranty I got a replacement disk...but I have lost important files stored there.. that was the first time I seriously thought about some escaping route from this monster'win'..I have to read a news article about 'Linux' where a local guy wrote 'virus free' OS.. immediately I contacted him in his office(he was running a Linux trining centre in the centre of city).. from him I got fedora-2 cds(total 4 cds)..I told him.' see I am not a tech guy! just a accountant.. don't know any thing about what is computer or OS.. can you help me.. with smile, he told me.' first try install it with this. he gave me a tutorial published in a magazine.. armed with such weapon that night I stalked my computer..
though installation was gone for 3 hours in the mid night when it was finally finished at 98% power cut destroyed that pleasure.. My wife who was holding the candle light asked me to sleep as it is midnight 1 A.m.. but the power return immediately.. like a possessed man, I again restarted the whole process..finally i got every thing right..at 4.30 a.m in the morning when fedora rebooted and asked me to enter first run configuration settings, I simply laughed as a madman, which again awakened my wife who continuously told my children ," yesterday when the power cut happened, some demons come through the computer..so we are going to satisfy the GODs in the temple..
Prt-1ended
to be cont...

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@vaithy - Hats off to your determination inspite of venturing in to an unknown territory.

vaithy

In the zone
Thanks Rahim..Oh..I forget to mention that the inspiration to learn linux was not actually from the Linux guy, but from my own PC guy..( the guy who was assigned by his company to remove the virus, repair the system during the warranty period!) He was a very nice young man who done the MCSE and CCNA but ended in as 'windows mechanic' in a no so big company..When he was installing new hardisk, I casually ask him,'Can you install me Linux along with XP.."
He was obviously shocked,' who told you about linux?'. I refer the magazine article.
"Sir, Please, don't force me to do this.. whatever you ask me I am willing to install any softwares but not Linux..(the list he given was endless.. photoshop,macromedia Flash,Norton Anti virus etc., etc., )
I was amazed.. 'why are you so oppose it.. afterall Linux is virus free.. that is what I was told..It reduce your workload...
Oh.. exactly that is the point...If every body install Linux.. what happened to us.. we'll be jobless.. we only know ..how to remove virus, fix the broken windows system..another thing is if you install Linux , our company policy will void your warranty..
So i was catch by that situtation extremely intrigued about installing Linux, but determined to wait for the warranty period over..
So that was the story folks..Had the hardware guy install Linux without any adeo I may have lost interest in it..But I was luckey...

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
@a rahim
I've checked out all the articles you've posted, though I didnt have the time to post my comments on them :|

@OP
I previously had a Ubuntu +XP dual boot (for like 8 months) till I had to format the Ubuntu partition to get more space on my almost full HDD :(

It was really smooth and fun while it lasted though :)

similar thing happened about an year ago. The differences were, I had Ubuntu + Vista and when I needed more space, I formatted the Windows partition instead.

:D

Rahim

Married!
What Lies at the Heart of "Avatar"?

If nothing else, "Avatar" is a computational tour-de-force. Here are some details of the kit they used:

It takes a lot of data center horsepower to create the stunning visual effects behind blockbuster movies such as King Kong, X-Men, the Lord of the Rings trilogy and most recently, James Cameron’s $230 million Avatar. Tucked away in Wellington, New Zealand are the facilities where visual effects company Weta Digital renders the imaginary landscapes of Middle Earth and Pandora at a campus of studios, production facilities, soundstages and a purpose-built data center.

The Weta data center got a major hardware refresh and redesign in 2008 and now uses more than 4,000 HP BL2×220c blades (new BL2×220c G6 blades announced last month), 10 Gigabit Ethernet networking gear from Foundry and storage from BluArc and NetApp. The system now occupies spot 193 through 197 in the Top 500 list of the most powerful supercomputers.

Here's info about Weta from the Top500 site:

Site WETA Digital
System Family HP Cluster Platform 3000BL
System Model Cluster Platform 3000 BL 2x220
Computer Cluster Platform 3000 BL2x220, L54xx 2.5 Ghz, GigE
Vendor Hewlett-Packard
Application area Media
Installation Year 2009

Operating System Linux

Oh, look: Linux. Why am I not surprised...? :D

Source

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
^^ oh..wow.. I didn't knew this. But which software they're using in Linux, any info on that? Just curious, because softwares like Maya will not run on it.

vaithy

In the zone
^^ oh..wow.. I didn't knew this. But which software they're using in Linux, any info on that? Just curious, because softwares like Maya will not run on it.
Avatar is made of CGI animations technique.. while reading the wikipedia about it
Graphics workstation computers use two to four processors, and thus are a lot more powerful than a home computer, and are specialized for rendering. A large number of workstations (known as a render farm) are networked together to effectively act as a giant computer. The result is a computer-animated movie that can be completed in about one to five years (this process is not comprised solely of rendering, however). A workstation typically costs $2,000 to $16,000, with the more expensive stations being able to render much faster, due to the more technologically advanced hardware that they contain. Pixar's Renderman is rendering software which is widely used as the movie animation industry standard, in competition with Mental Ray. It can be bought at the official Pixar website for about $3,500. It will work on Linux, Mac OS X, and Microsoft Windows based graphics workstations along with an animation program such as Maya and Softimage XSI. Professionals also use digital movie cameras, motion capture or performance capture, bluescreens, film editing software, props, and other tools for movie animation.

source:*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CGI_animation

Weta Digital has created a number of custom made in-house proprietary software to enable them to achieve groundbreaking visual effects. Since they use Linux cluster and workstations computer it had to be run on this also blender is already proved to properitary softwares to run for thir money.Holleywood never going to let out thier trade secrets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom