Open Source Disk Partitioner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vivek788

In the zone
Hey I wud like to know if there exists any open source disk partitioner that can partition drives without deleting entire partition..i.e using the free space.

We want to use them for the students workshops,the intial ideas were of using Partition Magic,which some said is the only s/w tat can safely partition it.But we want to use only open source and free.

Currently we are planning on using gparted boot cd.If there is any better option or if availlable as application please tell....

I googled,but couldn't make sure of advantages/disadvantages over gparted...

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Yup, that should suffice, if you have any doubts, read the documentation and ask in the forum.

*gparted-livecd.tuxfamily.org/documentation.php

praka123

left this forum longback
^...even qtparted though much buggier than gparted ;) and not to mention lotta cli tools like fdisk,cfdisk,testdisk et al ;) read "man" pages for more details.cfdisk is quiet similar to windows fdisk :)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
No point in using fdisk and stuff when gparted does all that automatically at a go. And those tools are powerful enough to cause havoc if they don't understand how to use them properly. parted is much easier to use and gparted even easier.

praka123

left this forum longback
^cfdisk or testdisk does not need a rocket scientist to use it properly!and..dont believe even gparted completely!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
One word of advise: Whether you use GPartEd, QParted, Partition Magic, Partition Manager, Vista Partitioner or whatever DO NOT RELY ON THE CLAIM THAT YOUR DATA WILL BE SAFE!

If you wanna use it teach students, I'd suggest you go in for virtualisation and teach them in this way; whatever software you use.

Rahim

Married!
^^ So True.
You may use those Apps 99 times without any problem but that ONE Time you will regret and understand the importance of Backing Up the Data the hard way.

OP
Vivek788

Vivek788

In the zone
hehe...anyway we wanted to just avoid paid software...we did it with gparted..not much prob except a few slow systems that never finished defragging....

And abt data..it was our lab wich was backed up b4 the workshop..so actually the students didnt care...but those who used it at home claimed no data loss yet...so gparted is the winner!!!

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
gparted has cleaned up my partition table twice atleast. :(

But Now no more partitioning is needed so I dont care abt it anymore

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Yup gparted is the best.
Also while partitioning using any software,it is advisable to take a backup of your important data.

Rahim

Married!
Whether you use paid software(Partition Magic) or freeware(GParted), it is always recommended to backup your data.
Better be Safe than Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom