Older Windows to Lose Support: Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sykora

I see right through you.
mediator said:
I think all the necessary updates and patches are released.My Xp system runs smoothly since 1.6 yrs now.

You're lucky.

mediator said:
I dont think there will be a major turnaround for Vista when it'll be released. No one will use it.

I disagree. Many people will be forced to change. Take DX10 for example. There will be other services which will become available only for Vista, making many people upgrade.

mediator said:
Neways I use linux most of time .....and keep a check windows maintainece regularly so that ma family doesnt have any complaints.

My situation exactly. But I will take an objective look at Vista when it comes out, and if it does satisfactorily, I'll think about it.

rohan

In the zone
well.. as if i ever cared for microsoft's support.... well.. let's see. I have never run windows update and never downloaded any patch from microsoft's site... so doesn't at all matter for me ;)

anandk

Distinguished Member
End of support for Windows XP Service Pack 1

On October 10, 2006, Microsoft will end all public assisted support for Windows XP Service Pack1 (SP1). After this date, Microsoft will no longer provide any incident support options or security updates for this retired service pack under the policies defined by the Microsoft Support Lifecycle policy.

*www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=35340

and SP2...by 30 Jan 07 ??? heard but not sure !?!?

sabret00the

Youngling
Its not as bad as it seems.When a new operating system is launched (Lemme use a better word "Release") by MS and it replaces the existing OS then they tend to slowly phase out the existing OS.They still continue to provide support for the OS till it is produced / sold.All updates are available throughout that period.Once the OS is completely stopped then its support is withdrawn.Practically bcoz it is no longer manufactured so hw can they provide replacements.Moreover u wud like customer's to buy new products and not stick to older products.As far as techie's are concerned they dont need any support from the company and the messege to general users is plz move with time.U knw I work in tech support process and when we were told that MS has stopped supporting 9x,2k and ME its came as relief for us.U'll knw when u have to support a computer that was manufactured in 1996and the owner has lost the driver floppies (even if he had them they wud be worthless by nw) and u hv to do an OS reinstall.Dunno where to download drivers.C'mon guys u cant keep driving ur gr8 gr8 grandfather's Ford Model T forever.Gotta Grow Up

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom