Older Windows to Lose Support: Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssdivisiongermany1933

Still in war with allies
Microsoft Corp has announced that starting July 11, the company will end support for some of its older Windows versions. In effect, around 70 million users will be left stranded without security updates.

The versions that will be affected, according to Microsoft, are Windows 98, Windows 98 Special Edition (SE), and Windows Millennium Edition (ME). As such, users of these versions will be left with no protection in terms of security patches and other such software fixes that Microsoft regularly issues, leaving them open to attacks by malicious hackers.

Microsoft had in January planned to discontinue updates for older versions, but extended the time period to give users maximum time to upgrade.

Meanwhile, according to industry sources, of the total number of Window users, only around 13 percent of PCs run licensed versions of Windows 98 or Windows ME.

As per an earlier study by IDC, a Massachusetts-based market research firm, an estimated 48 million computers were still running licensed versions of Windows 98 at the end of 2005, with 25 million still using Windows ME. The firm had at the time expressed the view that by the end of 2006, the number of Windows 98 and Windows ME installations would take a huge dip.

source :

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I knew about this before , but didnt know the exact date .

PS:Source ?

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
That everyone knows!! Because MS wants all to switch to Vista (buy it!!).
Who cares? I use Linux, no need to anti-spyware, antivirus, security updates!!
Windows 9x/ 2000/XP users are going to suffer in a big way!!

anandk

Distinguished Member
Now, End of support for even Windows XP Service Pack 1...
On October 10, 2006, Microsoft will end all public assisted support for Windows XP Service Pack1 (SP1)....
*www.microsoft.com/windows/support/endofsupport.mspx

Pathik

Google Bot
hey can someone tell wen SP3 ill be launched forsure......

@tech Source:TOI 12 july

Last edited:

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
JGuru said:
That everyone knows!! Because MS wants all to switch to Vista (buy it!!).
Who cares? I use Linux, no need to anti-spyware, antivirus, security updates!!

This is agree.... There are security updates though..

abhishekkulkarni

Journeyman
Typical of Microsoft to betray it's users ..

Actually , provoding software patches and updates is in itself a very disgusting phenomenon .
It indicates that Microsoft agrees that it's OSes are up to no good .
Installing Service Packs in XP is analogous to giving insulin injections to a Diabetic ! :x

mediator

Technomancer
I think all the necessary updates and patches are released.My Xp system runs smoothly since 1.6 yrs now. Who needs further patches.
I dont think there will be a major turnaround for Vista when it'll be released. No one will use it. Software developers like java,perl,shell etc need average of 128 Mb RAM and 10 GB HDD for their work, Graphic and animation personnel need huge RAM and hdd space. So former wont need VISTA and latter wont be able to use it because of huge resource hogging OS. ANd I think home and casual users arent stupid to waste money on hardware just to install VISTA except for extremely techgeek ones.
I'm a wish for software development and m banging ma head as to why I sold ma oldPC with 32 MB ram and 2 gb HDD. It was perfect for softare development.

Neways I use linux most of time .....and keep a check windows maintainece regularly so that ma family doesnt have any complaints.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom