Official Samsung Spica Discussion Thread

amit3987

Broken In
hey guys, could ul tell me how whats d average time that ur spica battery last aftr a full recharge specially on jc5 version and wht apps do u run in the backgrnd......

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
1 day with helix launcher, it was awesome .... until I installed Launcher pro !!! Launcher pro is butter smooth, no lags no stuttering. Highly recommended.

Just one question, how can I remove this POS battery hog pantheon and save some space ? I my phone is on official 2.1 currently.

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
1 day with helix launcher, it was awesome .... until I installed Launcher pro !!! Launcher pro is butter smooth, no lags no stuttering. Highly recommended.

Just one question, how can I remove this POS battery hog pantheon and save some space ? I my phone is on official 2.1 currently.

You need to use Android debug bridge(trust your phone is rooted).

Goto terminal/command and type :

adb shell
#sudo rm -f /system/app/<<name of the app.apk>>

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
^^ Thx but the phone is not rooted, i will do it soon . I have Win7 64 and drivers for 64bit are not available :(

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
^^ Thx but the phone is not rooted, i will do it soon . I have Win7 64 and drivers for 64bit are not available :(

I don't have much idea about Samsung phones but why can't you just uninstall it from settings->applications.

As far as Android SDK is concerned; you can use Ubuntu version. Its hassle free in the sense that you dont need USB drivers here. Frankly installing SDK for the first time on Windows is a pain at the wrong place:oops:!

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
No you cant do that, I don't get options to uninstall programs which came with the installation like pantheon,myspace, etc.

you can do it from settings >>applications >>manage applications. you just need to change the filter to all apps, to show all pre installed apps. I've posted the same with pics, just a few pages back :)

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
^^ I know you did, I can see the apps but there is not uninstall option.

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

How to enable GPRS on my Spica, I have a Idea connection and whenever i try to activate GPRS it tells me that the device is not supported.... WTF !!

vulpine

Broken In
Hello Spicans:razz:,
Finally Xams over . Having great fun with my darling spica:cloud9:.
Flashed kitchen mod, went on pretty smoothly
Launcher pro made hell lotta difference to the feel of the device. I'm lovin it. Apps2SD is what I always dreamt of. And now I have Root he he.....

And recovery is very handy for backups and quick recovery. Now the spica looks complete with this mod.

^^^+100

In default app manager, I too cant find uninstall for default apps. But if you have root, there are many ways to do it. U just need to delete it from system/app/

I did it using titanium back up( Must have for ROM switchers). I removed android keyboard using it.

How to enable GPRS on my Spica, I have a Idea connection and whenever i try to activate GPRS it tells me that the device is not supported.... WTF !!

You need to activate 'internet' setting. I donno what its called in idea. ( Mobile office- Airtel, Mobile connect- Vodafone)
Check with Idea website.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
^^ Hi, seems that you have almost done everything with your phone :) , a guide to do the same will be appreciated. Please also mention the links to the files we need to use when flashing and also please list the prerequisites.

I know i can flash my phone to a CFW if i follow threads on Samdroid or google for it , but if the info is coming from a fellow digit member its more easy to get.

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
For GPRS to work on an Android phone you need full Edge connection. Half as$ed GPRS service given by most of the mobile operator will not cut here. Thankfully all mobile operator also offer full Edge service.

Once you are sure that you have Edge (ask customer service guys - laptop connect karne wala :D ) service activated on your number; you are good to go. You just need access point name for that service. For e.g. I am on Vodafone Mobile Connect and my access point is 'www'. Tap in this data & leave other fields blank. Press back button and you should be connected to GPRS network.

BTW Eclair configures access points automatically!

sachitgul

Journeyman
For GPRS to work on an Android phone you need full Edge connection. Half as$ed GPRS service given by most of the mobile operator will not cut here. Thankfully all mobile operator also offer full Edge service.

Once you are sure that you have Edge (ask customer service guys - laptop connect karne wala :D ) service activated on your number; you are good to go. You just need access point name for that service. For e.g. I am on Vodafone Mobile Connect and my access point is 'www'. Tap in this data & leave other fields blank. Press back button and you should be connected to GPRS network.

BTW Eclair configures access points automatically!

dude i am trying to get Vodafone EDGE services on my Samsung Spica for like ages now..
today i some how succeeded but the speed is just too slow..
Maps and stuff like that just refuse load..

here is what i did..
correct me if im wrong..
im based in andheri,mumbai and i have a prepaid connection..

Vodafone Live! was already activated on my phone (i had sms-ed ACT VL 144)
then i setup the following APN settings..

Name: Vodafone Live!
APN: portalnmms
Proxy: 10.10.1.100
Port: 9401
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMSC:
MMS Proxy:
MMS Pert:
MCC: 404
MNC:20
APN type : internet

i do have a EDGE notif in my notif bar..
but my connection is just tooo slow..

having an android phone and having slow internet is lame..
help me on this one..

vulpine

Broken In
@Sachit
If you have not read my earlier posts,
You need to activate "Vodafone Mobile Connect" to access internet. I too pulled my hair in figuring this out. VMC is too costly(starting from 199) compared to the competition.
I switched to Airtel which has more reasonable internet plans.

Regarding speed, I used my dad's VMC activated sim once on my phone, Speeds were good(EDGE coverage was there).

So, To activate VMC, You need to Contact Customer care or visit vodafone India site.

vulpine

Broken In
Hi guys,
I have upgraded launcher pro to 0.5.1 beta. Its very cool. Upgrade and check it out. It has cool 3D App browser ala nexus one. Which is surprisingly very smooth.

And yeah you can make it look like froyo:cool:
*img695.imageshack.us/img695/3204/cap201006111710.jpg*img812.imageshack.us/img812/6233/cap201006111711.jpg

Download from Official Site

And those who want Drocap2 but didn't find in the market. Here's the link

maddu5731

Broken In
Hi guys,
I have upgraded launcher pro to 0.5.1 beta. Its very cool. Upgrade and check it out. It has cool 3D App browser ala nexus one. Which is surprisingly very smooth.

And yeah you can make it look like froyo:cool:
*img695.imageshack.us/img695/3204/cap201006111710.jpg*img812.imageshack.us/img812/6233/cap201006111711.jpg

Download from Official Site

And those who want Drocap2 but didn't find in the market. Here's the link

Thanx for this.I've been searching for dropcap2 in the market but it was not found there.

Anyone, who wants to enable idea full edge connection needs to recharge with a Rs. 98 internet top-up which is a 2GB limit plan(I'm on this).
USE THE FOLLOWING SETTINGS

profile name:- idea_internet
apn:- internet

Thats it.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

can someone tell me how to use apps2sd,I mean how to format the sd card and create partitions,also how to create back-up and restore.
I'm planning to flash it with the kitchen cooked rom once again....

Thanx in advance

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I thought Ideas plan was for Rs 97 ? Im considering switching from Airtel to Idea I seem to get much more reception using their network in Kerala.

maddu5731

Broken In
*img695.imageshack.us/img695/3204/cap201006111710.jpg

Can u please tell me which widgets u r using for time and weather?

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

I thought Ideas plan was for Rs 97 ? Im considering switching from Airtel to Idea I seem to get much more reception using their network in Kerala.

I'm from delhi and here the plan is for Rs.98, speeds are good, I think better than airtel and vodaone
U can compare it with docomo...:grin:

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
updating launcher pro as i write, awesome. :D

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

it rocks, thx for the update Vulpine

Top Bottom