Official Samsung Galaxy SL (i9003) Thread

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Hi,

I bought a new Samsung GSL i9003 a week before and using it. I was about to post queries about the apps and other issues of the phone, but didn't find any relevant thread. So thinking of opening a new thread, where we only discuss about GSL i9003.

The phone is awesome and this is my first Android phone and this is my first phone above 7k.(I never bought a phone above 7k) :D

So all owners for Galaxy SL, start posting your views/opinions/issues regarding the phone.

Here the issue i have :

I changed the option called "Auto-Rotate Screen" and after that without rotating my phone the screen goes to horizontal mode. I just want it to switch to horizontal mode only when i rotate the phone. Does anybody know what is the issue?

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Here the issue i have :

I changed the option called "Auto-Rotate Screen" and after that without rotating my phone the screen goes to horizontal mode. I just want it to switch to horizontal mode only when i rotate the phone. Does anybody know what is the issue?

I have the phone too... and the issue is absent. I suggest you take it back to the shop or to service center. This is definitely a problem with the gyrpscope of the phone...

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
I have the phone too... and the issue is absent. I suggest you take it back to the shop or to service center. This is definitely a problem with the gyrpscope of the phone...

Got it now. did something like Horizontal Calibration and turn on the "Auto-Rotate Screen" option now, and it's working. I don't know whether it has anything related to Calibration, but it's working fine now.

EDIT : Can anyone please suggest some good protective cover for my SGSL i9003. Any good brands?

Last edited:

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
@furious_gamer,

Galaxy SL i9003 has a front facing cam... Know anything about online video chat software that uses the front cam? I tried Yahoo messenger, but it uses the rear camera and not the front one...

Have heard about ooVoo... will try it in the evening...

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
@furious_gamer,

Galaxy SL i9003 has a front facing cam... Know anything about online video chat software that uses the front cam? I tried Yahoo messenger, but it uses the rear camera and not the front one...

Have heard about ooVoo... will try it in the evening...

tried fring and working fine. But it's just video chat and dont have any idea about video calls...

EDIT : Can anyone please suggest some good protective cover for my SGSL i9003. Any good brands?

Hi guys, how can i stop the unwanted applications from running in the background? Too may apps running in the background even if i am not opening it. Every time i have to use Task Killer to kill the apps.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Hi guys, how can i stop the unwanted applications from running in the background? Too may apps running in the background even if i am not opening it. Every time i have to use Task Killer to kill the apps.

Don't bother about the services running in the background. They are essential to Android. If you stop them, they will just restart.

Just use the Galaxy SL builtin task killer to kill running apps... that is enough...

Last edited:
OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Don't bother about the services running in the background. They are essential to Android. If you stop them, they will just restart.

Just use the Galaxy SL builtin task killer to kill running apps... that is enough...

But apps like Daily News, Places were running which i never opened. Why so? is that essential? I am barely getting a backup of 1 day in heavy usage. So need to pull off all the unnecessary apps running.

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
No, these apps aren't essentials. These apps restarts own their own for updates.
Just enlist your most used apps in ignore list of task killer and put a widget on homescreen to kill other unwanted apps when you run out of memory.

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
No, these apps aren't essentials. These apps restarts own their own for updates.
Just enlist your most used apps in ignore list of task killer and put a widget on homescreen to kill other unwanted apps when you run out of memory.

Thanks man. Will try that now.

BTW Anyone know good back cover for this phone?

aakashdave11

Gadget gyan dispenser
taskillers used lead to even more memory usage.They temporarily kill applications which start again...which leads to more memory usage......

Programs like taskiller etc can also lead to crashes....as they just kill the process which starts again....

Lately many new type of memory saving apps have been introduced ...m not able to recollect the name....

p>S:it is better to let the apps run in the background rather than kill the process...

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
taskillers used lead to even more memory usage.They temporarily kill applications which start again...which leads to more memory usage......

Programs like taskiller etc can also lead to crashes....as they just kill the process which starts again....

Lately many new type of memory saving apps have been introduced ...m not able to recollect the name....

p>S:it is better to let the apps run in the background rather than kill the process...

See the issue is, those tasks taking half of RAM, say 230MB of 478MB RAM and it starts lagging when i play games.

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Can some one suggest me some Jelly back cover for i9003. Some dealer at TE told me that i9000's cover is not suitable for i9003

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
I was planning to ditch Nokia/Symbian (N85) and hop on to Android. Was thinking of getting Nexus S mostly because it has a front cam and is a decent handset along with the fact that it will get Android updates quicker than any other set.

Now ever since furious_gamer has purchased Galaxy SL which also has a front cam but a lot cheaper than Nexus S, I deviated towards it. furious_gamer, are you totally happy with your decision...if yes I will also go for it, rather than waiting for Nexus S's price to come down to close to 20K

Edit: Yes, front cam is my requirement. I have got used to video calls :)

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
I was planning to ditch Nokia/Symbian (N85) and hop on to Android. Was thinking of getting Nexus S mostly because it has a front cam and is a decent handset along with the fact that it will get Android updates quicker than any other set.

Now ever since furious_gamer has purchased Galaxy SL which also has a front cam but a lot cheaper than Nexus S, I deviated towards it. furious_gamer, are you totally happy with your decision...if yes I will also go for it, rather than waiting for Nexus S's price to come down to close to 20K

Edit: Yes, front cam is my requirement. I have got used to video calls :)

TBF i am very much satisfied with it (Leave the part that i am newbie for android and don't know how to maintain a phone). Good gaming performace (what i need mostly), good apps performance and cam quality is too good. But one thing is it misses is, flash. But since i am not a photo freak, no issue for me.

Ligjht-weight on hand. Once it fell from a height of say 50cm and to my surprise no scratches or whatsoever.

According to me, VFM one. Using fring to making video calls. Quality is good.

Overall a good purchase i can rate it 8/10. (2 points for no flash and TouchWiz UI)

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
hmmm, I am more and more inclined towards this phone now. HD recording is there (which is absent in Nexus S), though no HDMI port (but we can still transfer it and view in computer etc.). Moreover radio! Why have they not put it in Nexus S.

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
@gagan007

Even i was wondering about the same thing. If i was gone mad at that time,sure i'd bought something else.

HD recording is there and it is awesome. Shot some rainy days and watched it in my PC. It's really awesome.

Radio is good. Coz since i have only 2GB memory for media (No SD card installed yet, using the inbuilt 2+2GB memory), i listen radio very often. Esp the one where pop songs were played.

One more thing is , not so bulky as other phones. Slim and fit in pocket.

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
So, you are going it buy it this month? Then, advance congo buddy.

But don't do the same mistake i did. I bought it for 20.5k coz thats the best price i can get @ my home town(Not a city, sadly).

But here you can get it for even @ 18.5k @ local dealers. Make sure you are getting a good deal.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
ohh I was thinking of purchasing it online through Univercell.in. But if you say so I will check out The Mobile Store in Koramanagala. Three showrooms they have in here. Sangeetha also gives best mobile deals, but will have to go to Jayanagar (Sangeetha@Forum sucks big time) :(.

Top Bottom