O2 XDA Neo

Status
Not open for further replies.

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
I am kinda noob with this. I have bought (in transit) a O2 XDA Neo from shopping.indiatimes.com, will it support airtel network in hyderabad???...and it has Windows Mobile 5, will i be able to use most of the Wm5 applications available??

OP
ionicsachin

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
no bro, i m not local....
by the way will it be able to run all the applications like ones available from VITO and SQB companies

Pat

Beyond Smart
^^ Yes.

You can use all WM5 apps. But I would suggest you upgrade to WM6 as soon as you get the phone.

Last edited:
OP
ionicsachin

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
i m already confused with the heavily loaded XDA developer forum, i just needed a nice and simple upgrade to WM6.1, but cudnt find any

Pat

Beyond Smart
Here you go buddy. Everything you *should* read:

*wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=HTC_Prophet

OP
ionicsachin

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
yeah man, tried reading that...but still thr is no jargon buster, i donno what is what......btw....are u using Prophet????

x3060

A LOTR fan
am using p3400, its quiet easy to mod...just next,next,next as windows.

dont worry its just too easy :)

OP
ionicsachin

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
@Pat
Thanks buddy, i ve got quite a list of doubts:-
1) I guess ROM is the place where we upgrade and put the firmware, so why are many different ROMS available, what is this cooked ROM actually?
2)What is Pagepool, HardSPL and SoftSPL?
3)What is UC capability of ROM?
4)What is Radio and Extended ROM?
5) "Making the Extension Rom.nb (using that 10Mb that we never used)

* go to Update_Package\Create Extended Rom\Winimage Trial and run the winimage.exe
* open the Create Extended Rom\extrom-base\extende_rom.nb with winimage.exe
you will see a file inside it says : "You should put your files here". Delete that file!
* go to the ExtRom folder. (Look at the picture) you will find ExtRom folder in most of the wm6 roms. when you download a wm6 rom, this folder is usually beside the Upgrade_ROM.bat .
* make all the files read only (Select them, right click , then properties and then read Only) <-------Important!! (Updated)
* inject the ExtRom folder
* save the file.
"
What are the files he is talking about in "make all the files read only"

Thats all for now, hope u dont get bored :)

Pat

Beyond Smart
@Pat
Thanks buddy, i ve got quite a list of doubts:-
1) I guess ROM is the place where we upgrade and put the firmware, so why are many different ROMS available, what is this cooked ROM actually?
ROM is a place where the operating system resides. Different ROM-makers change different settings in OS, install different apps and thus build their version of ROM. Its like different flavors of Linux distros (each with different settings/apps but the base is the same)

2)What is Pagepool, HardSPL and SoftSPL?
Pagepool is like cache memory that we have on pc's. Probably technically it might be different, but basically it means the same.\

For SPL Questions:
*wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=SPL Questions?
3)What is UC capability of ROM?
User-Customizability capability implies the facility where the user can install apps directly from the cabs stored in memory card after a format / reinstall.

4)What is Radio and Extended ROM?
Radio is that part of OS that communicates with cellular network (calling, gprs etc.)
Extended ROM is a part of ROM which does not get removed when you format/reinstall the OS on your phone. It is typically used to install some apps right after a format/reinstall.

5) "Making the Extension Rom.nb (using that 10Mb that we never used)

* go to Update_Package\Create Extended Rom\Winimage Trial and run the winimage.exe
* open the Create Extended Rom\extrom-base\extende_rom.nb with winimage.exe
you will see a file inside it says : "You should put your files here". Delete that file!
* go to the ExtRom folder. (Look at the picture) you will find ExtRom folder in most of the wm6 roms. when you download a wm6 rom, this folder is usually beside the Upgrade_ROM.bat .
* make all the files read only (Select them, right click , then properties and then read Only) <-------Important!! (Updated)
* inject the ExtRom folder
* save the file.
"
What are the files he is talking about in "make all the files read only"
No idea about this. Never used something like this before.

Pat

Beyond Smart
^^ You can. But you have to do it manually (as compared to other methods mentioned in the last post where all cabs get installed one after the other automatically)

OP
ionicsachin

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
I m ready with all the stuff and the ROM of my choice....three more doubts:-
1) I have windows Vista only, can it be done on Vista???
2) Cooked ROMS come with predefined Keyboards and all, what if i want my custom keyboard and Slide locks
3) Radio ROM shud be installed before or after upgrading??

Pat

Beyond Smart
I m ready with all the stuff and the ROM of my choice....three more doubts:-
1) I have windows Vista only, can it be done on Vista???
There are some guides explaining how to do it on Vista. I have never taken any chances, because unlike iPhone, win-mo phones *CAN* get bricked. So be careful.

2) Cooked ROMS come with predefined Keyboards and all, what if i want my custom keyboard and Slide locks
You can install them once your new ROM is installed.
3) Radio ROM shud be installed before or after upgrading??
Any time. Does not matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom