NVidia or AMD for Linux

NVidia or AMD for Linux?

• Total voters

mastermunj

In the zone
I am planning to buy new PC in coming weeks and contemplating to switch to Ubuntu. I do play games but not hardcore gamer hence planing a GPU in range of 15K.

Need help with following points:
1. How is driver support from Nvidia / AMD for Linux?
2. How is game playing experience on Linux? (May be via WineHQ). I know it won't be as good as Windows, but I am a casual gamer only.

In nutshell I want to go with GPU with best driver support for Linux.

Minion

Conversation Architect
Best driver support for linux is from AMD but i can't tell about game playing experience.

OP
M

mastermunj

In the zone
Many a times it becomes personal preference too. So far I have received mixed information from various forums. Anyways, poll can be ignored, don't know how to disable it now. :(

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Want to use open source driver fit for everything except gaming? Use AMD. It is okay for gaming these days. 60-70% of Catalyst in most cases. Catalyst only works well with Ubuntu. Not with other distributions imo.

nVidia only for their proprietary driver which is better than Catalyst everywhere. So, if gaming is concerned - nVidia should be the choice. nVidia's open source driver nouveau sucks in comparison to AMD open source driver though.

flyingcow

Shibe
try steam for linux, has limited games. and also games aernt fully optimised, youll get poor performance compared to win,

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
gaming on Linux?? bad choice.

why dont you go for dual boot with win7/8??

anyway, for linux, amd has better supprot than nvidia.

OP
M

mastermunj

In the zone
Dual boot is other option I am thinking of, but Windows will then only be for Gaming.

gaming on Linux?? bad choice.

why dont you go for dual boot with win7/8??

anyway, for linux, amd has better supprot than nvidia.

Linux won't be fore gaming mainly. It's for my research on bigdata and other programming stuff.
If I could get decent gaming experience on Linux then I won't have to go for Dual boot, otherwise will do Windows 7 / Ubuntu.

Dual boot is other option I am thinking of, but Windows will then only be for Gaming.

Linux won't be fore gaming mainly. It's for my research on bigdata and other programming stuff.
If I could get decent gaming experience on Linux then I won't have to go for Dual boot, otherwise will do Windows 7 / Ubuntu.

You can use Windows as main OS and run Linux in a VM.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl

Research works in any data integration and ETL have nothing to do with underlying OS, it can be done with windows too and in better ways. You must have some GRID level semi-automated architecture implemented in Client-server mapped customer support interactions, transactions, and information coming from packaged applications like ERP and CRM online to speedup script level processing thus using the flavor of UNIX in its full glory, otherwise linux is just another OS for unstructured and semi-structured data, its the DB that matters, as we know windows has the most robust DB/OLAP bridges in the history of DB

OP
M

mastermunj

In the zone
You can use Windows as main OS and run Linux in a VM.

I am actually planning to keep Linux as my main OS.

Research works in any data integration and ETL have nothing to do with underlying OS, it can be done with windows too and in better ways. You must have some GRID level semi-automated architecture implemented in Client-server mapped customer support interactions, transactions, and information coming from packaged applications like ERP and CRM online to speedup script level processing thus using the flavor of UNIX in its full glory, otherwise linux is just another OS for unstructured and semi-structured data, its the DB that matters, as we know windows has the most robust DB/OLAP bridges in the history of DB

That my friend was too much to read in one go. It's just about moving to Linux. Just trying to know if gaming will be decent there or not, since I am not much into gaming anyways.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Want to use open source driver fit for everything except gaming? Use AMD. It is okay for gaming these days. 60-70% of Catalyst in most cases. Catalyst only works well with Ubuntu. Not with other distributions imo.

nVidia only for their proprietary driver which is better than Catalyst everywhere. So, if gaming is concerned - nVidia should be the choice. nVidia's open source driver nouveau sucks in comparison to AMD open source driver though.

+1 to that. Go with NVIDIA if you want to install official drivers from NVIDIA (closed source). They'll give you much, much better performance & will work well with 99% of Linux distros. If you are going with AMD & their closed source drivers, then stick with Ubuntu & its derivatives. Also, GNOME 3 has/had issues with AMD drivers.

IMO, it is better to go with NVIDIA. I've been using NVIDIA GTX 260 graphics card since last 4 years and never had any issues with it. Tried it on multiple distros such as Arch Linux (bleeding edge), Ubuntu (mainstream) & Debain & CentOS. All played perfectly with NVIDIA.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect

i dont know for sure, i havent gamed on linux, but i can guarantee it wont be as good as on windows.

dual boot is the way to go.

which tools are you planning to use??

chris

In the zone
Gaming on Linux improving a lot. See SteamBox by steam, it use Linux. Currently they support NVIDIA . Shortly AMD support will come. Currenly they only support NVIDIA as AMD GPU have performance issue with Linux, but they are working on it.

Get a GPU recommended by SteamOS, then you are safe. Steam guys say games runs better on Linux than Windows. I tried to switch to Ubuntu, that failed because of AMD GPU, it can't run games properly on Linux. When i upgrade GPU i may go for AMD only as it have low power consumption, but i will wait and make sure it work perfectly with SteamOS.

Here is some GPU benchmarks on SteamOS/Linux

[Phoronix] The First NVIDIA GeForce Benchmarks On The SteamOS Beta

[Phoronix] AMD Catalyst Graphics Do Work On SteamOS

[Phoronix] Open-Source AMD Radeon Graphics Had A Wonderful 2013

OP
M

mastermunj

In the zone
+1 to that. Go with NVIDIA if you want to install official drivers from NVIDIA (closed source). They'll give you much, much better performance & will work well with 99% of Linux distros. If you are going with AMD & their closed source drivers, then stick with Ubuntu & its derivatives. Also, GNOME 3 has/had issues with AMD drivers.

IMO, it is better to go with NVIDIA. I've been using NVIDIA GTX 260 graphics card since last 4 years and never had any issues with it. Tried it on multiple distros such as Arch Linux (bleeding edge), Ubuntu (mainstream) & Debain & CentOS. All played perfectly with NVIDIA.

Thank you buddy, I think NVidia could be good option here.

i dont know for sure, i havent gamed on linux, but i can guarantee it wont be as good as on windows.

dual boot is the way to go.

which tools are you planning to use??

Mainly I will be using all programming software only. Some movies and casual games.

Gaming on Linux improving a lot. See SteamBox by steam, it use Linux. Currently they support NVIDIA . Shortly AMD support will come. Currenly they only support NVIDIA as AMD GPU have performance issue with Linux, but they are working on it.

Get a GPU recommended by SteamOS, then you are safe. Steam guys say games runs better on Linux than Windows. I tried to switch to Ubuntu, that failed because of AMD GPU, it can't run games properly on Linux. When i upgrade GPU i may go for AMD only as it have low power consumption, but i will wait and make sure it work perfectly with SteamOS.

Here is some GPU benchmarks on SteamOS/Linux

[Phoronix] The First NVIDIA GeForce Benchmarks On The SteamOS Beta

[Phoronix] AMD Catalyst Graphics Do Work On SteamOS

[Phoronix] Open-Source AMD Radeon Graphics Had A Wonderful 2013

That is a lot of thing to read. I'll go through it over this weekend to get more insight. Thank you. :)

nikufellow

In the zone
I've tried catalyst with ubuntu and it works fine. Same should apply for other distros like xubuntu? mint based of ubuntu i guess

Top Bottom