NVIDIA GeForce 8600-Series Details Unveiled

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
NVIDIA prepares its next-generation mid-range and mainstream DirectX 10 GPUs

8600GT and 8500GT graphics processors. NVIDIA’s GeForce 8600GTS and 8600GT are G84-based GPUs and target the mid-range markets. The lower-positioned G86-based GeForce 8500GT serves as the flagship low to mid-range graphics card.

The budget-priced trio feature full support for DirectX 10 features including pixel and vertex shader model 4.0. NVIDIA has yet to reveal the amount of shaders or shader clocks though. Nevertheless, the trio supports NVIDIA SLI and PureVideo technologies.

NVIDIA touts three dedicated video engines on the G84 and G86-based graphics cards for PureVideo processing. The video engines provide MPEG-2 high-definition and WMV HD video playback up to resolutions of 1080p. G84 and G86 support hardware accelerated decoding of H.264 video as well; however, NVIDIA makes no mention of VC-1 decoding. G84 and G86 also feature advanced post-processing video algorithms. Supported algorithms include spatial-temporal de-interlacing, inverse 2:2, 3:2 pull-down and 4-tap horizontal, and 5-tap vertical video scaling.

*images.dailytech.com/nimage/4150_GeForce8600GT.jpg

*images.dailytech.com/nimage/4149_GeForce8600GTS.jpg

At the top of the mid-range lineup is the GeForce 8600GTS. The G84-based graphics core clocks in at 675 MHz. NVIDIA pairs the GeForce 8600GTS with 256MB of GDDR3 memory clocked at 1000 MHz. The memory interfaces with the GPU via a 128-bit bus. The GeForce 8600GTS does not integrate HDCP keys on the GPU. Add-in board partners will have to purchase separate EEPROMs with HDCP keys; however, all GeForce 8600GTS-based graphics cards feature support for HDCP.

Source

goobimama

 Macboy
When are they gonna release these already... such a long gap between these and their 8800 counterparts...

goobimama

 Macboy
After getting a 7900GT I realise that I've lost all appetite for gaming...I install a game, play for 5 minutes and i'm bored...

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
goobimama said:
After getting a 7900GT I realise that I've lost all appetite for gaming...I install a game, play for 5 minutes and i'm bored...

not everyone playes games boy :D. Live with a FX 5900XT like me & you will know, why I don't like PC gaming

One thing is good, even OpenGL 2.0 supports unified shaders now, which means these DX10 gfx cards will result in more performance with OpenGL games too when used with unified shader.

royal

Padawan
goobimama said:

And why is that so ??? :confused:

goobimama

 Macboy
What have OpenGL got to do with me not playing games? All I'm saying is that I don't have that "thing" anymore. I just install the game, marvel at its graphics, play around for a few minutes to experience its sound effects. And after that there's nothing.

....Maybe I haven't played the right game, living by my past tastes...I need to find something new (maybe oblivion IV)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
goobimama said:
What have OpenGL got to do with me not playing games? All I'm saying is that I don't have that "thing" anymore. I just install the game, marvel at its graphics, play around for a few minutes to experience its sound effects. And after that there's nothing.

....Maybe I haven't played the right game, living by my past tastes...I need to find something new (maybe oblivion IV)

OpenGL has nothing to do with U, i was just informing.

Try Quake 4 :D

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
I want to tell u something very important Before Purchasing a 8600 think twice because i have seen that the performance of the 8800 was way lower than expected on crysis demo it gave a maximum of 53 fps on resolution of 1024X768

kirangp

The joy Of Wow
This is just marketing by nvidia...they could have released this along with 8800 series but they wanted the poor public to purchase the costlier 8800 & now when all vista hype has died down they are releasing the lower end version of the card...When there are too many DX-10 cards then only I am going to think about purchasing until then my Asus 9600 XT is more than sufficient to play games in decent resolutions.Too bad it doesnt support Pixel shader 4..

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Harvik780 said:
I want to tell u something very important Before Purchasing a 8600 think twice because i have seen that the performance of the 8800 was way lower than expected on crysis demo it gave a maximum of 53 fps on resolution of 1024X768

unreleased game, newer architecture of G80,driver support still in its infancy......doesnt that ring a bell ?

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
pathiks said:
nice !! .. btw wat ll be the approx price of 8600gt and gts???
Accoriding to *www.pclaunches.com/graphic_cards 8600 is already out and the price for the same is between $150 to $180...here is the article:
Nvidia GeForce 8600 series supports DX10
February 3, 2007 - 3:42 AM

*www.pclaunches.com/entry_images/0207/03/nvidia-geforce-8600.jpg
If you envy your friend who's playing with DX10 expensive cards, than you can try your hands on moderately priced GeForce 8600GT series which will not make a hole in your pocket. The new series which was recently launched by NVIDIA supports DX10, same as mother-of-all expensive card NVIDIA 8800. Compared to 8800 which is priced at about $600, the price of new series ranges from $150 and $180. The GT runs at 350MHz with 256MB hyper memory, while the Ultra version sports a 500MHz core, with 512MB of memory.

xbonez

NP : Crysis
goobimama said:
in that case ur card is getting wasted. exchange it with my x1600pro :))

goobimama

 Macboy
Thing is I already have a 1600pro, so having two of the same cards kind of gets redundant. I like Nvidia, and I'll keep it that way thanks.(Nice try buddy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom