NTFS Permissions creating havoc

Status
Not open for further replies.

godsownman

Padawan
Hi,

Let me first give you a run up on the series of events that have occured.

I formatted my comp [Fat 32] and installed windows. Now since I have 2 physical drives on my comp, I formatted the second one, but to NTFS.

After that I copied some music files to that drive. Then I was messing with encryption settings for that drive and I encrypted it.

Now , yesterday due to certain unavoidable circumstances I had to reformat my C: so I did it [FAT 32] and then re-installed windows xp.

After that today if I try to play the music from the D: [NTFS/ Encrypted ] it doesnt allow me to access the file.

When I double click the track to play it through WMP I get an error "Windows Media Player cannot access the file." I can delete the file, rename it , but cannot copy it to another drive.

Please solve the problem I have got 183 tracks on that HDD and I cannot afford to loose even a single one.

Thanks for helping me out.

Regards

OP
godsownman

godsownman

Padawan
Ok I got one hint and I even tried it out but its still not working.

" You Have to take 'ownership'"

But how ?

hafees

In the zone
At first you need to show the security Tab when showing File Properties. Right click on the folder and select Properties. If Security tab is there click on it. Otherwise do the following.

Explorer -> Tools ->Folder Options -> View and uncheck the last option. (Simple file sharing enabled or similar). Then repeat the above step and you should get the Security Tab.

Now you can click Advanced

varungupta17

Broken In
I dont think it is a problem of ownership as u have not meddled with the security settings...

Once i too had encypted a waste file while reinstalling windows and after installing i was unable to open it. It was a text file. So I think u too have the same problem. :cry:

Why dont u do one thing. Go to Microsoft Website and search for the problem using the term "encrypt". Hope u will get some solution. Sorry dude this is not a solution but hope it will give u right direction... :cry:

hafees

In the zone
If it is encrypted, you can not retrieve it back. Even if you create the same user name, it wont work. Because u can't recreate the original key. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom