NTFS kernel upgraded, but no access

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
I'm using Fedora Core 5(64-bit) and the rest of the drives are NTFS format. I followed a guide posted by a member here to access NTFS partition and I was successful, but I had to remove Fedora to install SuSE, but having a bad experience I had to remove SuSE and came back to FC5. I used the guide from *www.fedorafaq.org/ I followed the steps given to install the package to read the NTFS partition. I did follow it and yum installed all the dependencies, actually, it upgraded my kernel from 2.6.15-1.2054 to 2.6.18-1.2239. Now, I am getting 2 options when I boot up. One is for the 2.6.15 kernel and the other for 2.6.18 kernel. Even after updating, I am not able to access my NTFS partition. When I try to access the drives, it shows as permission denied. Should I log in as root all the time to access my NTFS partition? If so, are there no workarounds to fix it so that I can access it being a normal user?

Thanks in advance.

Bye!

praka123

left this forum longback
In fedora default for local user read access even is restricted for local user(ie; You).if u want read ntfs partn u need to install the matching linux-ntfs rpm as ur kernel number from linux-ntfs.org as u may have already done.
for local user to read,edit using gedit /etc/fstab and set umask=0222
and correct ur ntfs partn number may be hda1 or sda1 as below:
Code:
/dev/hda1               /mnt/windows              ntfs    umask=0222    0 0
for complete read/write access to ntfs partn,u can get ntfs-3g which allows you to do so.it is available for debian/ubuntu,hopefully for fedora also.
tip:just search google linux for ntfs-3g fc6 rpm also check fedora extras repository

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

Nope!! Not working and it shows while starting up that there is no /mnt/windows. Where have I gone wrong? I think the upgrade went well right?? Please do let me know.

Desi-Tek.com

In the zone
first of all r u able to access ntfs drive as root?
if not than download kernel from here
Code:
*www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.18.2.tar.bz2
now compile it and install it u will be able to access ntfs drive.
if u want to access ntfs driver as a user than change the permision of the mounted directory.
but to write any thing in ntfs drive u have to login as root.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@PhreakOutt, First of all ,create a directory by name 'windows' in the '/mnt' directory. Here is how:
$ su -
(Enter root password)

# mkdir /mnt/windows

#gedit /etc/fstab

Add the following line to the file & save it:

Code:
[b]
[/b]

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

JGuru said:
@PhreakOutt, First of all ,create a directory by name 'windows' in the '/mnt' directory. Here is how:
$ su -
(Enter root password)

# mkdir /mnt/windows

#gedit /etc/fstab

Add the following line to the file & save it:

Code:
[b]
[/b]

Sorry guys, I had forgotten to make the windows directory. I got the actual site which I was looking for. Missed it the first time. Here it is: *www.fc64.org/index.php Well, I was successful to mount only my C drive. But not other drives. Is there a method to mount the other drives as well??

praka123

left this forum longback
if ur using gnome fire up nautilus file manager browse to /mnt directory;make win_D,win_E,win_F etc folders,find their device number corresponding by the command in terminal- "fdisk -l",then edit your /etc/fstab as root using gedit editor and add as below as we did with C drive.
repeating FYI,run:
Code:
~~#fdisk   -l
Code:
/dev/hda1               /mnt/win_D           ntfs    umask=0222    0 0 
/dev/hda5               /mnt/win_E            ntfs    umask=0222    0 0 
/dev/hda6               /mnt/win_F             ntfs    umask=0222    0 0 
...etc
if FAT32 partition,
/dev/hdax               /mnt/win_F             vfat    defaults      0 0
Hope this helps!
Fedora 6 extra installia guide:
*www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc6.html
Atrpms is also a good site for Fedorakkars!
*atrpms.net/dist/fc6/

U can WRITE using ntfs-3g rpm if installed!
*rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/3461557/com/ntfs-3g-0-0.5.20070920.fc5.i386.rpm.html

Last edited:
OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

I expected the same mistake which you have pointed out. Well, I did learn something today. Thanks a lot to all of you :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom