NTFS--->FAT32 in Win2k server

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanpaladka

Journeyman
Dear Friends,
Is it possible to convert a NTFS drive to FAT32 without loosing data in Windows 2000 Server? I want this to Reset all the NTFS permissions from that drive. Don't suggest me Partition manager 8 bcoz it doesn't support WinNT & Win2K servers. Please help me.. :?:

OP
A

alanpaladka

Journeyman
rajas700 said:
u will lose ur data.so back it and then convert it.
If so, then is there any way to reset the NTFS permissions on a drive to Defaut permissions. I previously used WinNT Server as PDC. But due to some problems(virus attack), I have upgraded it to Win2K server. Now I want to store the the Data from previous Homefolders to the newly created homefolders. But when I try to do that, "Access Denied" comes. I have tried all the options in the "Security" tab. But no use. So I thought converting that drive to Fat32 is the easiest option.

rajas700

Youngling
It is not possible to reset the NTFS permissions on a drive to Default.so just back ur drive and then convert it.No other way.And if it may lead to lost of data.

OP
A

alanpaladka

Journeyman
rajas700 said:
It is not possible to reset the NTFS permissions on a drive to Default.so just back ur drive and then convert it.No other way.And if it may lead to lost of data.
Iam not able to open those previous home folders also. When I click, I get "Access Denied". So there is no question of backing up :cry: . Did anyone know a tool like Partition Magic which will work on Win2K server? :?:
The following link gives me a little bit hope.
*support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;266118

rajas700

Youngling
Ok.try this.Live all the things as such.u just istall xp in another drive.Through xp u can access home folder i think!!!

hafees

In the zone
If you have administrative power Windows XP will give u the right to take ownership of anyfile or folder. Why dont u do that and change the security settings?

rajas700

Youngling
hello

alanpaladka said:
OK. I will install XP in D drive and I will use Partition Magic to Convert that Drive to Fat32 :idea:

IF do this u will lose ur data.just access it and the backup your data

after ward's convert it.

OP
A

alanpaladka

Journeyman
I have found a easy way to reset permissions.
In the "security" tab, click advanced then in bottom, there are to checkboxes(select administrator from list which have full control). Click on the second checkbox "reset...."(first one may be selected). A confirmation dialog box appears. Just click Ok. Then it will reset permissions to each subfolders and files on that selected folder. By this way I solved that problem. 8) If you have any other ideas, please tell me. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom