Status
Not open for further replies.

INS-ANI

In the zone
This thread is for promotional purpose.

National programme on technical enhanced learning

*nptel.iitm.ac.in/home.php
Introduction
The main objective of NPTEL program is to enhance the quality of engineering education in the country by developing curriculum based video and web courses. This is being carried out by seven IITs and IISc Bangalore as a collaborative project. In the first phase of the project, supplementary content for 129 web courses in engineering/science and humanities have been developed. Each course contains materials that can be covered in depth in 40 or more lecture hours. In addition, 110 courses have been developed in video format, with each course comprising of approximately 40 or more one-hour lectures. In the next phase other premier institutions are also likely to participate in content creation.

Five major engineering disciplines have been covered in this project so far (NPTEL Phase I) at the undergraduate (B.E./B.Tech) level.
Civil Engineering
Computer Science and Engineering
Electrical Engineering
Electronics and Communication Engineering
Mechanical Engineering
In addition, a number of core curriculum courses common to all engineering programmes such as mathematics, physics, chemistry, management, electronics, language etc. have also been included.

Students and teachers of Information Technology and Computer Applications will also find a number of courses from the above that are useful for their studies or for supplementing their lectures.

The project in its first phase (2003-2007) has been fully supported by a grant from the Ministry of Human Resource Development. For more details on the background to NPTEL, how and why it is important for all, please click the link "NPTEL Document" in the menu bar.

NPTEL LIST OF COURSES
*nptel.iitm.ac.in/courselists/NPTEL List of Courses - Phase I.pdf

YOUTUBE VIDEO LINK
*youtube.com/iit

But there are few hinderances as well with NPTEL
i have listed out them as in following quotes.

1) Each video is approximately 1 Hr long. So, its quite an achievement
for user with average internet connection to access it.

2) For students,the content are available for sale by NPTEL for a
price of Rs 500 for a course. A single course includes approximately
40 video lectures. So, the actual cost of each course including DVDs
and mailing need not be more that Rs 150. A single subject like mine
may consist of over 15 such courses, hence by the student pricing, it
will cost over Rs 7000 for all the videos.The price is too high for a
student to pay.

4) The NPTEL insists on IPR of its property. It doesn't allow
redistribution or sharing of its videos.

5) In case of a College being the customer, the Price may go as high
as 1 to 15 lakhs.

I found the courses quite helpful and of good quality. They are free, and ready reference for engineering students.
i hope the fellow members will find it helpful.
We have an orkut community to discuss the same.
*www.orkut.co.in/Main#Community.aspx?cmm=54089634
However, this will be the appropriate place to continue the discussions and clear the doubts regarding NPTEL.

OP
INS-ANI

INS-ANI

In the zone
Very useful.

Whats in that NPTL Summary doc? Its 178 MB big.

Thanks.
Are u sure, its written 1.78 MB there.
Its just 60-70 pages of PDF file, cant be so high. may be u misread the number and didnt download it.

@chess
thanks for the stanford link. I have already downloaded few videos from stanford stable in youtube.
but still, i feel like its more suited for selective topics. I especially liked the robotics section of stanford, its much better and organized as compared to NPTEL.

But form my experience, the advantage of NPTEL is that its course structure is based on indian education system. So if somehow you get hold of these videos, you can use it as ready-to-use study material.
They can easily replace our boring teachers.

If one developes a little level of interest, your understanding will improve more efficiently as compared to college lectures and books.
As what we read is easy to forget, what we see andlisten is what we remember.

I was so addicted to these videos, that in last 1 week, i have downloaded over 10 gb of videos in flv format(from youtube), and still doing.

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
Are u sure, its written 1.78 MB there.
Its just 60-70 pages of PDF file, cant be so high. may be u misread the number and didnt download it.

ahh yes.. its not displaying correctly in Ubuntu Firefox. The dot is attached to '1'.
Thanks

OP
INS-ANI

INS-ANI

In the zone
even my OS crashed while trying to open it on chrome.
anyway, i have attached the pdf content in doc format, as i cant attach the PDF file of this size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom