Now THIS is a Vista-capable machine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocket357

Security freak
Heh, this isn't a slam...but boy would this be nice to have!

*www.hiptechblog.com/2007/06/10/ever-wondered-what-128gb-of-ram-looks-like/

For those that aren't into clicking on links, this machine is an 8 processor AMD Opteron dual core system (16 cores total) with 128 GB of RAM. Pics included.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
:sigh: Have to start saving money :( ..... ho BTW Rocket thanks for the link

OP
rocket357

rocket357

Security freak
charangk said:
:sigh: Have to start saving money :( ..... ho BTW Rocket thanks for the link

I can't imagine that being non-ECC memory, and I can't begin to imagine how much the rig cost...sigh.

A friend of mine recently purchased and built a similar system, though his was only 4xdual core and 32 GB RAM. He uses it for backups for the company he's the IT director of. Not a bad system when you think about the SCSI RAID they installed for it! I was expressing my amazement at his new backup solution when he linked that page to me...just thought I'd share.

iamtheone

Journeyman
ye athat was the question propping up in my mind as soon as i saw this thread...wth are they gonna do with this thing??keep records of all the turtles in the world??

OP
rocket357

rocket357

Security freak
news link said:
built by Xenon Systems for the Monash Cluster Computing group.

My guess is some kind of Geosciences research, given that the Monash Cluster Computing group is a group of computer scientists that assist Monash University with clustering software/hardware, and the Monash site seemed to be keen on their Geoscience department.

Just a guess =)

OP
rocket357

rocket357

Security freak
goobimama said:
128GB....what's the point? At least for now, there's no use for it...

Read my previous post...There are hundreds of scientific calculations that could EASILY use 128 GB RAM...just look at SETI and imagine how much RAM is being used globally there =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom