Notebook Puzzle...! Please advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

rixone

Right off the assembly line
Hi,

I am looking for a new Notebook and these are the two options:

Option 1:
1. Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5600 (1.83 GHz, 2MB Cache, 667 MHz FSB).
2. 1 GB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM.

Option 2:
1. Intel Core Duo Processor T2350 (1.86 GHz, 2MB Cache, 533 MHz FSB).
2. 2GB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM.

Common features of both the above options:
1. 80 GB HDD.
2. Windows Vista Home Premium (with Aero).
3. Intel Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 224 MB shared system memory.
4. 8X DVD+/-RW Combination Drive.

I will be using the notebook for surfing the web, checking mails, word processing, presentations and sometimes for making CAD drawings. The CAD applications which I will be using won't be heavy on system resources.

Will the Option 1 be able to run Aero graphics without any problems? Which is the better option considering that I will be using the same notebook for the next 1-2 years?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Rixone.

well 1gb will be able to handle the aero graphics without a problem, but then if you are a heavy multitasker then i suggest u get 2gbs of ram....

also wat company notebook u buying??? dell???

cynosure

UbuntuUser
Go for option 1 but wid 2GB of RAM.
The speed of RAM wont matter as far as CAD is concerned (AFAIT), size will play a major role.
Since the option 2 is C2D, it will be future proof as it has 64bit architecture, but speed can be a bottleneck in the future (Only 1.8GHz) if you refrain from your above written activities.

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
Dude there is a laptop from HP,i don't know the model no. but its heck of a steal.Its cooked with C2 Duo & 2gis of ram & Go7400.
And another is what my boss is owing is a HP AMD turionX2,1 GB ram & 6150 onboard with 360 degree rotating & touch screen with a size of 12" screen.
The Turion thing look damm sexy!!

OP
R

rixone

@ primitive_trash

I normally have 4 applications (Outlook, Word, Excel & Opera) open. Plus some applications like NOD32 are always working in the background. NOD of course is very light on the resources.

Yes the make is Dell.

@ cynosure

Sadly my budget does not allow me to go for Option 1 with 2 GB Ram. I can however go for the upgrade after 6-12 months.

Option 1 is C2D (not option 2) and you are right, it is based on 64 bit architecture.

@ keith_j_snyder2

Let me know the model of that HP notebook. And also the pricing as well. The 2 options from Dell cost less than Rs. 55k. Plus I have been using a Dell notebook since last 4 years and there is not a single reason which can convince me that I should not go for Dell again.

rixone said:
@ primitive_trash

I normally have 4 applications (Outlook, Word, Excel & Opera) open. Plus some applications like NOD32 are always working in the background. NOD of course is very light on the resources.

Yes the make is Dell.

@ cynosure

Sadly my budget does not allow me to go for Option 1 with 2 GB Ram. I can however go for the upgrade after 6-12 months.

Option 1 is C2D (not option 2) and you are right, it is based on 64 bit architecture.

@ keith_j_snyder2

Let me know the model of that HP notebook. And also the pricing as well. The 2 options from Dell cost less than Rs. 55k. Plus I have been using a Dell notebook since last 4 years and there is not a single reason which can convince me that I should not go for Dell again.

well i think you should go for option 1, and upgrade to 2GB ram later on if you need to, as it is dell charges a lot around 10k for the upgrade from 1 to 2 gb. so getting a c2d is a better option..

u can upgrade ur ram later on if u need it at a much lower cost.

OP
R

rixone

I have done a little more research and as per the info given in this link *technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/aa905075.aspx (read the last line), I have come to the conclusion that Option 1 is better.

In the worst scenario, I might have to switch off the Aero feature but I don't think there will be any need to do so. And the option to upgrade the RAM later is always there.

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
rixone said:
@ keith_j_snyder2

Well the Turion X2 is for 62,000/- inc. tax. & the C2Duo with Go 7400 is more than that

rixone said:
@ keith_j_snyder2

Well the Turion X2 is for 62,000/- inc. tax. & the C2Duo with Go 7400 is more than that & also i m not telling u that go for HP or any other brand but not DELL,its your choice that whatever u buy.If u need this turion config in DELL it won't cost u less than 70K.

Last edited:

premsharma

In the zone
Option 1 can not be said better due to Intel Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 224 MB shared system memory.

Intel GMA are not good. Instead you can go for AMD Turion based lappy from HP & Compaq with ATI or Nvidia onboard graphics which are far superior than Intel GMA and these lappy will be cheater by say 8-10K as compared to thier intel counterparts.

Compaq 6000 series model at 42k and add some more RAM. It is with Vista & AMD Turion X2 and Nvidia 6150 onboard. This configuration would be very OK for you. If you have money in abundance, then you can buy from HP a intel based config with C2D & GMA 950 @ 65000+ but in performance it will be almost at par processor wise & worse graphics wise with the one based on AMD which you buy at 42000+

Last edited:
OP
R

rixone

Well I had never thought about AMD Turion X2. I have configured a Dell notebook based on the Turion X2 and here are the specs:

Option 3:

1. AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual Core TL-50 Processor. (1.6 GHz, 256KB+256KB L2 Cache).
2. 2 GB, 533 MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM.
3. ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 256MB HyperMemory (integrated).

The rest of the specs are same as the other two options.

Price:
Option 1: Rs. 54,600.00
Option 2: Rs. 53,000.00
Option 3: Rs. 52,000.00

My max budget is 55k.

I am also looking for more options (based on Turion X2) in HP/Compaq.

In the meanwhile let me know your opinion about the above option.

premsharma said:
Option 1 can not be said better due to Intel Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 224 MB shared system memory.

Intel GMA are not good. Instead you can go for AMD Turion based lappy from HP & Compaq with ATI or Nvidia onboard graphics which are far superior than Intel GMA and these lappy will be cheater by say 8-10K as compared to thier intel counterparts.

Compaq 6000 series model at 42k and add some more RAM. It is with Vista & AMD Turion X2 and Nvidia 6150 onboard. This configuration would be very OK for you. If you have money in abundance, then you can buy from HP a intel based config with C2D & GMA 950 @ 65000+ but in performance it will be almost at par processor wise & worse graphics wise with the one based on AMD which you buy at 42000+

well they may be better but then performance wise c2d ie the 1st option is the best. and as he said he doesnot need any graphic instence applications so i think you should go with the first option only. rest is upto you.

premsharma

In the zone
Performance lead of few seconds say in encoding [10 seconds] of C2D do not entail its cost to be more by few thousands. Its overprice, take that slight performance edge away. Moreover there is huge difference in between Intel GMA 950 and NVidia 6150 or ATI X300, 1150 & 1250 etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom