Not on a LAN!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hearthacker

Journeyman
Hi there....recently i came across a very weird problem...I use SIFY broadband and want to be on the network LAN...but no matter how many times i "setup my computer for a home or small office network", i cant see no workgroups..no lan computers..even my own computer is not shows under MSHOME....i tried the same with a laptop connected to my computer thru a lan cable..but same results...please tell me how to correct thi problem.

I use Windows XP with service pack 1

thankyou
hearthacker

Mahesh Babu

Journeyman
First get Service Pack2
THen
Right click on Local Area connection-->Properties-->Internet Protocal(tcp/ip) properties-->click on advanced-->WINS-->enable NetBIOS over TCP/Ip-->ok-->restart

vivek283

Right off the assembly line
Sify

You will not see workgroup/domain computers over the Sify LAN. They have good security.

To connect your Laptop to your computer directly you need a Crossed Crimped Wire. The straight crimped wire will not work.

theraven

Technomancer
mahesh babu
plz for gods sake dun post when u have no idea what ur talkin abt
@hearthacker only if sify has enabled u to see the intranet will u be able to see it
else u wont

OP
H

hearthacker

Journeyman
ok..heres another one...

ok..yesterday i went to my friends place and tried to connect his laptop (windows XP) to his desktop (windows XP)..so i connected the lan cable...and then i clicked "setup a home or small office network" on the dektop and i selected the option which says "This computer connects to the internet thru another comp..."and i finished the wizard...i did the same on his laptop...after this i changed the IP of his desktop to 192.168.0.1 and Mask was 255.255.255.0 leaving the gateway, prefered / alternated DNS server blank...and i chnaged his laptop's IP to 192.168.0.2 (leaving the rest of the setting same as above)...then both of the computers were being shown on the network...but neither of them cud be accessed...i mean we cud not access the laptop fro the desktop and vice versa..

can anyone solve this...

hearthacker

D

Deleted member 5901

Re: ok..heres another one...

hearthacker said:
ok..yesterday i went to my friends place and tried to connect his laptop (windows XP) to his desktop (windows XP)..so i connected the lan cable...and then i clicked "setup a home or small office network" on the dektop and i selected the option which says "This computer connects to the internet thru another comp..."and i finished the wizard...i did the same on his laptop...after this i changed the IP of his desktop to 192.168.0.1 and Mask was 255.255.255.0 leaving the gateway, prefered / alternated DNS server blank...and i chnaged his laptop's IP to 192.168.0.2 (leaving the rest of the setting same as above)...then both of the computers were being shown on the network...but neither of them cud be accessed...i mean we cud not access the laptop fro the desktop and vice versa..

can anyone solve this...

hearthacker

Calling the brainac guyz !!! SOS help wanted !!!

Cheers !!! :wink: :!:

digen

Youngling
Did you share any resources like files,folders?
Disable any firewalls if present on both.Also make sure the wndows firewall is turned off.

What error message did you recieve when you try accessing the laptop from the desktop & vice versa?

OP
H

hearthacker

Journeyman
hmm...

yes...i shared folders on both the systems...and a shutdown all the firewalls present...the error message was something about ACCESS DENIED...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom