coolbuddyv

Right off the assembly line
Hello friends i shall be very thankful for your guidance..
So here it goes..

I want to buy a Nokia N8 (i understand that its symbian and how its different from android but i don't need android, i will buy one only in case i don't buy an N8)

So here's the issue i have with buying an N8..
I guess you all are aware of N8's purple screen problem..

So are you people aware if that problem has been solved..
have new N8's with proper screens started arriving in the market..
has anyone bought an N8 lately (may/june/july manufacture date)..
are these models free from those screen blues (pun intended)..

that purple screen problem is very scary..

kindly guide..

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
IMO, you should wait a few more months for Nokia's WP7 devices. Symbian platform is dead in the water...

riders4siam

Broken In
well, i was just planning to go for N8 but i prefer Sony Ericsson XPERIA ARC within this month. you know symbians? they are a crap this days.

Sarath

iDota
IMO, you should wait a few more months for Nokia's WP7 devices. Symbian platform is dead in the water...

Google mascot in the DP :p Unsurprising

If you are comfortable with symbian then get the N8. But before that do check out other OSes. Since you are paying up 20k it would be unwise to not try all the other OSes.

this year has been a ride for me. I have used Symbain (C7), BB OS5 Blackberry 9870, then went on to use Android 2.3 (siggy) and finally my bro's iphone 4. Each have their strong points. So make sure you check them out. As things stand none is better than the other.

Also just so you know, no further symbian version will be coming out but the existing OS will be supported till its life; it has been outsourced to "Accenture". So don't worry about support. Plus they have the best maps with navigation, have better battery life and have more or less the same features as the others.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
@coolbuddyv, I think this problem is solvable because one of my colleagues got his N8 repaired (or replaced, I am not sure) from Nokia Care. It is a great device and you should totally go for it if you think Android is not for you. Just ignore all the fanboys :p

OP
C

coolbuddyv

Google mascot in the DP :p Unsurprising

If you are comfortable with symbian then get the N8. But before that do check out other OSes. Since you are paying up 20k it would be unwise to not try all the other OSes.

this year has been a ride for me. I have used Symbain (C7), BB OS5 Blackberry 9870, then went on to use Android 2.3 (siggy) and finally my bro's iphone 4. Each have their strong points. So make sure you check them out. As things stand none is better than the other.

Also just so you know, no further symbian version will be coming out but the existing OS will be supported till its life; it has been outsourced to "Accenture". So don't worry about support. Plus they have the best maps with navigation, have better battery life and have more or less the same features as the others.

hi sarath
thanks a lot for the informative reply..
i totally agree with you that one needs to juxtapose one's needs against whats on offer..
and i bliv i've done that..
i need a photography solution on the go..that y n8..
otherwise an SE ARC..i'm kind of OS agnostic (only if they aren't very bad)

so if someone cud just help me with that 20+ K purple screen problem..

do u have more info on it bro..

OP
C

coolbuddyv

@coolbuddyv, I think this problem is solvable because one of my colleagues got his N8 repaired (or replaced, I am not sure) from Nokia Care. It is a great device and you should totally go for it if you think Android is not for you. Just ignore all the fanboys :p

thanx for the info gagan..
but ive heard that people have gone through multiple repair sessions with their N8 only to discover that the problem hasn't yet disappeared..

btw when did he buy his..
this problem exists since Dec 2010..
it has been heard in as late as late june purchases..
its been almost an year..i hope nokia brings out newer nates without this problem..can just hope...

GERMZ

Banned
Its a software issue. Been fixed in the leaked Anna update files. As for now, i use a tweak on the N8 to solve the issue. Plus its barely noticeable..

OP
C

coolbuddyv

come'on people..
nokia is such a popular brand in india..
many people even trust it blindly..

hasn't anyone bought a nokia N8 recently..
please people i need your guidance...

riders4siam

Broken In
yeah right, people blindly trust nokia but now adays NOKIA manufactured phones are of low quality board, so the first problem start with the PCB and so on. If you really trust on this NOKIA phone, it's your choice.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
come'on people..
nokia is such a popular brand in india..
many people even trust it blindly..

hasn't anyone bought a nokia N8 recently..
please people i need your guidance...

The sales of N8 has declined a lot, thanks to devices like Defy,SGS:L, D:S. Nokia might soon pull the plug on N8 to make way for X7 and N9.

If you want the best Nokia device, my suggestion is to wait for N9. Go for X7 if you are okay with EDoF camera.

among the droids, check Desire S.

OP
C

coolbuddyv

Thanks for all the inputs friends..
wud let you know very soon..wt i'll be going for...

regards...
VJS

suyash_123

Techno Freak
Hey i personally own N8 and I m happy with all the things H/W as well as S/w both.
if you want a phone which do all operations like ur desktop PC and can also be connected to A big screen ... go For it....

i fell great abt
camera , HDMi as well as Tv out,small sceen (battery saving), good music player,

about that purple screen issue , it is over and buy a Phone which has mfd in recent month after may/ june or so....

i say u wait as new n8 coming with Symbian anna (updated Symbian)!!!

few small things i fell good About Symbian OS is

1. In messaging we can create folders and arrange message where as in other Os we cannot ( all sms in inbox, no way to sort)

And also we can create folder In Menu in any level at any where....

2. I can see the incoming and outgoing speed of GPRS and Wifi in Connection setting at any time... and can also check the in / out data. (in Other os we need a 3rd party software for that)

3. Almost all the Imp apps in other Os app markets are available in OVI market , dot just go by Number of apps in app store ,, there a few number of useless app(100's fart apps lolz :) )

4. Every now and then other Os phone is changing version and is not possible to change handset again and again as new other Os phones are too expensive.

5. most of other Os phone has low memory issue as apps consume lots of app and don't release memory and has to use app stop application to do so...

6. battery life is poor as phones have big scenes and GHz and dual core processors (also animated screensavers / wallpapers).(may be having Nvdia or Ati graphics cards in that too :p lols)

7. I want a phone fitting in Pockets so screen size should be upto 4'' is max to max , or get a tablet man!

finally it depend on ur requirement and Budget...

Last edited:

sygeek

Technomancer
Hey i personally own N8 and I m happy with all the things H/W as well as S/w both.
if you want a phone which do all operations like ur desktop PC and can also be connected to A big screen ... go For it....

i fell great abt
camera , HDMi as well as Tv out,small sceen (battery saving), good music player,

about that purple screen issue , it is over and buy a Phone which has mfd in recent month after may/ june or so....

i say u wait as new n8 coming with Symbian anna (updated Symbian)!!!

few small things i fell good abt Symbian os is

1. In messaging we can create folders and arrange message where as in andriod we cannot ( all sms in inbox, no way to sort)

2. I can see the incoming and outgoing speed of GPRS and Wifi in Connection setting at any time... and can also check the in / out data. (in andy we need a 3rd party software for that)

3. All most all the Imp apps in ios and andriod app markets are available in OVI market , dot just go by Number of apps in app store ,, there a few number of useless app(100's fart apps lolz :) )

4. every now and then androids is changing version and is not possible to change handset again and again as new andy phones are too expensive (galaxy S2)

5. most of andriod phone as low memory issue as apps consume lots of app and don't release memory and has to use app stop application to do so...

6. battery life is poor as phones have big scenes and GHz and dual core processors (also animated sceeernsavers / wallpapers).(may be having Nvdia or Ati graphics cards in that too :p lols)

7. I want a phone fitting in Pockets so screen size sould be upto 4'' is max to max , or get a tablet man!

If any andriod Fan boys is angry by this post, please conform above statement practically and reply , i check this on many mobile and then only commented here
All of the points marked as bold are misconceptions. If you are such a fanboy, don't refer to "This phone is great because tat phone suckzz".

Refer to "This phone is better because it has this this and this feature which will help me in this this and this".

suyash_123

Techno Freak
@sygeek : you are banned Why???

Let it Be... i m changing some points above ok!

sorry buddy if Ur a andriod Fan boy!!! not wanted to hurt u....

Last edited:

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
@Suyash

What kind of phone do you currently use? Have you ever compared a 20k Android phone and a 20k Nokia Symbian phone side by side? Do you even know what you are talking about?

1. In messaging we can create folders and arrange message where as in other Os we cannot ( all sms in inbox, no way to sort)

Dude, you are smoking something very good because you are totally high... There are a multitude of SMS apps for Android platform. Use Go SMS Pro to create custom folders to sort your messages.

Also, Android allows you to create folders on any one of your homescreens. There is no need to even get into the menu...

2. I can see the incoming and outgoing speed of GPRS and Wifi in Connection setting at any time... and can also check the in / out data. (in Other os we need a 3rd party software for that)

Whats so bad about using 3rd party apps? Do you use 3rd party apps on your PC? Or do you only use software which comes default with your OS?

These are smartphones we are talking about. Installing and using apps is the general idea for a smartphone...

3. Almost all the Imp apps in other Os app markets are available in OVI market , dot just go by Number of apps in app store ,, there a few number of useless app(100's fart apps lolz :) )

Nokia is abandoning its OVI store for Microsoft WP7 store... If it really was any good, Nokia wouldn't let it go...

There are very few good quality apps in the OVI store... All the fault of Nokia's Symbian OS. Hopefully, things will change with WP7...

4. Every now and then other Os phone is changing version and is not possible to change handset again and again as new other Os phones are too expensive.

Total bull... How old are you? Nine?

5. most of other Os phone has low memory issue as apps consume lots of app and don't release memory and has to use app stop application to do so...

Nope... Android and iOS have excellent memory management. There is no need for task killers...

6. battery life is poor as phones have big scenes and GHz and dual core processors (also animated screensavers / wallpapers).(may be having Nvdia or Ati graphics cards in that too :p lols)

Yes... raw power... Thats the way I like my phone... and the battery is awesome too...

Don't just spout stuff you have heard... Use it firsthand to know if any of it is true...

Android phones have an average of 550,000 activations per day... Thats the speed at which these smartphones are selling... How many smartphones does Nokia sell everyday?

Source: Android reaches 130 million devices, growing by 550,000 a day | This is my next...

suyash_123

Techno Freak
Really Android Fans are very hard core fans !!!! hmm good
Hats off U fans!! keep it up!!!

i write it off as it was nokia related thread but it's full of android guys !!!

let it be , @coolbuddyv : please try both phones and Decide what u want!!!
(hope u will buy a Android phone by seeing above explanation, good Luck!!!)

Top Bottom