Nokia drops Ovi brand in favour of ‘Nokia’

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
the top level at nokia seems really confused.. they ovi branding has been a disaster .. and just added to the confusion... it's a good decision that they're back to nokia instead of ovi, but they should have never done the ovi branding at all,IMO

now what they have to do next is get rid of symbian and release WP7 phones , asap.... otherwise the downward spirals gonna continue...

The Ovi name has appeared on a range of the Finnish phone firm's services, including its Maps apps and its app store, but dropping it might only cause as much confusion as its inception. Nokia might be a Finnish company, but that does not mean that the rest of the world needs to know the Finnish language term for 'door store'.

"Starting with first services on some of the new Nokia devices in July and August, Ovi services will be rebranded as Nokia services in a transition expected to continue into 2012," said the company in a blog post. "Each of the services under the Ovi umbrella will simply be rebranded as Nokia, with no planned disruption to the service roadmaps." Phew.

According to Nokia's chief marketing officer Jerri DeVard, the change is intended to unify the Nokia brand.

"We have made the decision to change our service branding from Ovi to Nokia. By centralizing our services identity under one brand, not two, we will reinforce the powerful master brand of Nokia and unify our brand architecture while continuing to deliver compelling opportunities and experiences for partners and consumers alike."

Suggestions that the name change came from Redmond executives confused by the word and its relation to the company are possibly unfounded.

"The reasons for this decision includes the fact that Nokia is a well-known and highly-loved brand the world over," explained DeVard. "Our mobile experiences are tightly integrated with our devices - there is no longer a differentiation. For example, if consumers want the best mobile navigation experience, they know it's a Nokia that they can rely on."

Nokia drops ovi brand in favour of ‘nokia’- The Inquirer

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
now what they have to do next is get rid of symbian and release WP7 phones , asap.... otherwise the downward spirals gonna continue...
The downward spiral has long begun and will continue to do so. And yeah I'll enjoy it as well. They treated the Qt, MeeGo and Symbian community with crap, time for customers to show them their backs.

sygeek

Technomancer
Nokia's really gone down the line with Ovi app store and Symbian OS. And now they've finally decided to work on WP7 OS, I don't know what the hell is wrong with them. Why not just continue developing MeeGo OS..I guess that would be a respectful stance.

They wont be dead . Just like BB .

They will own a certain market share but wont be anywhere close to HTC , Samsung or Even LG if things go like they are going .

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Actually Nokia don't have a Niche like Blackberry. They were always a mainstream mobile company.
Even if WP7 succeeds, Nokia won't be an only vendor of the MS OS, as they don't own exclusivity to it.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Ovi was a big mistake. Most people using Nokia phones, even higher end ones, never knew what ovi is. Many of the features available in ovi were hence not used, like phone sync, etc. Does anyone know what prompted them to start the Ovi brand in the first place?

Rahim

Married!
When i went to download pc suite, it had ovi as well as nokia pc suite listed, which confused me.
Nokia has announced a new Symbian^3 named Anna but it seems it wont be available for existing phones.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Report: Microsoft to Buy Nokia Mobile Division

BOOMCHIKAWAWA!!

Mobile Division? What remains of Nokia if their Mobile Division is sold? Rubber boot and tyres? :lol:
Weird if this take place, wouldn't this be directly competing with their own OEMs like HTC?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Not good. I liked Ovi branding. At this rate, they might soon announce the news "Microsoft drops Nokia brand in favour of Microsoft" :D

Report: Microsoft to Buy Nokia Mobile Division

BOOMCHIKAWAWA!!

should definitely be a rumour

also, do note that Microsoft need to use 25% or more of their cash reserves to buy out Nokia mobile division, which is something that MS won't do.

Top Bottom