Nokia Branding Removed from windows phones by MicroSoft

rish1

Cyborg Agent
This will probably not surprise many, but it looks like Microsoft is seriously planning on 'sunsetting' the Nokia brand.
The software giant has so far continued to use the Nokia name for phones, most recently with the Lumia 830 and Lumia 730 that were officially unveiled last week. However, a new rumor claims these two will be the last handsets to come with the Nokia brand on them.

As the image above shows (which is purportedly part of a leaked internal document from Microsoft), starting with this year's "Holiday campaign" the Nokia brand will be gone from Microsoft Mobile's devices. The same won't happen with the Lumia brand, which will live on.
Interestingly, back in July a Lumia 830 render was leaked sporting "Nokia by Microsoft" branding on the back, but the actual smartphone is just called Nokia. Perhaps this was to be a transition strategy that Microsoft subsequently dropped for whatever reason. So expect the next phones to come out of Microsoft Mobile to be called either just Lumia something, or Microsoft Lumia.
The company also has similar plans for the Windows Phone name. In this case, though, there will be a more gradual transition, during which the "Phone" in Windows Phone will fade away - until eventually it won't be there anymore. So Microsoft's mobile OS will be called Windows, just like its desktop OS. Since the two still aren't the same thing, this could of course confuse many people.
Microsoft is slowly integrating Windows Phone with desktop Windows (or so it's been saying for a few years now), so at some point the unified brand will make sense. Hopefully the timing will be right, as apparently there will be no "Windows Phone 9" release. It will exist, of course, but sans "Phone" in its name, as you might have guessed.

Nokia brand gone soon, the "Phone" in Windows Phone too - GSMArena.com news

Lol as expected ... anybody still thinks windows phone has a chance ? :lol:

$hadow

Geek in making
They are loosing their position currently very badly. Poor specs for mid to low budget phones and high cost of flagship. They need to rethink on all this.

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Time and again, it has been proven that Microsoft has the knack of digging its own grave and wallowing in it :D

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Probably was in the terms and conditions of the deal they signed. Something like "can only use the Nokia brand name for current generation devices and those in development, but not after that" or something like that. We're just not privy to all information.

As for the dropping of phone from the name, I think it might help.

Just "Windows 9" - on PC or phone or tablet, it's all Windows - makes sense, if they integrate them seamlessly of course.

tkin

Back to school!!
Microsoft just wants to be apple, tightly coupled environment with full control over hardware and software implementation. Good luck to them.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Microsoft can't be Apple. If it tries to, that will truly dig their own grave.
I for one, would never buy a "Windows phone". Specially when there's no Nokia in it. Lol.

I got my dad a Lumia 520 only because of Nokia branding. WP OS sucked worse than what it is now back then. So, amen to "good luck to them" remark.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
If Apple had done that, quite normal. But I didn't expect this from MS. At least think about your own damn business if you have no care for the brand Nokia.

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent
oh looks like most people aren't aware..

this was the deal

Nokia is still an independent company that has here maps , and NSN tower business. Microsoft bought phone division from Nokia.. Most of the Patents are still owned by Nokia .. Microsoft bought some patents in respect of lumia phones

Microsoft Bought "Lumia" and "Asha" Brands from Nokia

Microsoft Did not buy or licenced "Nokia" Brand from Nokia in respect of smartphones .. they licenced "Nokia" branding for 10 years in respect of feature phones...
they can only use Nokia branding in respect of feature phones like Nokia 105 etc.. so they can't use Nokia brand for smartphones.. only they can use it on phones in development under nokia ( like lumia 830,730 )not the new phones that will be developed under Microsoft

Now the remaining "Nokia" is restricted to Produce phones until 1st jan 2016

Nokia can if it wishes to , Buy any other manufacturing company and start producing phones again in 2016 ... which most likely should happen :D

i and many others hope a High End Android from Nokia will be unveiled at MWC 2016 :D

Top Bottom