No System32 directory in my Windows Folder ..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aag692k

Broken In
first of all Thank you mods for making this a sticky

even tho this has been discussed before, i had the same problem about 6 monts back and searched similar threads more things are now available now IMHO.

Now for my question

OOOOOPS
THERE IS NO SYSTEM32 DIRECTORY IN MY WINDOWS FOLDER

WHERE DO I MAKE THE CHANGES??? :?

aag

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
There must be one System32 directory .. What operating system are you using ..? and which drive is it installed in ..?
I have seen occasions where System32 directory is hidden (yupp at Neowin and nobody can understand why is it so) so maybe thats the problem ..

You can try running this :
Code:
Start > Run > %systemroot%\system32 <Press Enter>

with all those % and \ signs .. Your system32 folder should open ..

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
It should be 100 % HIDDEN...
I think there is an option for it in Tools -> Folder Options, like Hide System Files & Directories.
May be this option is checked?

first of all Thank you mods for making this a sticky
?????????

OP
A

aag692k

Broken In
hi
sorry should have mentioned these basic things before,
all my hidden files and folders are set to be viewed, i can see other hidden files and folders!!

second
am using winxp prof sp2 os installed in drive C:

Third for the past few months Whenever i try to run any command from the START - RUN

THE WINDOW JUST APPEARS AND DISAPPEARS.
i was told to reformat my c drive and reload windows which i did with great difficulty but after a few days the problem restarted

This hold good for all commands like
cmd, ping, regedit etc

any solutions
Is it a VIRUS, if so whats the solution

Help is most welcome!!

By the way am now playing these old dos games using the dosbox !! works 100%

Thanks for that

aag is fire

OP
A

aag692k

Broken In
hi
sorry should have mentioned these basic things before,
all my hidden files and folders are set to be viewed, i can see other hidden files and folders!!

second
am using winxp prof sp2 os installed in drive C:

Third for the past few months Whenever i try to run any command from the START - RUN

THE WINDOW JUST APPEARS AND DISAPPEARS.
i was told to reformat my c drive and reload windows which i did with great difficulty but after a few days the problem restarted

This hold good for all commands like
cmd, ping, regedit etc

any solutions
Is it a VIRUS, if so whats the solution

Help is most welcome!!

By the way am now playing these old dos games using the dosbox !! works 100%

Thanks for that

aag is fire

legolas

Padawan
in windows xp, there is yet another option i guess, in tools -> folder options -> (below the "show/hide radio box" as follows,

"hide protected system and operating files" may be u cud uncheck it and try it out?? ny hopes?

if u think its a virus, go for an online check using bit defender or pc cillin, that shud solve ur problem, also run a spyware test.. better u post urr "hijack this" file so that some1 cud help u out.

/legolas

legolas said:
in windows xp, there is yet another option i guess, in tools -> folder options -> (below the "show/hide radio box" as follows,

"hide protected system and operating files" may be u cud uncheck it and try it out?? ny hopes?

Normally System32 is not protected. But in one case I found Spyware had done this to a WinXP PC. aag692k - you definitely need to check you system for baddies using HijackThis.

anandk

Distinguished Member
whoa, i really find this hard to believe. winxp with no system32..a body withot a heart ! as mentioned above, posting ur hijackthis file here could help.

C

cybermanas

In Windows XP after i used autopatcher the system32 folder got hidden.To reolve this go to :

My Computer.Then on the toolbar above click
Tools--->Folder Options---->View .There uncheck "Hide Protected System Files".

Now the system32 folder will be visible.

OP
A

aag692k

Broken In
Dear friends
sorry to have stirred an hornets nest but as I mentioned in my second post
I have set hidden files and sys files folders to be seen

I HAVE RECHECKED IT
still not visible in windows directory

kya karoon my os has no heart

by the way
"Start > Run > %systemroot%\system32 <Press Enter>"

worked and opened my folder but changes to autoexec.nt and config nt have still not helped

am still checking the 16 bit... thread every night

thanks

by the way what is hijackthis
how do i get it or useit or kick it ??

aag

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Thats best I can do with Mspaint ..

HijackThis is an assesment tool used for reporting system config .. You should post a HijackThis logfile I believe ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom