No sound in Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbledore

Journeyman
Hi guys... it's been a long time.... had to study for 12th std...

Anyways, here's my problem..

I have a Creative PCI sound card, in addition to the onboard sound card. I have Mandrake 10.1 installed from a DIGIT DVD. Linux detects the onboard card as SiS <some brand name> and my Creative card as Ensonique. I don't know what driver to choose and the default driver doesn't work. I had sound coming before, but I reinstalled Linux and now, I don't know what driver I used last time. Please help.....

P.S. Don't flame me for posting this in the wrong subforum, just tell me. I have been out of touch and I had to google to find this website.

praka123

left this forum longback
this is the right section! :p
first disable ur onboard soundcard in BIOS.then try.mostly ur card will be enabled.else open a terminal as root user.try 'alsaconf' command.
terminal as root user:
in terminal(in kde,konsole),type after "$" prompt,
Code:
~$ /usr/sbin/alsaconf
^^ it will detect ur card and enable it.use kmix(in sound/multimedia menu) to adjust sound volume and properties.
if somehow alsaconf command is not available,download from mandriva website and install.I hope u already have ur internet configured on ur Linux Mandriva.

OP
D

Dumbledore

Journeyman
Thanks for your answer praka123. I'll try it and get back to you.

mediator, you talk about external amplifier and switches. I don't understand what you mean by them. Please explain.

mediator

Technomancer
1. Go to volume applet in gnome, double click it
2. Go to tab "switches" > "external amplifier"
3. check it!

OP
D

Dumbledore

Journeyman
Yes, I do have internet. But I tried alsaconf, but to no effect. Do I have to restart? I remember changing the default driver last time.

Thanks Praka123. Your solution really worked. Now I can shift completely to Linux. THANK YOU!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom