No software installs No OS installs!!! Help

Asmeet

Broken In
Hey all I bought my system 3 years ago it has a P4 3 GHz processor, 2 gb ram 1tb hdd. A few months ago i started experiencing a problem that any software that was bigger than 50mb in size won't install. It showed some or the other file of the setup is corrupted(every time it showed a different file was corrupted for the same setup) I thought it would be a virus problem so I formatted my system with windows xp sp2. but the problem remained.I thought i should go for linux instead of windows.I tired doing that but I could also not install linux on my system it showed some error in Cd/DVD or the hdd while installing. So i bought a new hdd but still the problem exists.The problem also exists for Vista. I am not able to install that too.So I also replaced my DVD drive hoping it had the fault but the same problem exists. I even tired formatting my system by USB but no linux (Ubuntu,Mint or Ferdora) would install and all would give the same error. I have downloaded different copies of software & OS but nothing works.

The software DVD's would work on my frnds system but don't on mine. I am only able to install small software like Chrome,Winrar,DivX etc. Other software like Microsoft Office 2007,Adobe Photoshop CS4,CS3,Dreamweaver CS4,CS3,Need for Speed Most wanted,VMware,CounterStrike etc every time show some or the other file is corrupted. The same copies work on my frnds computers but won't on mine
What is the problem with my system. Is it a hardware problem or a software problem. What should I do

OP
A

Asmeet

Broken In
I bought a whole new 500 gb hdd just for that reason formatted it without even inserting the old hdd downloaded the softwares from internet tried installing it but the same prob existed !!!!
any more ideas

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
whats our partition table like? could it because your c drive is too small (not enough space for temp files) ?

OP
A

Asmeet

Broken In
hmm well I doubt that bcuz initially I had on the very same system a 160 gig hdd(30gig c drive) on which I had linux too(10gig ext3) n also I was in a habit to format my system very often both for linux and windows and there was no problem then. now I have 1tb hdd with about 160 gb c drive n problem still persists.
Even more the problem is the same if you try to install an OS in VMware........

OP
A

Asmeet

Broken In
hahaha
thnx fr dat solution bt I think u din't read my post properly U are saying to format the hdd I bought a whole new hdd for that reason only but no improvements.................
i know the problem is very unique that is why I am here asking
How to repair my system. I don't even know is it a fault of hardware or software. n if hardware which component to replace cuz I have already replaced hdd and DVD drive

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
Try checking the RAM sticks by inserting them one by one and testing. One of them might be faulty and may not be allowing you to write larger than 50MB programs in the memory.

OP
A

Asmeet

Broken In
initially I also thought exactly the same and tried this the very first day the problem came but nothing happened...
It can be that either there is no problem with the sticks or both of them have the same problem. :)
But then I had one more observation firstly I was not able to install CS 1.6 on my system, I downloaded like 3 different copies from the internet and they showed the same problem that I stated above but the last time I downloaded CS from the 4th source it actually installed without any problem but the thing exists with other software and operating systems

jsjs

Journeyman
Are you using pirated OS, you know they comen loaded with strange viruses, try installing linux from a cd and formatting the hard disk

OP
A

Asmeet

Broken In
hmm no I have original copy of vista and it was installing normally for 2 years on the same system but something happened in last few months.
I have tried all the discs I had for linux. I have used the same discs to install LINUX on the very same system over 20 times before also. I also tried using the bootable DVd that came with DIGIT. same error persists in them too.

OP
A

Asmeet

Broken In
Check your RAM on your friends system
I don't have such good frnds who will let me open their computer cabinate take out their rams and try my own on them....
@Amrut I have tried this thing like 1000 time and I also have stated this in all of my posts above and that is the actual problem windows won't install
plz someone help

vaibhav99

Broken In
may be i am wrong but u can give it try ...
i think you don't have problem with your hard drive, dvd or ram but might be with motherboard (it will be helpful if you let us know ur motherboard model) IDE/ SATA Connectors/ controllers which ever you are using. U can try ..disconnect all hard drives and dvd drives and try to boot thru usb - pendrive (if bios permits) into any Linux.. see if its works
Vaibhav

OP
A

Asmeet

Broken In
well I also have been working on this problem for long and have come to the same solution. I even took it to the vendor from whome I bought this thing and told him dat smthing may b wrong wid the mother board but the he say to me to buy a new onw which I don't want to do unless I am damn sure its the motherboard.
Never the less I am using Mercury Chipset PI945GZD. I am using 2 SATA hdd and 1 SATA dvd writer and 1 IDE dvd writer.
and vaibhav I can boot into linux (using the desktop cd) both via USB and CD/DVD and it works fine as live session but doesn't install and I want to tell one more thing that while installing it is able to make all the partitions but the problem comes when it starts copying the files and at around 30-40%(depending on the distro) the Error message comes and is same for all the distros no matter if I install fedora suse ubuntu or mint
and I get the same message while installing them as a virtual machine in my VMware

OP
A

Asmeet

Broken In
hmm i cant tell you the exact thing as i don't remember but it gives something like DC/DVD corrupt or the problem exits with the hard disk drive

Top Bottom