NO DISPLAY! Pls help...

warrior047

In the zone
Guys, my config is as below:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (Windsor) - Socket AM2 (940)
2 GB Transcend DDR2 Regular UDIMM - PC2-6400 (400 MHz) - (1 GB RAM X2)
Seagate 250 GB hard disk
Frontech 500W PSU bought in 2008 along with system

Everything was working fine till I had this below!

Current Mobo suspected to be bricked by BIOS -> M2N-VM DVI when I was trying to update my BIOS. So then started the problems.

So got the Mobo repaired with latest BIOS. Ever since I fixed the Mobo, am facing newer problems after some time!

Initially, system ran well. Suddenly, the system used to hang and nothing happens. Then when checked the graphics card (Nividia 8600GT), it was getting way heated and hence removed the same. System still worked for some time but in a very slow response!

Now comes the main issue...recently, turned on the PC. Everything seemed to be fine. After 5 min, the monitor went grey and blue lines that were horizontal and slant appeared. When I tried to restart, there is NO DISPLAY!

Waited for 3 days and then tested. Started then but again same issue! Now there is NO DISPLAY. Tried interchanging RAM slots but in vain.

Am confused. Would it be the Mobo or the PSU? If its PSU, how to check?

Pls help

pramudit

Gaming hardcore
try removing gfx card and take output from motherboard vga port....
your gfx card might not be compatible with your new bios.....

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Initially, system ran well. Suddenly, the system used to hang and nothing happens. Then when checked the graphics card (Nividia 8600GT), it was getting way heated and hence removed the same. System still worked for some time but in a very slow response!

From this part only it sounds like like you are facing PSU problem. ;)

OP
W

warrior047

In the zone
try removing gfx card and take output from motherboard vga port....
your gfx card might not be compatible with your new bios.....

Graphics card already removed :(. The guy who checked it said the motor is not working for it! Hence removed it and connected to default VGA on Mobo.

Still facing the issue - the system doesn't display anything.

My leymann doubt is that if its a PSU issue, why is the Mobo getting power? Pardon my ignorance!

Check with another SMPS. I think SMPS is not providing enough power.

Do you really think so? If so, i did be happy! But y is it that the system started once and as said, after some time, the system get hanged and the display was horizontal and slant lines...now the PC doesn't start at all!

The mobo gets power though....but no display! If I need to buy a PSU, which one would you guys suggest for me for the specified config?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
are you using the same bios version now as before you bricked the mobo?if not then install the same bios version(or the one that came in mobo driver cd instead of using latest one) & then try.also updating bios is a risky process so always read a lot before attempting anything(many people bricked their asus mobo/laptop when asus first launched a bios update utility to update from flash drives/hard drives because the utility worked correctly only with fat formatted drives & not ntfs).always use manufacturer utilities to update bios & unless it is extremely urgent do not update bios just for the sake of it as bios is not like drivers.

OP
W

warrior047

In the zone
are you using the same bios version now as before you bricked the mobo?if not then install the same bios version(or the one that came in mobo driver cd instead of using latest one) & then try.also updating bios is a risky process so always read a lot before attempting anything(many people bricked their asus mobo/laptop when asus first launched a bios update utility to update from flash drives/hard drives because the utility worked correctly only with fat formatted drives & not ntfs).always use manufacturer utilities to update bios & unless it is extremely urgent do not update bios just for the sake of it as bios is not like drivers.

Its a different version and latest one...can't revert back as ASUS doesn't allow that as the original BIOS model no was different which is the issue...as updated in my prev post, the system worked fine for some time as said...so please suggest

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Could be a gfx chip issue. Try your monitor in ur frnd's place. At least you'll be assured if its Monitor or not.

Then take the MOBO to shop.

Mr.V

Journeyman
First test if the monitor works at ur friends house.
If yes,then try another graphics card (borrow it).
If it still doesnt work,then try changing ur PSU .
This may help you out...

OP
W

warrior047

In the zone
Could be a gfx chip issue. Try your monitor in ur frnd's place. At least you'll be assured if its Monitor or not.

Then take the MOBO to shop.

I tried with another monitor already....already removed the graphics card before..still the same...?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its a different version and latest one...can't revert back as ASUS doesn't allow that as the original BIOS model no was different which is the issue
i have updated my cousin's asus laptop bios with a version older than the one installed.i used that windows utility(winflash)& in normal mode it wouldn't update the bios giving error that the bios installed is newer than the one i want to install but there is a way around this.you can update any bios even if it is older by simply running winflash using command prompt & a simple command.

OP
W

warrior047

In the zone
i have updated my cousin's asus laptop bios with a version older than the one installed.i used that windows utility(winflash)& in normal mode it wouldn't update the bios giving error that the bios installed is newer than the one i want to install but there is a way around this.you can update any bios even if it is older by simply running winflash using command prompt & a simple command.

Guess I made it complex...thing is, I had successfully upgraded the BIOS then but then saw horrible performance issues....so wanted to revert back which was not possible...Please see below thread for that....

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/cpu-motherboards/144886-how-update-bios-through-bootable-disk.html

I had downgraded but then was the time my Mobo went bricked....and now its repaired and was working fine untill when I started seeing this no display issue...there was quite some slowness after it started working...so checked and removed the over heated graphics card (Its motor went bad itseems)....and then it worked well for some time....so finally, am facing the issue explained in the main description...

Pls see and suggest...guess downgrading is not the solution for me...

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
you mentioned getting your mobo back with latest bios.i hope you did not get your mobo serviced at rashi peripherals.they have a bad reputation of sometimes just returning defective unit with minor fixes or giving another defective unit.

OP
W

warrior047

In the zone
you mentioned getting your mobo back with latest bios.i hope you did not get your mobo serviced at rashi peripherals.they have a bad reputation of sometimes just returning defective unit with minor fixes or giving another defective unit.

No...I checked it because of the same...they returned it back with the latest 0901 bios which even worked for some time....but am not sure if the current prob is the Mobo or PSU...

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
how did you check?only sure shot way to confirm mobo is replaced is by comparing serial no. of old mobo & replaced mobo.also as i said before sometimes rashi give defective unit as replacement which will work fine for some days but after that it is the same old story again.

OP
W

warrior047

In the zone
how did you check?only sure shot way to confirm mobo is replaced is by comparing serial no. of old mobo & replaced mobo.also as i said before sometimes rashi give defective unit as replacement which will work fine for some days but after that it is the same old story again.

So better am off with a new Mobo...or PSU?
I checked the serial # when they gave the piece back and also the BIOS version at the start up...

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
first make sure before doing anything.checking mobo is difficult but psu is easier so try a friend's psu in your system.if it works fine for a few hours then mobo is the problem.also even with graphics card your system is not power hungry so a decent 500W even local brand should be able to run your your system.

Top Bottom