No Display after Ubuntu install

Vignesh B

Youngling
My Hardware -
Intel Core i5-750
Gigabyte GA-P55m-UD2
Zotac GeForce 9600GT
BenQ G2420HD

I am using Windows 7 64 bit(Home Premium). I wanted to dual-boot with Ubuntu(latest-version of the 64bit variant).I booted from the USB-stick. I created 2 separate partitions for Ubuntu - One with the ext4 file system for the / and another 12GB swap partition -from an app called G-parted inside the Live booted Ubuntu. I then installed Ubuntu.
Didn't allow Ubuntu to download updates for codecs and all as I feel more can go wrong while installing the OS than installing the codecs after the OS install.
Ubuntu install finished successfully.
But after the restart, in the boot menu I selected the first option Ubuntu generic...(it was auto-selected though, I just pressed Enter), then some dots appeared on the screen, then the monitor went into the power-saving mode. Windows is still running fine though.
I doubt some driver issues. But why could I boot into the Live CD mode, if there is no driver available? Is there anyway I can run Ubuntu? Should I download and try out the 32 bit version of Ubuntu?

Last edited:
OP
V

Vignesh B

Youngling
Hey guys, the problem got resolved when I connected the DVI cable to the other DVI ports present in the card. :? :shock:
I had tried re-installing also(tried both 32-bit and the 64-bit version)
Any idea what is happening? Some problem with the port of the graphic card?

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Hey guys, the problem got resolved when I connected the DVI cable to the other DVI ports present in the card. :? :shock:
I had tried re-installing also(tried both 32-bit and the 64-bit version)
Any idea what is happening? Some problem with the port of the graphic card?

If you mean one dvi posr of your gpu is working with ubuntu and other isn't, then its really wired. (hopefully I understood everything)

OP
V

Vignesh B

Youngling
If you mean one dvi posr of your gpu is working with ubuntu and other isn't, then its really wired. (hopefully I understood everything)

You are correct.
Another thing I have noted is that when I boot using the 'working' port, I get proper(higher resolution) in the GRUB screen. And when I use the other port I get the low resolution(perhaps 640 X 480) in the GRUB screen.

Top Bottom