No chnage after upgrading RAM from 2GB to 4GB

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Your hyundai ram module voltage is 1.35v while your transcend ram module is the usual 1.5v,i believe this is the reason for these issues.
DDR3 that support both 1.35v and 1.5v - AnandTech Forums

better ask dell support about this.

That means the new added 4GB RAM is a waste completely???
The system supports 1.35v and the Transcend RAM is of 1.5v,so will there be issues???
What about the core + thread issues of Intel CPU?

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am not sure,usually this isn't an issue with desktops but laptop bios settings comes pre-set & locked.that is why i suggested calling dell support about this.maybe they have some hidden voltage setting in bios.as for core issue i think just running laptop with hyundai ram should solve it,try it.

kg11sgbg

But core issues has not been resolved. [MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION] ,I had removed the Transcend 4GB DDR3 newly purchased RAM module from my laptop.
But cpu-z still shows 1core and 1 thread for the core-i5 4210U CPU. Actually I downloaded,installed and ran the Intel Hardware Diagnostic apps. from Intel site, I think the issue of CPU started after that.
Please help me friend.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
boot using memtest free version,it reports no. of cores & threads.if it reports correctly then it is some software issue.
MemTest86 - Download now!

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Can you post a picture of the original packaging of your RAM ? There's a good reason to believe that the RAM you recieved could be fake/duplicate

Or better yet go here Product Verification-Welcome to the Transcend Info Website and verify your product

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
The RAM module is of 4GB DDR3 and 1600Mhz from Transcend as I mentioned earlier.
In fact this is a replacement through Flipkart,I returned the first RAM module of 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz from Transcend,thinking it was a defective module.
But same incident is occurring with the replacement module also.

- - - Updated - - -

Some pics posted ,which has my system showing CPU of 1 core & 1 thread.
Previously,it was showing 2 cores & 4 threads.
As per CPU-Z:--->
*img909.imageshack.us/img909/3153/88ZGxs.png
As per Speccy:--->
*img901.imageshack.us/img901/5177/8uBSJL.png

Similarly the memory module as 8GB shown by CPU-Z and Speccy respectively:--->

*img537.imageshack.us/img537/5557/NvWsNm.png

*img661.imageshack.us/img661/5551/QMJuPd.png

*img540.imageshack.us/img540/7426/uR3G3T.png

Strange!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Absurd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

The Windows System shows as:--->

*img537.imageshack.us/img537/5269/eCsKRl.png

Feeling Hopless + Hapless, Friends...................................................................................................................................:banghead::blank::crazy::pullhair:

where did you buy the new ram from?

kg11sgbg

where did you buy the new ram from?
From Flipkart,my Friend.
I am returning this RAM.
If I am not wrong a fellow member did start a thread regarding the ram authenticity

Can you post a picture of the original packaging of your RAM ? There's a good reason to believe that the RAM you recieved could be fake/duplicate

Or better yet go here Product Verification-Welcome to the Transcend Info Website and verify your product

The RAM is authentic,no issues on that.
As pointed out by (our Genious + Generous, friend) [MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION],the problem was due to incompatible voltage specs. This Transcend 4GB DDR3 supports 1.5V whereas the factory set/provided by DELL Inspiron 14 5447 is a Hyundai 4GB DDR3 RAM module of 1.35V
Seems the system is optimized for 1.35V only.Since this Transcend RAM is the 2nd one I am returning,as due to my misunderstanding & unknowing of facts and knowledge,the first Transcend 4GB DDR3 RAM also behaved in an exact manner,and I returned the 2nd one for a replacement.
I tried to install the 1st and 2nd set of Transcend 4GB DDR3 RAMS in the primary RAM slot of my DELL Laptop,by uninstalling the factory default Hyundai 4GB DDR3 RAM. Both the cases ended in 3 subsequent beeps and a blank screen,while booting up.
But Hyundai 4GB DDR3 RAM is running fine and as normally as possible,after which I again re-installed/re-seated the Hyundai RAM.

boot using memtest free version,it reports no. of cores & threads.if it reports correctly then it is some software issue.
MemTest86 - Download now!

Issues resolved my Friend!!

The Help and my whole heartedly Thanks goes to Intel i5 M540 showing 1 core and 1 thread [Solved] - Laptops - Laptop Tech Support

AML1973 comments :--->Ok I figured it out and I must have screwed with something when I did a fresh win7 install. I went to the MSCONFIG area and under advanced boot options the box stating the number of processors checked was 1. I unchecked the box and restarted the computer. Now under CPU-Z it is listing it with 2 cores and 4 threads and running at 3GHz.

I've monitored the temps of both gpu and cpu and they are not going above 62 C. Thanks all for the help and I appreciate all the help I've received.

If someone, like a MOD, could list this issue as solved I would appreciate it.

Latest pics. uploaded as I reverted back to normal.
*img540.imageshack.us/img540/9083/NeYog7.png

*img661.imageshack.us/img661/8941/Gao3XD.png

*img540.imageshack.us/img540/4916/C0HJPR.png

To [MENTION=110244]Nerevarine[/MENTION]
*img538.imageshack.us/img538/3364/JGFVRA.png

*img661.imageshack.us/img661/2096/srabbt.png

Sorry,brother for the bad quality of pics.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
From Flipkart,my Friend.
I am returning this RAM.

The RAM is authentic,no issues on that.
As pointed out by (our Genious + Generous, friend) [MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION],the problem was due to incompatible voltage specs. This Transcend 4GB DDR3 supports 1.5V whereas the factory set/provided by DELL Inspiron 14 5447 is a Hyundai 4GB DDR3 RAM module of 1.35V
Seems the system is optimized for 1.35V only.Since this Transcend RAM is the 2nd one I am returning,as due to my misunderstanding & unknowing of facts and knowledge,the first Transcend 4GB DDR3 RAM also behaved in an exact manner,and I returned the 2nd one for a replacement.
I tried to install the 1st and 2nd set of Transcend 4GB DDR3 RAMS in the primary RAM slot of my DELL Laptop,by uninstalling the factory default Hyundai 4GB DDR3 RAM. Both the cases ended in 3 subsequent beeps and a blank screen,while booting up.
But Hyundai 4GB DDR3 RAM is running fine and as normally as possible,after which I again re-installed/re-seated the Hyundai RAM.

Issues resolved my Friend!!

The Help and my whole heartedly Thanks goes to Intel i5 M540 showing 1 core and 1 thread [Solved] - Laptops - Laptop Tech Support

Latest pics. uploaded as I reverted back to normal.
*img540.imageshack.us/img540/9083/NeYog7.png

*img661.imageshack.us/img661/8941/Gao3XD.png

*img540.imageshack.us/img540/4916/C0HJPR.png

To [MENTION=110244]Nerevarine[/MENTION]
*img538.imageshack.us/img538/3364/JGFVRA.png

*img661.imageshack.us/img661/2096/srabbt.png

Sorry,brother for the bad quality of pics.

yeah return the ram and pls tell us your laptop model number
you can check online and see which ram other owners bought for the same model laptop
thats what ive done,though im yet to buy the ram

kg11sgbg

yeah return the ram and pls tell us your laptop model number
you can check online and see which ram other owners bought for the same model laptop
thats what ive done,though im yet to buy the ram
It is Dell Inspiron 14 5000 Series Laptop

Model No: 5447541TB2S(Silver)

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
It is Dell Inspiron 14 5000 Series Laptop

Model No: 5447541TB2S(Silver)

im afraid i couldnt find any posts where i could learn the model no for the appropriate ram :(
you could also try and sell the OEM hyundai ram locally and try 2 sticks of 4gb(both identical) or 1 stick of 8gb but im not too sure about the appropriate ram for your system :(
you can also try and see if the system runs fine without the hyundai ram and with just the transcend one inserted to see if it matches the system atleast

kg11sgbg

im afraid i couldnt find any posts where i could learn the model no for the appropriate ram :(
you could also try and sell the OEM hyundai ram locally and try 2 sticks of 4gb(both identical) or 1 stick of 8gb but im not too sure about the appropriate ram for your system :(
you can also try and see if the system runs fine without the hyundai ram and with just the transcend one inserted to see if it matches the system atleast
No,Friend I tried that way as suggested by you.But 3 intermittent beeps were heard and a blank screen,after boot up,whenever I attached/installed the Transcend RAM on the primary RAM slot of this Laptop.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
No,Friend I tried that way as suggested by you.But 3 intermittent beeps were heard and a blank screen,after boot up,whenever I attached/installed the Transcend RAM on the primary RAM slot of this Laptop.

ohh then the ram isnt compatible with your system at all or is defective
just for posts sake,i thought id share the ram which is compatible with my system
Corsair DDR3 4 GB Laptop RAM (CMSO4GX3M1A1600C11) - Corsair : Flipkart.com
i dunno if itll work with yours but the parts and specs on our laptops are quite similiar so in theory it should work
itd still be better if someone could confirm however

kg11sgbg

ohh then the ram isnt compatible with your system at all or is defective
just for posts sake,i thought id share the ram which is compatible with my system
Corsair DDR3 4 GB Laptop RAM (CMSO4GX3M1A1600C11) - Corsair : Flipkart.com
i dunno if itll work with yours but the parts and specs on our laptops are quite similiar so in theory it should work
itd still be better if someone could confirm however

Actually this one is a 2nd set from Flipkart which I am returning.
The First one I returned with a replacement(the same Transcend 4GB DDR3 RAM)from the same seller through Flipkart,which was a mistake I know now,by going on through these discussions.
This is a screenshot of:--->

*img538.imageshack.us/img538/3036/VqSO65.png

*img537.imageshack.us/img537/5899/AlN8NH.png

*img913.imageshack.us/img913/7964/jePc2m.png

So I have decided and went in for :--->

*img910.imageshack.us/img910/1838/pMai4F.png

Hopefully,this will end my trouble of upgrading.
What do you say [MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION]?

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Actually this one is a 2nd set from Flipkart which I am returning.
The First one I returned with a replacement(the same Transcend 4GB DDR3 RAM)from the same seller through Flipkart,which was a mistake I know now,by going on through these discussions.
This is a screenshot of:--->

*img538.imageshack.us/img538/3036/VqSO65.png

*img537.imageshack.us/img537/5899/AlN8NH.png

*img913.imageshack.us/img913/7964/jePc2m.png

So I have decided and went in for :--->

*img910.imageshack.us/img910/1838/pMai4F.png

Hopefully,this will end my trouble of upgrading.
What do you say [MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION]?

ohh thank god for return option i guess,laptop ram is such a nightmare x_x
hopefully you have found the ram you were looking for
good luck! :)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
1.35v laptop ram should work fine with the laptop.keep us updated as it will help others here too,most people don't look at ram voltage rating before buying.

kg11sgbg

Thank You [MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION] for imparting the knowledge regarding voltages of RAM modules.
In case the manufacturer or frequency or capacity differs,still RAM's do work together. But if voltages differ,then no way...
It was an eye opener for all of us,Friend Thank You again.
Shall definitely inform all of you in this @TDF,when I install the new Crucial RAM and post the CPU-Z and Speccy screenshots.

- - - Updated - - -

ohh thank god for return option i guess,laptop ram is such a nightmare x_x
hopefully you have found the ram you were looking for
good luck! :)

Thank You Friend.
Let me get the RAM by next week and I shall inform all of you about its functioning,compatibility or issues if there any.

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing,I forgot to mention.
It seems and is highly likely that this Laptop DELL Inspiron 14 5447 supports upto 16GB compatible DDR3 RAMS as mentioned by me on comment #34 above.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
you should have been a little more careful since you already have a haswell laptop ;). recently i also bought a 4gb low voltage laptop ram but from gskill from primeabgb.
anyway, good luck this time.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
you should have been a little more careful since you already have a haswell laptop ;). recently i also bought a 4gb low voltage laptop ram but from gskill from primeabgb.
anyway, good luck this time.

so do ULVs only support low voltage RAM only? :O

Top Bottom