No chnage after upgrading RAM from 2GB to 4GB

I have recently added extra 2GB ram to my old Desktop. i.e
  1. Ram-2GB DDR2 667 MHz
  2. MB-ASUS M2NPV-VM
  3. Processor-AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000+

And did a memory's performance test with MaxxMEM² Benchmark. But there is no change as I can see from the results 2gb ram performace.JPG4gb ram performace.JPG ,what could be the reason?And what are the other ways to test?

$hadow

Geek in making
Then you probably end up seeing no visible difference at all. Upgrade to windows 8 64 bit on the least for a better performance boost.

approveme

Right off the assembly line
So you've upgraded your PC with 4GB of system RAM, only to find out that Windows doesn't see all of it. The reason is simple: 32-bit versions of Windows XP, 7, or Vista cannot use more than 4GB of system RAM—at least not without an ugly and unsupported hack. If you want to actually use all of that RAM that you installed, you'll need to install a 64-bit version of Windows.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Funny. Because I see that he has upgraded from 2 GB to 4 GB RAM. Even though he may not get 4 GB, he should still see some improvement in available memory from 1.6 something to 2.9 or3.0 something.

He should definitely see improvement. I suppose XP will run well in 2 GB RAM (I used to run mine which was almost similar config to yours on 1.5 GB). You will have to really load it up to see improvement. The bottleneck may not be raw amount of RAM but rather transfer speeds due to old motherboard. You should definitely see less disk thrashing on working with large multimedia files, heavy multitabbed browsing sessions etc. Then again your CPU may be found lacking there before hitting RAM ceiling.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
What did you expect to change? Not much will change from upgrading RAM. You can just run more programs now.

Read/Write speed and all would be same. Unless you're running Dual Channel which will give you some boost but only if both the sticks are of same type with same density (identical is preferred).

RBX

In the zone
I don't think adding more RAM increases performance, unless it was under-performing because of lack of RAM. Your normal operations should stay the same, but you might see more responsiveness in memory intensive applications.

OP
L

livinggourmand

Broken In
I ll load up my system with applications and games like NFSMW,COD4 (use to get a lag earlier) .Let me see how it performs. Thanks all :)

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
^But unless and until you do not install a Windows OS with 64-bit architecture as suggested by other Friends, you wont notice any performance gain at all...
As also suggested by [MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION] , do check your BIOS settings,where you could definitely see the total increased RAM value due to added RAM module .

kg11sgbg

I am facing a same problem too as per @OP,regarding upgrdation of laptop RAM.

I purchased a Transcend 4GB DDR3 (1600MHz) Laptop RAM module and attached successfully to the empty RAM slot of my DELL Inspiron 5447 notebook.
The notebook came with a 4GB RAM at 1600MHz factory set when purchased. The RAM was from Hyundai Electronics.

But inside BIOS settings,the total RAM is 4096MB as showing still now.

Whereas in CPUID CPU-Z and Speccy apps.(both downloaded) the Total RAM is shown as 8192MB or 8GB (single channel mode).

Which one to believe? What is the correct configuration?
Why does the total RAM does not increase in value within BIOS settings?

Come on experts,please clarify and justify.

Suggestions,advice awaited from [MENTION=26711]ico[/MENTION] [MENTION=126812] whitestar_999[/MENTION] [MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION] [MENTION=159164]$hadow[/MENTION] [MENTION=88006] sam[/MENTION] [MENTION=184724]kkn13[/MENTION] [MENTION=24872] seamon[/MENTION] ,.... if all of you please.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try with each ram module first in default slot(one with hyundai ram pre-installed when system was bought) to rule out any ram issue.then try each ram module in 2nd slot to rule out ram slot issue.after that make sure you are properly installing the ram as unlike desktop it is easy to mistook an incorrectly seated ram as correct because of cramped space.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
~snip~

Whereas in CPUID CPU-Z and Speccy apps.(both downloaded) the Total RAM is shown as 8192MB or 8GB (single channel mode).

~snip~

I've never read about applications showing more RAM than the BIOS. :confused:

Either ways, they should show it in dual channel mode if they are detecting it correctly.

$hadow

Geek in making
I don't think it is a mobo problem. Try using the nee ram with 1st module and old ram with second and if no result try to use only new ram with any module. BTW I hope both ram are of similar frequency.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I am facing a same problem too as per @OP,regarding upgrdation of laptop RAM.

I purchased a Transcend 4GB DDR3 (1600MHz) Laptop RAM module and attached successfully to the empty RAM slot of my DELL Inspiron 5447 notebook.
The notebook came with a 4GB RAM at 1600MHz factory set when purchased. The RAM was from Hyundai Electronics.

Come on experts,please clarify and justify.

Suggestions,advice awaited from [MENTION=26711]ico[/MENTION] [MENTION=126812] whitestar_999[/MENTION] [MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION] [MENTION=159164]$hadow[/MENTION] [MENTION=88006] sam[/MENTION] [MENTION=184724]kkn13[/MENTION] [MENTION=24872] seamon[/MENTION] ,.... if all of you please.

strange :O usually the issue is that the bios detects it but not the OS/OS applications
i suggest you run Memtest or some other diagnostic utility and see the results
worst case scenario-its probably because the ram sticks arent playing well or something(different CAS or frequency)
not a motherboard issue im sure

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hardly matters what BIOS says. If the OS is saying it's 8 GB, then it's 8 GB.

For your assurance, open Google Chrome and open 100 something tabs. Being a memory hog, it will easily use something around 3.5 GB. Open up other programs as well, that will give you some 1.5 GB of memory usage. Open Task Manager and see how much you are using. Or simply fire a game and check memory usage.

kg11sgbg

The RAM module is of 4GB DDR3 and 1600Mhz from Transcend as I mentioned earlier.
In fact this is a replacement through Flipkart,I returned the first RAM module of 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz from Transcend,thinking it was a defective module.
But same incident is occurring with the replacement module also.

- - - Updated - - -

Some pics posted ,which has my system showing CPU of 1 core & 1 thread.
Previously,it was showing 2 cores & 4 threads.
As per CPU-Z:--->
*img909.imageshack.us/img909/3153/88ZGxs.png
As per Speccy:--->
*img901.imageshack.us/img901/5177/8uBSJL.png

Similarly the memory module as 8GB shown by CPU-Z and Speccy respectively:--->

*img537.imageshack.us/img537/5557/NvWsNm.png

*img661.imageshack.us/img661/5551/QMJuPd.png

*img540.imageshack.us/img540/7426/uR3G3T.png

Strange!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Absurd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

The Windows System shows as:--->

*img537.imageshack.us/img537/5269/eCsKRl.png

Feeling Hopless + Hapless, Friends...................................................................................................................................:banghead::blank::crazy::pullhair:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your hyundai ram module voltage is 1.35v while your transcend ram module is the usual 1.5v,i believe this is the reason for these issues.
DDR3 that support both 1.35v and 1.5v - AnandTech Forums

better ask dell support about this.

Top Bottom