Nexus 7 2012 error while updating to Lollipop

meetdilip

Computer Addict
It happened to me twice. The update from 4.4 is around 312 MB. It got downloaded fine but when I use Restart and Install button, tablet shutsdown and starts update only to show that there is some error and stuck with Android robot with a red triangle error icon at the opening in it's heart. In short, not able to update 4.4 to 5.0.2 Any help will be appreciated.

OP
meetdilip

meetdilip

Computer Addict
There seems to be a wide recognised issue with lollipop update on this model. I am happy with KitKat. Some guys were complaining their tabs not working at all after update. Mine is at the least running KitKat. Skipping until I could really do something on this.

TechnoBOY

Padawan
It happened to me twice. The update from 4.4 is around 312 MB. It got downloaded fine but when I use Restart and Install button, tablet shutsdown and starts update only to show that there is some error and stuck with Android robot with a red triangle error icon at the opening in it's heart. In short, not able to update 4.4 to 5.0.2 Any help will be appreciated.

[MENTION=73293]meetdilip[/MENTION]

May be this can help
1. After the OTA fails, are you able to power off and reboot your device normally? How is the device running after rebooting?

2. Is your device bootloader unlocked? Go into Bootloader Mode (with device turned off, press the power button and volume down at same time). In Bootloader menu, does it say locked or unlocked at bottom of screen? If it is unlocked, it needs to be locked and then retry the OTA.

3. Is your device rooted or modified in any way? OTA cannot be installed on rooted or modified devices.

4. How much storage do you have available? Go to 'Settings | Storage' and see what is listed as available. Try to free up at least 2 GB by uninstalling apps or deleting personal data that is backed up. If you were short on storage, after freeing storage up then retry the OTA install.

5. Do you have any third party launcher, security apps, or other apps that run in the background? You might want to try to uninstall them and see if the OTA install will work.

6. Have you done a wipe cache partition? If not, then do the wipe cache partition and the try the update again.

WIPING THE CACHE PARTITION:

If your phone is on, turn it off.
Press & hold Volume Down and then press & hold the Power button at the same time until the phone turns on. This will bring you into Fastboot Mode as the initial step. You'll see the word "Start" with an arrow drawn around it.
Now you want to get into Recovery Mode, so press the Volume Down button twice to highlight Recovery mode.
Press the Power button to start Recovery Mode. You'll see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.
While holding the Power button, press the Volume Up button once and release it, then also release the Power button. The Recovery Mode menu should appear. Next, use the volume buttons to scroll to "wipe cache partition" and press the Power button to select it. You will see a message saying ‘Wiping cache…
Note: This process can take up to 10+ minutes to complete. When the cache wipe is complete, make sure ‘reboot system now’ is highlighted and press the Power button to select it.

7. Have you done a Factory reset recently before trying to install the OTA. If not, and if none of the other steps above resolve the problem, then do a factory reset and then try the OTA install again. From Recovery Mode, the factory reset can be done following these instructions:

*support.google.com/nexus/answer/4596836
or head over to *productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/8JPs4hll3Dk

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
There seems to be a wide recognised issue with lollipop update on this model. I am happy with KitKat. Some guys were complaining their tabs not working at all after update. Mine is at the least running KitKat. Skipping until I could really do something on this.

Apologies for my previous reply. I was browsing from Tapatalk, and skipped the fist post.

I think you are right about the fact that updating to Lollipop is a not so useful idea. It's not that fluid as I was expecting.
On idle it does seem to give a good battery life though.

So if you do want to update you will have to flash the OTA file manually and for that you would need to have rooted device. Wugfresh's Nexus Root Toolkit can automate most of the task.

$hadow

Geek in making
Apologies for my previous reply. I was browsing from Tapatalk, and skipped the fist post.

I think you are right about the fact that updating to Lollipop is a not so useful idea. It's not that fluid as I was expecting.
On idle it does seem to give a good battery life though.

So if you do want to update you will have to flash the OTA file manually and for that you would need to have rooted device. Wugfresh's Nexus Root Toolkit can automate most of the task.

Hey does wugfreah offer on the device backup?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Hey does wugfreah offer on the device backup?

Nexus Root Toolkit v2.0.4 | WugFresh

This program will automatically bring together all the files you need to unlock and root your device in a few clicks, or flash it back to stock and re-lock it. You can also use this program to backup/restore all your important data, flash zips, set file permissions, push and pull files, install apps, generate logcats/bugreports, and much more! With the included file association options, you can perform tasks like flashing zips, installing apps, restoring android backup files, and flashing/booting img files with just a double click! The program includes a full featured interface for automating tasks in TWRP, enhanced restore features, an in-built auto-updater/notification system, ‘any build’ mode, advanced restore features,’NRT- Live Log’ for viewing the adb/fastboot cmds that are run in the background, quick tools utilities, and tools for taking screenshots/screen-recordings. All the latest official Android builds and Nexus devices are supported. The program intelligently and selectively downloads the files it needs for your device and makes sure you are using the latest files available. The program can even auto-detect your device and build.

Not sure what you mean by "On the device" backup.

$hadow

Geek in making
Like titanium backup which make a backup on the device and you can make a copy of that backup and store it on your PC.

A

amit.tiger12

Okay..
1st of all.. whenever new os update comes.. like from kitkat to lollipop.. don't update through device...
download it on computer... and flash it completely... never try this update thing for new os.. it can "break" your board... I found similar cases on nexus 5 while updating through nexus 5.. i don't know what happens to their devices never got hands on their devices but they were complaining on service center..
I always flash new updates never tried update from device.. after backup... enjoy.. :)

link for flashing stock image..
[GUIDE] Flashing a Factory Image with fastbo… | Nexus 7 | XDA Forums

other stuff
0. Nexus 7 - XDA Forums
1. [REF] Nexus 7 Stock OTA URLs | Nexus 7 | XDA Forums

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
meetdilip

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Thanks guys. No way of updating it simply as such (I mean without rooting or playing with booting ? ). A pity that Google is pathetic with 5.0 updates.

A

amit.tiger12

Thanks guys. No way of updating it simply as such (I mean without rooting or playing with booting ? ). A pity that Google is pathetic with 5.0 updates.

I think.. nexus has simplest way of flashing than other mobiles from different vendors.. just compare it to others, its much more simple than others.. just love your nexus... ;)

$hadow

Geek in making
Stock android is better in terms of rooting and flashing roms but only sammy is the easiest when it comes to rooting a device.

Top Bottom