1. Hey Guest Did you know you can win an Honor 10 phone worth ₹33,000 and an additional ₹70,000 in paytm vouchers, just by replying to some threads and taking part in the discussions happening in the Honor Hub?

What are you waiting for? Start commenting and start winning! Remember to read the instructions posted here.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie needs advice on sharing Sify B'band using WiFi router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Monster_AMD, Feb 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monster_AMD

Monster_AMD New Member

Dear frends,
    I just got Sify bband. I can use it with 2 computers max as a Sify rule like a standalone computer. The MAC address of each LAN card of both machines (an AMD 64 desktop n a Vaio laptop) r registered with Sify. So we can't use the Sify connection with other two: one is an Apple iBook with Airport wireless card and other one is also a Vaio. Somebody suggested me to use Netgear router to share all the machines.

1. Which one should I use Netgear(WGR614) or DLink (DI524)? Is there any other better model?

2. Will the whole set up be like a proxy server? I mean would I have to keep the Desktop always on and connected to Sify and then share it with rest of the machines? the DLink guy whom I approached says 'that its not necessary n thats wht routers are for'. but I am confused abt the MAC address stuff. What he is saying is that true?

3. Is it possible to login from the router ? I mean I don't want that proxy kinda stuff.

hmm...

2. arijitraja

arijitraja New Member

dude r u sure they allow 2 MAC addresses.. i guess they just allowed one !!

3. OP
    OP
    Monster_AMD

Monster_AMD New Member

Max 2 are allowed. I am sure n I am using them.

4. blacklight

blacklight New Member

i think this thread should be moved to the QnA section for better response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.