New to Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raaza

Journeyman
Hi friends,

At last I could Install Fedora 7 In my celeron system with the help of digit forum members,

thank you very much for the same.

I'm new to linux so that I can't understand even basic things like install softwares, access windows partition, networking with windows based laptop via lan cable etc etc.

I know that there's so many friends here to help.

please help me to install real player in fedora 7, access windows partition, and how can I network fedora7 to my laptop ( WIN XP)

I expect a detailed step by step help.

and pls suggest some good books, links to learn Linux.

pls note that I don't know anything about linux.

thank you

V

vineeth.gk

search ur requests in google u will get the step by step instructions:D SURE!!!!:cool:

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
About the networking. In XP set the IP to something like 192.168.1.2 and then connect the 2 PCs using cable.

In fedora, go to Nautilus, click on file, click on connect to server, select Windows share. Type in the IP address given in the last step. And connect.

You will be able to access the shared files in windows. And be able to write on them if you have access.

I dunno about accessing Fedora from Xp.

Aditya

anantkhaitan

Burning Bright
Fedora 7 in Celeron.. Well I recommend you installing XFCE for better performance

Open Terminal for running the following codes
Accessing Partitions ... Give the output of :
Code:
$ su -c /sbin/fdisk -l

Installing software in Fedora:
Code:
$ su -c yum install <package name>

Learn about linux : *www.tldp.org/

Also check : *howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desktop_fedora7

OP
R

Raaza

Journeyman
anantkhaitan said:
Fedora 7 in Celeron.. Well I recommend you installing XFCE for better performance

Open Terminal for running the following codes
Accessing Partitions ... Give the output of :
Code:
$ su -c /sbin/fdisk -l

to access windows partitions what should I do after this command?

I could install some softwares thnx for the support.

pls suggest me a good download manager with scheduling features
and a torrent client ( light in system resources)

I also tried to network with laptop ( Win XP ) , but I got an error message as given below

"The folder contents could not be displayed. Sorry, couldn't display all the contents of "Windows Network: 192.168.1.2".

what does this mean?

all of the partitions of my laptop are NTFS.
is it a problem?

which is the best music player, DVD player as well as Broadband monitoring program (like DU Meter) for fedora7 ?

thnx

anantkhaitan

Burning Bright
to access windows partitions what should I do after this command?
Paste the output here.. But as you said NTFS.. well I don't have much idea about it.. but yes anything is possible in GNU/Linux..perhaps line is fstab may help
Code:
/dev/<drive>   /media/<mountpoint>     ntfs-3g    rw,defaults,umask=0000 0 0
Check : *www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f7.html

pls suggest me a good download manager with scheduling features
and a torrent client ( light in system resources)
Download Manager : CLI based wget is the one in all solution.. It provides huge amount of options and it is preinstalled in Fedora 7 default installation
You may also go for GUI based Kget or Gwget
Torrent client : Try Azureus but i had some bitter experiences with it.. go for μTorrent it is Light, powerful but not native to Linux so you will have to install WINE

which is the best music player, DVD player
1> mplayer
2> VLC

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
"The folder contents could not be displayed. Sorry, couldn't display all the contents of "Windows Network: 192.168.1.2".

That means that all the files and folders that are private (not shared) on your windows PC cannot be displayed. But if you hace shared them over the network and enabled file sharing from windows firewall then you will be able to use those files. I am currently using this.

Aditya

OP
R

Raaza

Journeyman
thnx for the support.

Now I can access my windows partitions and windows based (WIN XP) laptop in fedora 7 .

but I've noticed that the booting time in fedora 7 is much longer than that of windows xp .

I'm using this Fedora 7 system mainly for downloading.

if the services are the cause of the longer booting time how can I disable unnecessary services not related to internet, networking, some audio and video playback ????

if the services are really not the reason for the longer booting time how can I speed up the booting time???

Re: Download Manager
how can I get Kget or Gwget ???

Fedora 7 is simply the best

thanks

praka123

left this forum longback
in fedora's menu somewhere(sorry!) there is one called "services".there disable unwanted services .the cmd if u want 2 know is as root : system-config-services".
configure yum online pkg manager for installing gwget or other s/w,
read *fedorafaq.org if already dont have.

reg,Fedora rpm distros mostly uses sytem five(V) init which is nowadays seems obsolete and many replacement inits are on the anvil.
Ubuntu by default uses upstart as replacement while Debian too can be used.
Initng can be installed in fedora-but that wants expertise much more.research with google for more details if ur interested.

OP
R

Raaza

Journeyman
how can I install Malayalam Fonts ?

I've some Malayalam .ttf, .pfb, .pfm fonts in XP.

Can I use these fonts in Fedora 7,???

praka123

left this forum longback
yes.u can install malayalam fonts.but better get .rpm for ttf-indic-fonts.just check the sticky- tips and tricks for howto-search pls/:)
Type 1 fonts are already there na?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom