New System Wont Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

adit_sen

In the zone
I just put together a system with old parts I acquired from a friend. Its an AMD 3800 64, 2GB RAM, and a WinFast PX6800GT PCI-E Graphics Card. Now when I boot, every thing seems to run normal, except that there is no display on the screen. The graphics card seems to be running (gpu fan is spinning), but there is no output

1. could there be an issue with the dvi to vga connector? i'm using an old crt monitor and the card has no vga outputs
2. i've noticed a 6pin power supply on the card, but i didnt get any cable for that. would i need the power cable? can't PCI-E cards power up using the motheboard power itself?

cheers

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
^^^ get urself a new psu cuz ur card wont workwith ur present psu.

also make sure that the new psu has the 6-pin pwr adapter.

Last edited:
OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
I have a 450W PSU. Also, on testing on another mobo, the card worked fine (without a 6-pin power cable)...

what else could be the problem?

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
if there is a 6 pin connector on your cards then you must connect it in order for it to work properly..just forget about it working on another motherboard...

buy a coolermaster 600W for around 3600 to guarantee that it will work not only on your current old system but also on future system you may upgrade to...

pratik03

Journeyman
you don't need to change your power supply you just need 4-pin to 6-pin molex power adapter

*img49.imageshack.us/img49/2653/ghmr9.png
after connecting it your computer should boot normaly

Last edited:
OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
ok guys, tried the power cable for the card, and it still has the same problem. any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom