New SSD for Macbook !!

beanstalk_230

Broken In
Hello everyone

I'm planning for a 120 GB SSD ~ 5 k.

Now some reading led to a few doubts which I would like to share:

1. Some users have added the SSD's as the 2nd HDD by using it in the DVD Drive bay which is definitely an interesting idea. Is it advisable or better to switch the HDD ?

2. OS X Yosemite has introduced a new security feature disabling TRIM : Yosemite upgrade stops Macs with aftermarket SSDs from booting | Apple | Geek.com

Lastly which is the most VFM & reliable SSD 120GB available these days ?? Samsung Evo 120gb ~ 4.6k (3 Year Warr) & Intel 520 120gb ~ 5k (5yr Warr) ?

Thanks

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Personally I believe that combo of HDD + SSD is the best. Keep OS, frquently used app or game on SSD and everything else HDD. Bwtween two get the Intel SSD.

OP
B

beanstalk_230

Broken In
After looking at the no. Of problems people are facing with Intel Ssd + Macbook i decided to go with Samsung Evo 840 120gb. I hope the decision works out okay even though i had to let go of 2yrs extra warranty provided by Intel.

Gollum

Collector
After looking at the no. Of problems people are facing with Intel Ssd + Macbook i decided to go with Samsung Evo 840 120gb. I hope the decision works out okay even though i had to let go of 2yrs extra warranty provided by Intel.

You will be surprised when you learn how many ppl have issues with the evo 840

OP
B

beanstalk_230

Broken In
Actually Intel 520 had some MB recognition issues with my laptop board & therefore I ordered samsung after cancelling the Intel order. Ordered through Amazon.in. Hopefully they have a replacement / return policy if it does not work. Will have to wait & watch.

Top Bottom