New Rig Query

Helios 300 is now 112k + 5k warranty on flipkart. It is still outta stock on acers website.
Legion 5 pro has come and gone and I am unable to find any prebook page on amazon.
Hp victus is looking lucrative at 104k but there are no reviews and too long wait.
There is also the Zephyrus g15 5800hs and 3060 wqhd unit for 136k on reliance digital but they are offering 1yr warranty for 12k.

Should I get predator or victus or wait for legion?
For just gaming, Predator is a safe choice. Victus sure looks lucrative but apparently has a 80-95W 3060 vs 100-105W on Helios which is slated to be upgraded to 115-130W via BIOS update.

Legion 5 pro is a great choice for sure, especially for its display & g-sync, which also boosts fps by 10%. The 10% boost can be replicated on most laptops by connecting to an external monitor, doing this myself.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
For just gaming, Predator is a safe choice. Victus sure looks lucrative but apparently has a 80-95W 3060 vs 100-105W on Helios which is slated to be upgraded to 115-130W via BIOS update.

Legion 5 pro is a great choice for sure, especially for its display & g-sync, which also boosts fps by 10%. The 10% boost can be replicated on most laptops by connecting to an external monitor, doing this myself.
Could you also explain how this works? I thought fps will be same on screen, in-house or external.

Could you also explain how this works? I thought fps will be same on screen, in-house or external.
So, most laptops use Optimus or its AMD equivalent graphics switching. So when you are playing a game, info from dGPU goes to iGPU then your laptop's screen. Many gaming laptops (usually not budget ones) have HDMI or mini DP port which is directly connected to dGPU instead of iGPU. High-end gaming laptops have a MUX switch to disable iGPU & connect the display directly to dGPU (will reduce battery life by a lot).
1627376977687.png

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
@omega44-xt ordered the helios 300 on the 6th it has arrived at my sisters place. I wanted to ask if there is a limited time frame to buy the extended warranty and also what all things need to be checked out while its in the replacement period.
Also suggest me some laptop tables for bed, keeping helios's weight in mind.

@omega44-xt ordered the helios 300 on the 6th it has arrived at my sisters place. I wanted to ask if there is a limited time frame to buy the extended warranty and also what all things need to be checked out while its in the replacement period.
Also suggest me some laptop tables for bed, keeping helios's weight in mind.
No idea about period. Do ask Acer, I know sometimes its cheap, like 2k for 2 years of extended warranty & such offers are limited time. I think full price is 8k.

No idea about bed tables, used to buy local ones during college days.

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
No idea about period. Do ask Acer, I know sometimes its cheap, like 2k for 2 years of extended warranty & such offers are limited time. I think full price is 8k.

No idea about bed tables, used to buy local ones during college days.
How about this table it was 1800 a few days ago.
Portronics My buddy plus Adjustable Laptop cooling Table (Brown) *www.amazon.in/dp/B0798PJPCL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_V9ZCFTRPJHSRP90H93RX?psc=1
It 500gms only will it be fine with helios300 weight?

How about this table it was 1800 a few days ago.
Portronics My buddy plus Adjustable Laptop cooling Table (Brown) *www.amazon.in/dp/B0798PJPCL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_V9ZCFTRPJHSRP90H93RX?psc=1
It 500gms only will it be fine with helios300 weight?
Get a simple ones locally, would be cheaper

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Hello everyone,
A very happy new year to all of you!
Got my helios 300 today.
What first time adjustments or tweaks do you recommend?

Hello everyone,
A very happy new year to all of you!
Got my helios 300 today.
What first time adjustments or tweaks do you recommend?
Which Helios 300? If 10th gen i7, look into undervolting the CPU. It helped with thermals on my friend's model.

Lots of guides on using Throttlestop. I used a -50mV UV on friend's laptop with a 45W CPU power limit. UV application on HWInfo appears after a reboot. Add an entry on Task Scheduler for starting Throttlestop at launch after the UV settings are stable & finalized. Use Turbo mode of the laptop & you are good during gaming.

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
I want to refrain from gaming on this machine as much as possible because I get hooked easily.
I'll look into undervolting if cooling table and bottle cap contraptions don't do much.
My main usage is content creation so I think most of my workloads will go to the 3060.
The games I might try to chill out will be genshin impact, horizon zero dawn, apex legends, phantasy star online and maybe a few more popular titles so I have a clue what my friends are talking about.

I wanna know about windows update.
It says nov 21 win 10 v20h2 KB5007186 and win 11 updates are pending. Please restart.
Is it ok to update to win 11 on 10th gen?

Also nvidia driver 457 is running and Geforce experience is not able to install the dec release 497.
What other stuff should install uninstall?
Will I need hw monitor or predator sense is enough?
The unit is 10th gen helios 300 with bios v 2.02 manufactured in July 2021.

I want to refrain from gaming on this machine as much as possible because I get hooked easily.
I'll look into undervolting if cooling table and bottle cap contraptions don't do much.
My main usage is content creation so I think most of my workloads will go to the 3060.
The games I might try to chill out will be genshin impact, horizon zero dawn, apex legends, phantasy star online and maybe a few more popular titles so I have a clue what my friends are talking about.

I wanna know about windows update.
It says nov 21 win 10 v20h2 KB5007186 and win 11 updates are pending. Please restart.
Is it ok to update to win 11 on 10th gen?

Also nvidia driver 457 is running and Geforce experience is not able to install the dec release 497.
What other stuff should install uninstall?
Will I need hw monitor or predator sense is enough?
The unit is 10th gen helios 300 with bios v 2.02 manufactured in July 2021.
I personally won't be moving to Win11 anytime soon. You can take your call. Win11 is stable, installed it on my cousin's laptop, but it still lacks features & has some inconveniences not found in Win10. I know Win11 can be modified to alleviate those, but those modifications will sometimes reset when an update comes. So you can take your call on Win11 vs Win10. Win11 works fine on Intel 8th gen & later, I think.

Maybe update BIOS. Geforce experience is not mandatory, but you can try uninstalling Nvidia drivers completely & reinstalling it. By any chance, if there's McAfee, uninstall that. Using HWInfo is your choice.

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
What's wrong with mcafee? I have norton I guess, the trial is still on so I didn't look into it much.
Which software would tell details about no. of sodimm and ram config?

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Ok so cpuz finally told me I have a sk hynix 16gb 3200mhz single stick ram. I haven't been able to figure out the rank though.
So tell me about 32gb kits I should be looking at. When it comes laptop components I am clueless about brands and timings.

And yeah I checked out warranty as well.
The Acer website tells me that I am only eligible for extended warranty and no accidental damage protection.
The extended warranty for 1 year is 8500 and for 2 years is 14000.
I was thinking that I should go for only 1 year extension and put the rest of the money into the accessories and softwares that I will be needing. What do you think?

Ok so cpuz finally told me I have a sk hynix 16gb 3200mhz single stick ram. I haven't been able to figure out the rank though.
So tell me about 32gb kits I should be looking at. When it comes laptop components I am clueless about brands and timings.

And yeah I checked out warranty as well.
The Acer website tells me that I am only eligible for extended warranty and no accidental damage protection.
The extended warranty for 1 year is 8500 and for 2 years is 14000.
I was thinking that I should go for only 1 year extension and put the rest of the money into the accessories and softwares that I will be needing. What do you think?
Once upon a time full time price of 2 year extended warranty was 8k or so. My friend got it for 2k during a promo.

Any 16GB will do, IMO. My friend bought this one:
Amazon.in
I think the RAMs were 1Rx8, not 1Rx16 which is considered slow (usually not found at 16GB sticks).

OP
A

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Cant decide on a backpack. Any suggestions?
I have checked out dyazo and arctic hunter anti theft backaps on amazon for a little over 2k.
Are they good or should i just buy the predator bag from acer store?

Deal of the day: ah arctic hunter Anti-Theft 15.6 inches Water Resistant Laptop Bag/Backpack with USB Charging Port and for Men and Women (Black) *www.amazon.in/dp/B07KFZ5ZSH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_i_dl_7MQ5HTSW0SEV71N5SF6A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Acer has this only for my budget. The grey 3 compartment bag is out of stock.
*store.acer.com/en-in/acer-consumer-backpack-1

Last edited:
Cant decide on a backpack. Any suggestions?
I have checked out dyazo and arctic hunter anti theft backaps on amazon for a little over 2k.
Are they good or should i just buy the predator bag from acer store?

Deal of the day: ah arctic hunter Anti-Theft 15.6 inches Water Resistant Laptop Bag/Backpack with USB Charging Port and for Men and Women (Black) *www.amazon.in/dp/B07KFZ5ZSH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_i_dl_7MQ5HTSW0SEV71N5SF6A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Acer has this only for my budget. The grey 3 compartment bag is out of stock.
*store.acer.com/en-in/acer-consumer-backpack-1
Go to local store & check Skybags & American Tourister ones.

Top Bottom