my computer stopped working early this morning
its 6-7 years old and its about time i got a new one

have a new monitor/keyboard/mouse and dvdwriter
needed to get a mobo/processor/ram/hdd/psu and a cabinet

dont use it for gaming,
surfing , watching videos and other basic stuff

budget , could go to 20 tops , but the less the better
wouldnt want something that'll be useless in a year or two

i realize there are very similar threads around ,but wasnt sure if diverting it by asking questions would be right

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
surfing, watching videos-HD , some basic gaming .. mostly football manager ,it doesnt need much
have monitor,keyboard,mouse,printer,speakers,dvdwriter
2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
Yes

3. What is your MAX budget?
max. 20k

4. Planning to overclock?
No

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
win7

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
have 2 tb external, so dont need much , 160 will do , 500 will too. can cut back if it saves any significant amount

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want?
NA

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
done by an assembler .. have an idea , but never done it before ..probably wont risk it

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
as soon as possible , using my laptop at the moment .. need a desktop now

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
as the desktop is for home usage and i'm not that into gaming, anything that will last me a few years and get along with surfing/downloading and watching some movies will do

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
Keyboard . Monitor , Mouse , Dvdwriter , printer

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
Mumbai , as i want it asap , will prefer someone local .. also please suggest some stores
anythinginit.com is closest to my place (andheri E) and it will deliver . is it safe ??

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
nothing else ..

thank you

EDIT : i havent mentioned the graphics card , will the onboard card work for now , i will probably add that in couple of months ..
if it will be a serious problem then i would somehow have to squeeze that in too

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Processor: Athlon II X4 635 2.8GHz @ 4.9k
Motherboard: Biostar TA785G3 HD @ 4.2k
Ram: 2Gb DDR3-1333Mhz from Corsair/Transcend/Kingston @ 2.6k
Graphics Card: -
PSU: FSP Saga II 350W @ 1.5k
Cabinet: CM Elite 310 @ 1.5k
Hard Drive: Wester Digital 500Gb Blue @ 2k

Total: 16.7k. with the rest get APC 550VA @ 1.8k & a suitable speaker.

OP
K

Karan85

Broken In
i have been quoted 10k (5.2+4.8) for x4 630 and 785g3HD
the rest sounds great

is there any store in mumbai where i can get 635 and 785g3HD at those prices

and is 350w enough or will it be safer to go for a gigabyte 460 @ ~2k

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
10k is just too high. check other stores. X4 635 should cost 5k. as you from Mumbai, visit E.Lounge. they should have good cheap mobo & proccy combo.

as no graphics card, 350W will be more than enough.

OP
K

Karan85

Broken In
i got that quote from prime abgb
will call e lounge as well then

and i will probably get a graphics card in a few months time .. dont want to get a stop gap .. but will like to keep that option open.

gigabyte 460 will cost around 500 more, that isnt a problem . is it alright/decent ?

also , how is biostar ta880gb+ .. primeabgb says thats the one they have in stock

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ seen their page. yes the price is rite. and yes tell Rahul (E-Lounge owner) that we from think Digit recommended his shop for you.

Gigabyte 460W or FSP Saga II 400W same unit different name. get it if you can.

its a good board. what is the price? AFAIK, both IT wares & prime's mobo price are really really high. i not know why so. whereas some peoples who buy from Lamington Road directly have quoted really low pricing.

OP
K

Karan85

Broken In
the guy from prime abgb said biostar 880 (didnt know the model no. )will arrive tomorrow and he will have that and the x4 630 together for 10.2k

i'll go over to lamington tomorrow then
will ask around , and go to elounge as well

ankiatir4850

VG gamerush!
A H55TC MOBO& i3-530 together@10k:smile:
2 GB DDR3 1333@2.3K
AND I/O DEVICES -@4K MAX(320GB SATA AND DVDRW)
PSU 450 WATTS BUNDELED WITH CASE@1.5K
the monitor is budget eater now!
i i3-530 processors are very fast..having a dual core they have 2 other logical cores imbedded...so you will get a quad core. even it outperforms Q9400 way beyond.YOU will get a future proof machine with a good budget.

i3,i5&i7 are built in graphics which supports HDMI,DVI, DISPLAY PORT...so you can do some sort of gaming with HD and bluray movies and stuff:smile::smile::smile:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
the guy from prime abgb said biostar 880 (didnt know the model no. )will arrive tomorrow and he will have that and the x4 630 together for 10.2k

i'll go over to lamington tomorrow then
will ask around , and go to elounge as well

thats nice. go for it than.

OP
K

Karan85

Broken In
so i have been quoted 19k-ish for

x4 635
ta 880gb HD
500 gb HDD
cm elite 310
gigabyte 460
2gb ddr3

os+assembly+delivery included

might be a few hundred less if i go there and get it personally , but that aside , is it a decent deal ?

and itwares.com also asked me to pay 50% upfront and gave me the account details ..

safe ? being recommended i dont expect any problems , but just asking

and also , do i get the receipts and warranty with it

and help would be appreciated

edit: the mobo is a 880gb HD

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
do you mean go to lamington or go for the 880+x4 630 @ 10.2k

the latter.

so i have been quoted 19k-ish for

x4 635
ta 880gb HD
500 gb HDD
cm elite 310
gigabyte 460
2gb ddr3

os+assembly+delivery included

might be a few hundred less if i go there and get it personally , but that aside , is it a decent deal ?

and itwares.com also asked me to pay 50% upfront and gave me the account details ..

safe ? being recommended i dont expect any problems , but just asking

and also , do i get the receipts and warranty with it

and help would be appreciated

edit: the mobo is a 880gb HD

x4 635 --> 5k
ta 880gb HD ---> 5k
500 gb HDD ---> 2k
cm elite 310 ---> 1.5k
gigabyte 460 ---> 2k
2gb ddr3 ---> ? 2.5k

total: 18k. so include assembling charge & you should get it at or under 19k.

about it wares, just received my cabinet, PSU, graphics card & ram a few hours ago. excellent product. i live in Guwahati, Assam & brought it from halfway across the country. got the bill. original. get from IT wares without any worry.

OP
K

Karan85

Broken In
thanks a lot .. i made the payment .. should get it tomorrow
he priced it a bit differently
everything was 50/100 more .. but with the rains and the fact that there is no direct train from where i live to lamington (changing at dadar is a nightmare) , i stayed at home and ordered.. will install the OS , assemble and deliver ..

probably overpriced by 4-500.. but i asked a couple of other shops for a quote but itwares was the best deal ..
now its done .. just hope there isnt any delay and it works fine

thanks a lot again for the help along the way

Top Bottom