New PC at 10k

har

In the zone
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:Autocad 2010+,coding. Will occasionally play games like starcraft 2. Not much gaming because I ahve a laptop with gt650m. This PC is mainly for my dad.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:10k. Extendable if needed.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:Win7,Arch Linux.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:Already have 500gb harddrive. New one not needed.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:No. Have a 20" 1600*900 samsung lcd.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:Reusing ups,harddisk,dvd drive.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:As soon as possible. max 2 days.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:Assembler.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:Kerala. Yes. Totally open to buying online.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:Autocad is the primary requirement. Not much gaming. Capability would be good though as no graphics card will be bought later. Will like it to be future proof for 4-5 years.

Bump....Its really urgent. I am now looking between the i3-2100 and the amd A6's.

The Sorrow

New to this forum
Intel G620 - 3.3k
Asus P8H61-LX - 3.1k
4gb ddr3 1333mhz ram - 1.2k
PSU Cosair CX430 - 2.3k
Cheap cabinet - 0.7k
Mouse and keyboard - 0.4k

Total - 11k

IMO, do NOT go for cheap psu because you'll surely regret later. And btw i think there is no need intel i3 2100 as no gaming but if you still want it then add 3.5k more.

Last edited:
OP
har

har

In the zone
Intel G620 - 3.3k
Asus P8H61-LX - 3.1k
4gb ddr3 1333mhz ram - 1.2k
PSU Cosair CX430 - 2.3k
Cheap cabinet - 0.7k
Mouse and keyboard - 0.4k

Total - 11k

IMO, do NOT go for cheap psu because you'll surely regret later. And btw i think there is no need intel i3 2100 as no gaming but if you still want it then add 3.5k more.

Why do you need such a costly PSU ? :noob:
Have mouse and keyboard :oops:
I wont be buying a graphics card and some 3d modelling is done in autocad. Wont the better graphics in the A6 help ?

AMD A6 3600: 4.2k
Biostar A55ML+: 2.9k
4GB DDR3 1333MHz: 1.1k
Generic cabby with PSU: 1k
Total: 9.2k

Now confused with the G620.

The Sorrow

New to this forum
Why do you need such a costly PSU ? :noob:
Have mouse and keyboard :oops:
I wont be buying a graphics card and some 3d modelling is done in autocad. Wont the better graphics in the A6 help ?

Now confused with the G620.

first things first, never ever rely on cheap desi psu's if they die 80% chances are that they will take most parts of your rig. Believe me i witnessed it 3-4 times. Mostly cheap psu damages a mobo if they fail. I'm not a intel fan, many amd processors are prone overhearting, more power consumption, etc. A6- 3600 is not bad but intel g620 will be more than enough for your dad's needs.

rahul.007

bORn To RIse....
Amd proccys prone to overheating and a higher tdp?? Are you still using older phenom proccys?? You sure are sounding like a fanboy..

@OP:- 10k is a very less budget to get a performance rig and that too futureproof for 4-5years.. better increase your budget.. if not, then the A6 config suggested above is the best that you can get in this budget..

OP
har

har

In the zone
first things first, never ever rely on cheap desi psu's if they die 80% chances are that they will take most parts of your rig. Believe me i witnessed it 3-4 times. Mostly cheap psu damages a mobo if they fail. I'm not a intel fan, many amd processors are prone overhearting, more power consumption, etc. A6- 3600 is not bad but intel g620 will be more than enough for your dad's needs.

I now understand why my PC failed. It got damaged 2 weeks after I replaced my stock PSU with a cheap one after it got damaged.

Hows this configuration ??

Biostar A55ML+ = 2600
AMD APU A8-3870K BLACK EDITION = 6400
Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333MHz = 1100

Looks awesome for the price !!

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
APU has my vote. You won't need a GPU that way for CAD.

I'm not a intel fan, many amd processors are prone overhearting, more power consumption.
If there's any processor which overheats in the market, then it's desktop Ivy Bridge. You need to check out the temperatures of Phenom II, FX-8150 and APUs. You'll be surprised to know they run a lot "cooler". FX-8150 while gulps more power than i7-2600K, but it runs a lot cooler. (Bigger die area and more heat flux to the heatsink)

Second, there hasn't been any processor which has "overheated" and gulped more power than Pentium 4. :) May be, you were using this processor long time back.

The power consumption argument is the most hilarious one I read on these forums. You know how much 30 watt power consumption difference @ FULL LOAD while running your PC 24x7 - 365 days a year translates to?

0.03 * 24 * 365 = ~263 units. Let's take Rs. 3 per unit. Then Rs. 789.

This is when you run a processor 24 hours a day, at FULL load and all 365 days a year. And this never ever happens.

So in a nutshell and in a real world scenario, you're most likely to save Rs. 70. Only two plate masala dosas in ONE year. ;)

OP
har

har

In the zone
If there's any processor which overheats in the market, then it's desktop Ivy Bridge. You need to check out the temperatures of Phenom II, FX-8150 and APUs. You'll be surprised to know they run a lot "cooler".

Second, there hasn't been any processor which has "overheated" and gulped more power than Pentium 4. :) May be, you were using this processor long time back.

Any suggestions for me ?
Should I go for the a10 at approx 10k or go g620 at 7.5k and then add a graphics card later if needed ?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ both ways are fine for me. Either ways you can't go wrong. :) Pentium G620 + HD 6570 also makes a good machine and I might be purchasing this only for a friend of mine.

Since you'll be using Arch Linux, most likely Catalyst won't be stable for you. You'll be using the AMD Open Source driver in Arch Linux. (I do the same and it is stable but doesn't have good 3D performance.) Catalyst and Ubuntu runs completely fine though.

The Sorrow

New to this forum
I'm not a fanboy. I always try to pick best. I said what i felt was good IMO. But anyway, OP needs it within 10k so it'll be best for him. Whatever you pick amd or intel do not cheap out on psu.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not a fanboy. I always try to pick best. I said what i felt was good IMO.
Not being a fanboy isn't the point. More about the fact being right. If there is anything that AMD does not do, then its overheating. :)

May be some AMD guys over here need to show off their temps.

rahul.007

bORn To RIse....
while playing bf3 at 1440X900 high settings..

*i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj565/rahul-007/fe82c52d.png

by the way i am using cm hyper 212 evo and haven't cleaned my rig for the last 5-6 months(will do so tomorrow).. on stock hsf(which was totally insufficient for pIIX4) it used to touch 65'C.. the temps of thuban proccy's and bulldozer APU's are quite lower as compared to mine..

my gpu does heat up a bit.. is max 81 ok?? also cpu-z sometimes doesn't show my 3rd HDD(like above) and sometimes it does.. what might be the problem??

Last edited:
Top Bottom