New kbd & mouse purchase help/

Status
Not open for further replies.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Hi,
My.microsoft.kbd.has.lost.sense.under.the.space.and.up.arrow.key.
So,Iam.planning.to.buy.a.new.kbd.and.mouse.after.seling.this.pair.tommorrow.

Iam.ready.to.spend.Rs.2000,but.I.want.them.to.be.comfortable.for.24/7.coding.and.other.stuff.
I.never.tried.cordless.ones.
Are.they.practical,as.in.batt.life,rechargeablity,range,orientation(u.know,without.it's.tail),etc?
I.live.in.chennai,and.will.bebuying.from.ritchie.street.tommorrow.
Any.suggestion.before.tommorrow.afternoon.are.welcome.

Sorry for the dots. It's difficult to type space like this using ms onscreen kbd.

paraman

Journeyman
I have had a bad experience with Logitech cordless sets. So far 2 have gone bad. Only the keyboards, not the mouse. So for my next purchase I am going in for Microsoft cordless combos. You could visit their website to find one that suits you.

OP
siriusb

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Thanks.
Now.I.can.rule.out.logitech.
Anyways,I.was.going.to.buy.a.microsoft.only.after.experiencing.my.current.kbd.and.mouse.
The.thing.is,MS.website.lists.everything.while.the.dealer.maynot.have.them.
So.anyone.in.Inida.having.one.of.them.can.tell.me.before.evening.if.u.can.plz.

Sourabh

Laptoping
HUh? Why are you using . (dot) and no spaces.
Hope you are not following what I had in my Signature before, 'Real Men Don't Use Spacebar'

OP
siriusb

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Lol,no.
My.spacebar.isn't.working.
That's.the.reason.I.am.changing.my.kbd.in.the.first.place.
I.stated.this.in.my.first.post.

BTW,I.am.going.to.ritchie.street.tommorrow.only.so.anyone.wants.to.advise.me.on.the.kbd.and.mouse.combo?

In.the.other.thread.I.saw.that.a.few.were.saying.cordless.mice.introduce.a.noticeable.delay.and.some.were.denying.it.
Please.advise.on.a.good.set.cordless.or.corded.within.Rs.2000.or,maybe,Rs.2500.

Sourabh

Laptoping
Sorry, but frankly its quite irritating and I couldnt understand ( read: didnt want to :D )

Get a wireless solution only if you want it. corded options suffice your needs why waste money. If you go for a wireless keyboard, mouse make sure you buy some Logitech/Microsoft and no cheapo Typhoon and Intex. I have worked on a friends Microsoft Wireless Keyboard Mouse combo (Black) which costed him some 2.5k, didnt have any probs in normal computing/browsing or so.

OP
siriusb

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Sorry if it irritated you, but I am quite sure thet not using those periods would've rendered my text more illegible.

But that aside, I have bought my new keyboard nd mouse today:
Microsoft Multimedia keyboard = Rs.1050
IBall Lazer Precise mouse = Rs.725

These were the best ones under Rs.2000 that I was able to get. I so wanted a cordless keyboard and a lazer mouse, but unfortunately all the wireless keyboards came along with a mouse of it's own. This was, my vendor said, because the kbd and mouse share the same receiving station. So, in the end, I settled for a corded solution.

PS: Is it just me, or does "iball the king" sound gay to you?

OP
siriusb

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Good vocabulary. I didn't know "eyeballing" was a word.
Anyways, I like my new duo, but have some gripes with my mouse.
The mouse is EXTREMELY sensitive, which is good and expected. But the middle mouse button is so tough to click that the first time was trying to click it, I thought there was no middle mouse click. And then there is the office shortcuts button on the mouse that I don't seem to get how to reconfigure to open some other programs, as I don't quite frequently use Office programs.
And the iball cd was filled with a couple dozen cheap freewares with a pathetic flash interface. And the mouse control applet is also not so professionally made.
But I can live with it. Especially with the comfortable contours, extra buttons and precision.

Sourabh

Laptoping
Just a few days back i read someone getting the same laser mouse from Iball for 600 Rs. in Delhi and was kinda surprised by the price cause even the official website claimed a price of 2k. Its a steal at that price when it offers 3 yrs of warranty so who cares then. The bundled Cd would for sure have some app software to configure those keys or else you would have to search the net for some good proggie which allows you to do the same. I read it can be used as a Back and Forward key in the browser. Try Preferences>advanced>Shortcuts (In Opera) or the same in otherbrowser to search the shortcuts option and press the key from the mouse and hope it gets configured as back and forward.Post some pics or even a review since its a good buy considering the price. Would help others until someone from Digit/Chip or someother to come out with a review.

OP
siriusb

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
600! I am nop good at bargaining, i guess.
And, no, what you are talking about is the side buttons on the mouse, which perform fine for me. It works as back and forward in almost all apps that have such an idea (like itunes). I was rather talking of the 6th button. Since I don't have a camera, take a look below:
*img226.imageshack.us/img226/4057/lasermouse1nn.th.gif
Here's my mouse specs.

OP
siriusb

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Darn it! My mouse's laser just stopped working. I mean, the buttons are working fine, but the cursor don't move. That's a bad experience point for iball. But they promised to replace the mouse tommorrow. I am currently using my old microsoft wheel mouse optical.
Let me tell you, it was painful to migrate to my old optical mouse after working with lazer mouse. The first thing I noticed was that my old mouse feels like a nice heavy paperweight compared to the lazer one. And second thing was how slow the cursor moves across the screen even after I had set the cursor speed to maximum. In contrast, I had to set my lazer mouse speed to around 75% to be able to use it. And ofcourse, my thumbs miss the thumb rest of the lazer mouse.

OTOH, I just love my MS multimedia keyboard. I wonder why I didn't buy it the the last time. But then I remembered the cost at that time. Oh well. Anyways, I like the volume control, the double-function function keys and other hotkeys there. The best thing is that, itunes need not be the active window at all for it to recive the play/pause and other control signals. THis is a neat feature for me since itunes will always be running in the background and I have to fumble to pause whenever I answer the phone or read a passage that requres concentration. Neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom