New Ipod Touch or New Smartphone?

Xai

Journeyman
I recently lost my Ipod Touch 3g. As a result I am looking to buy either a new Ipod Touch or a new Smartphone with good movie-viewing and music capabilities.

My current phone is a over 2yr old Samsung GT C3053. If I get a smartphone, it will be my first one.

So, which one should I go for? An Ipod Touch 5? Or a new smartphone?

Budget-wise, I do not want to splurge much, as this comes off as an unplanned, unexpected expense. I am still saving for Haswell's release :(

Template:

1. Budget: 20-25K (the lower the better, I suppose)

2. Display type and size: Should be 4.5-5 inch, good quality (ipod/iphone like) with good viewing angle.

3. Form Factor? bar, slider, flip?: No specific preference. Although, I am not a great fan of Samsung Galaxy aesthetics.

4. Preferred choice of brand? Apple (Ipod Touch), Sony (Xperia), Samsung

5. Preferred input method (QWERTY, touchscreen, numpad, touch-n-type). : Don't care much.

6. What camera option you want? Please specify need for flash, autofocus, front facing camera.: Nothing specific. Happy with a decent enough camera.

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).: Never used any except iOS.

8. Preferred connectivity options (3G, Wifi etc)Please specify clearly.: Again, no preference.

9. Preferred applications (Flash, Swype, GPS, etc)? Nothing specific in mind.

10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc): Multimedia. Will replace my lost Ipod Touch. Lots of music and movie watching, especially when traveling.

11. Any specific mobile phones in consideration? Xperia SP looks interesting.

warfreak

Talk to the hand!!!
Xperia SP would be preferable over an Ipod Touch both performance wise and in terms of app support ( some apps like whatsapp do not support ipod touch)

OP
Xai

Xai

Journeyman
How is Nexus 4 compared to Xperia SP, or even S3/Xperia Z?

Will it be a problem with after sales service if I get a Nexus 4?

Google LG Nexus 4 | LG E960 | 16GB *BRAND NEW* (Factory Unlocked) | eBay

Sudh4r

Fire Lord
I could recommend u NEXUS 4, but the catch is NO WARRANTY - so if your OK with that get a NEXUS 4. It's far superior than the XPERIA SP and S3.

Multimedia. Will replace my lost Ipod Touch. Lots of music and movie

And other limitation - 16GB, user available ~13G, So only limited movies and music.

Else SP any day.

OP
Xai

Xai

Journeyman
I went to a Sony showroom at a mall in Kolkata (South City Mall). They did not yet have a demo set for XSP, but I checked out the XZ and XZL.

Of the two, XZ was better looking, but was an absolute fingerprint magnet, marring its look. XZL was easier to hold for me, and the rubber back felt less slippery. Display was good on both, and I couldn't visibly notice the viewing angle problems people have been referring to.

While I was checking out various stores, one of the stores informed me that a Nexus phone (maybe 5?) was coming out next month. And would cost 40K. This was a bit surprising, as N4 does not cost 40K, and I thought Nexus 5 was scheduled to release in Oct-Nov this year.

Any news on whether Nexus 5 is to release in May, and its availability and pricing in India?

Google may launch an updated version of the Google Nexus 4 at its annual Google I/O conference in May

Price should not be 40k....

Xperia SP would be a great choice.
or
Wait & see, maybe Google starts selling Nexus phones in India via Play Store

OP
Xai

Xai

Journeyman
Price should not be 40k....

Xperia SP would be a great choice.
or
Wait & see, maybe Google starts selling Nexus phones in India via Play Store

I liked XZL enough to consider raising my budget :p Or maybe try for HTC One. XZL felt cosy and comfortable in my hands - I don't usually like big phones.

I think I will wait a couple of weeks anyway, to see what gets released mid-May. XSP demo sets are supposed to hit the showroom next week, so will check it out.

aroraanant

Explorer
If you are thinking of HTC One and your budget allows that then dude there is nothing better than that.Just go and grab one.
And if your budget is around 25k then look out for One X or X+ whichever falls in your budget, apart from that do have a look at the newly launched Xperia SP too.It looks quite good on papers.

Top Bottom